Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Quick question on Esl IAM

Search this Thread

Old 09 April 2017, 07:21 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Quick question on Esl IAM

If I had the threshold set to 6 and it's learnt all cells of 6 and above in the advanced timing table if I then changed it to 7 , would I need to reset the Ecu to reset the IAM to learn from scratch or be ok just making the change ?

Cheers
Old 10 April 2017, 12:03 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

not sure on the official process but any time I change knock params / IAM stuph I would reset the ECU and go learning again just as a matter of course. Shouldn't take more than a few minutes running about to get back up to full IAM anyway.
Old 10 April 2017, 12:20 AM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Cheers bud , I did think along those lines , reason I ask is at if I set threshold to 6 I get the IAM to 16 quite quick with a few WOT blasts , yet at threshold of 7 the IAM stays at 8 after reset , even tho I'm hitting cells of 7 8 and 9 in advanced timing etc

Weird .

Cheers any hoo bud
Old 10 April 2017, 12:46 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

aye -not sure on the timing now for the ESL/older ECU's but I know on the newage ones it's not enough to just hit a cell with the right amount of knock advance requested, you have to hit it for X amount of time as well. Could it be your not staying in that 7/8/9 advance cells for a long enough period of time for the IAM to bump up?

have you tried the vishnu reset where you hold the brakes on a dab to make like 5/6psi at lower RPM? This works great on the newage cars and the 99's on a stock map to get the IAM/rough correction up to full pelt quickly.
Old 10 April 2017, 03:47 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Yeah, think your right.

Having the ESL software running whilst driving, IAM set to 8 (after reset) and threshold at 6 , i can red line in 3rd and hit the 7/8/9 cells in the timing table yet IAM stays at 8.
If i go into 5th Gear , cruise at 3k and then floor the throttle and hit boost etc the IAM then went to 10 (After hitting the same cells) , repeat process, IAM goes to 12, then 14 then 16.

So we have learnt, like you say, just hitting the cells doesnt alter IAM

i havnt tried with threshold at 7 again as ran out of time, yet i might just change the threshol to 7 now IAM is at 16 as i only drove down the bypass and know the 6 cells and below in the timing dont create knock via det cans.

Reason i need to increase the threshold is because im getting false knock readings in the knock control table. can drive for days and have no negative figures in the knock control table, then all of a sudden if i check the software, i see a -2 or so in a cells at around 2800 rpm mid throttle load.

maybe the gearbox is noisy or something, so hence increasing threshold to 7

cheers again bud
Old 12 April 2017, 08:33 PM
ben.harris
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it an 'odd numbers' thing? I don't think I've ever seen the IAM read anything other than even numbers. Even after resetting, i seem to recall that the logs sit at 8 for a bit (a couple of miles) and then goes 10, 12, 14, 16 pretty quickly when it next builds some boost - probably within a quarter of a mile.

I could be completely wrong on this, but i think j the ESL manual explains how the IAM is calculated. Perhaps the formula Subaru use doesn't allow for odd numbers...
Old 12 April 2017, 10:48 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Yeah, the IAM goes up in even numbers, but are you saying the Threshold cant be an odd number ?

cheers
Old 12 April 2017, 10:52 PM
ben.harris
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah, gotcha. I was thinking of the reset IAM value, not the threshold value. Best ignore me - I haven't played around with the threshold. :-)
Old 14 April 2017, 07:16 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

well, had a little dabble today as my knock control table keeps "randomly" adding a -1 in the cell for 2800 at 40 load, even tho in the advance timing table i have 5 in this cell and a couple of cells around it and my threshold is 6, it shouldnt be learning this area as i believe its a false knock because my knocklink doesnt light up nor do i hear anything through the det cans.

Anyhoo, i set the thresold to 7, reset ECU and went for ablast, my IAM didnt move above 8 (its default value from a reset) no matter how i drove and yes i hit cells of 8 and 9 in the advance table for long enough.

I tried a thresold of 8 maybe thinking it had to be an even value, nope, IAM stayed at 8.

So, reduced my threshold back down to 6 and IAM goes from 8, to 10 14 then 16 within a few blats.

weird huh !!

My timing map hadnt changed for the -1 to be recorded , i had to reset my car battery hence losing stored data, before the battery change i had done around 3000 miles of good solid driving with no knock correction, the reset of the ecu and pap, a -1 in the 2800 at 40 load cell Grrrrr