Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Engine block

Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2021, 11:03 AM
Barrynye
Scooby Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine block

I’m going to start a new build and out a 2.5 in and don’t know what lump to get theres some on eBay

but I’m new to this and am a little confused of the difference between short block and long block which one will be better
Old 26 February 2021, 11:22 AM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

Short block = block without heads

Long block = short block plus heads

What power goals are you looking at. Will you be building the block up or using as is.

There are also closed deck, semi open deck and open deck versions of certain blocks. All blocks you should be able to convert to closed deck
Old 26 February 2021, 11:33 AM
Barrynye
Scooby Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 450bhp

Originally Posted by NOSSY_89
Short block = block without heads

Long block = short block plus heads

What power goals are you looking at. Will you be building the block up or using as is.

There are also closed deck, semi open deck and open deck versions of certain blocks. All blocks you should be able to convert to closed deck
Im looking to get 450 I bumped in to someone yesterday who has an RB5 that’s 450 so that’s my goal I’m just looking for a lump now on eBay but was a bit confused because there was loads of different ones and yes I wanted to do pistons and everything that is needed to make it safe and 450
Old 26 February 2021, 11:44 AM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

What I will say is think about driveability. You can get a very fast roast car with low down grunt at 450bhp. However depending on turbo you could make that number but lose your quick spooling so think about what turbo you are fitting if that makes sense. Loads of turbos will get that figure and more but will behave differently on when that power comes on.

From your other thread you have a classic so keep you ecu and use your heads or go aftermarket ecu and put the AVCS heads.

Sounds like you could get away with a bare block, that opens up a lot of options, you could get a N/A block or a blown block and build it up.

Speak to Alyn @ AS Performance, he does machining and closed deck inserts. @stockcar