Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Esl and IAM threshold / false knock

Search this Thread

Old 05 July 2018, 08:05 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Esl and IAM threshold / false knock

Well after getting fed up of what I believe is false knock within the knock control table and reducing timing to such a level I reckon the car lacks umph in that area I thought I'd try and get around it once and for all .

So in the area it picks up false knock I have adjusted advance timing table so the cells read 3 yet the total timing remains the same .

I had then set the IAM threshold to 4

Took her out and performed several full load pulls where advance is over 4 yet IAM only hit 12 .

Had lots of pops n bangs tho which was nice for a change but car didn't feel quick

Changed threshold to 3 and instantly on a pull IAM hits 16

So question , why even tho I hit advance timing cells over 4 my IAM only hit 12

I have always aimed for an IAM of 16

Last edited by The Rig; 05 July 2018 at 08:06 PM.
Old 18 July 2018, 03:47 PM
hamzi95
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

may be worth adding the extra timing to the basemap and leaving advanced to zero in that particular field.

so instead of having 18 in base and 3 in advanced just put 21 in base and 0 in advanced.

could also be that you are falling in between 2 fields so the ecu is interpolating eg between 3300 and 3500 field or between 44 and 47 load.

only time ive got activity on my knock correction table is when i over boost in 5th on the motorway, so may be worth dropping the min wg duty to a level which curbs the overboost OR you can stop trying to achieve amazing spool and instead work on lower boost in gear 1/2 but throw in timing.

on my td05, anything above 19 timing in my 3.8 to 4k timing field gives me knock correction, however my cyclic knock count dosent jump high!
Old 18 July 2018, 04:20 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah i did think about adding to base timing and leaving advanced at 0 but didnt want to maximise base timing without a little safety margin if i ever get bad fuel etc

Ive adjusted timing in 4 cells to counter act interpolated and still had false knock, det cans heard nothing, knock link didnt light up yet knock correction was being made.

Since tho i have set advanced timing to 3 in those cells and threshold to 3 i havent had false knock so hopefully its worked ( i added to base timing the 2 degress i removed from advanced timing to then give advanced timing of just 3 instead of the 5 in those cells)

My query was why when i had threshold at 4 my IAM only ever hit 12 even tho i was hitting full load full advance cells of 8 or 9 degress yet when i lowered threshold to 3 boom, instantly IAM went to 16.

My timing is similair, from load point say 45 upto 65 timing is 19 then 18 and 17 degrees at 1.4 bar anything else knocklink goes nuts ha