Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

ECU/Immobiliser issue

Search this Thread

Old 19 September 2022, 01:23 PM
Cmorris
Scooby Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ECU/Immobiliser issue

Hi all,

I’ve got an issue with my Blobeye WRX wagon:

It’s currently a fitted with the “PPP”, and to cut a long story short, I want to convert it to the standard 221? BHP and standard exhaust.

In order to do this, I purchased a second-hand standard ECU with the immobiliser module (and key), and replaced the PPP items with these.

I then paired the key by swapping the transponder module from the “new” key into an existing key, and going through the “teaching a new key” procedure with the keypad and unique PIN.

This key now unlocks/locks the car remotely, as expected, but the engine will not start using this key, but it does “turn over”. The fuel pump can be heard priming when the key is initially turned, and there is fuel being pumped to the filter.

To confirm nothing else was to blame, I refitted the PPP items and paired the old key, which successfully started the engine.

What might be preventing the engine from starting with this “new” ECU and immobiliser module? Perhaps it has something to do with the Sigma alarm?

Any help would be massively appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris
Old 19 September 2022, 01:59 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

The immobiliser module that links to the ECU is paired to the keys transponder chip and is separate to the keys pcb circuitry which links to the sigma alarm.
With the new items fitted and the key in the ignition does the red key symbol on the dash go out?? which would indicate the "new" transponder chip is being read by the "new" immobiliser module and ECU.
If it doesn't then you may have a mixed bag of second hand modules/keys.
Old 19 September 2022, 02:08 PM
Cmorris
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Don Clark
The immobiliser module that links to the ECU is paired to the keys transponder chip and is separate to the keys pcb circuitry which links to the sigma alarm.
With the new items fitted and the key in the ignition does the red key symbol on the dash go out?? which would indicate the "new" transponder chip is being read by the "new" immobiliser module and ECU.
Hi, no, with the key in the ignition, and turned to position 2 (or further), the red key light stays solid.

I have a feeling this might be a mixup of parts as you say?
Old 19 September 2022, 02:19 PM
Cmorris
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Don Clark
Great news: I’d been silly and not transferred the separate little black plastic transponder, the scooby now starts with the new ECU.

Thanks so much, my project is back on course!

Best Regards,

Chris
The following users liked this post: