Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

ESL - 2 port to 3 port boost solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 20 May 2016, 07:05 PM
ben.harris
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ESL - 2 port to 3 port boost solenoid

I've got a 3-port boost solenoid that I intend to fit at the weekend. I've spent the last few weeks playing with the min and max duties for the boost map in ESL and have now got it pretty sorted with the 2-port on there at the moment. I just wondered if anyone can advise what they've had to tweak, when installing a 3-port?

Also, if anyone has an example of a map for a 3-port with the TD04 that I could use as a starting point - or at very least compare to my current boost map, that'd be very helpful too!

Were there any early cars that came from the factory with a TD04 and 3-port solenoid? If so, I'll see if Andy supplied any maps for their ECU's that I can look at.
Old 23 May 2016, 09:42 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

for the 3port start by reducing your min/max values by about 30% - that should get you back in the ball park. The turbo dynamics you can likely get away without adjusting unless your getting a lot of variation/chopping of the wastegate once your spooled up but don't reduce them too much or it will take too long for the ECU to make corrections to boost error.
Old 23 May 2016, 10:49 AM
ben.harris
Scooby Regular

Perfect - thanks. That gives me a good starting point. I didn't get around to playing with it at the weekend in the end, so it's something I still need to do. I've included a screenshot of my current min/max maps in case they're useful for anyone! They've already been reduced quite a bit after fitting my sports cat downpipe, trick uppipe and ported headers.

Old 23 May 2016, 11:31 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

you should set your 0/0 cells to 0% wgdc otherwise you'll be working the solenoid even when the car is sitting idle. No point using it up when there's no chance of making any boost.
Old 23 May 2016, 12:15 PM
ben.harris
Scooby Regular

Makes perfect sense, but I think it does that anyway. It seems like there are some default values which aren't exposed in ESL for when the TPS is sending an 'foot off' signal. The log below certainly implies this, as it was taken this morning using the same boost min/max profiles shown in my earlier post. You can see a large section where I was sitting at traffic lights where there wastegate duty is showing zero. (Still warming up, hence the high-ish idle). Also, anywhere where the TPS registers as 'foot-off', the wastegate duty appears to drop to zero.

Old 23 May 2016, 12:33 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

ahah - not so bad then, but still at 1500prm/5% throttle your not making boost in any gear I wouldn't bother running the solenoid if its not needed.
Old 23 May 2016, 01:00 PM
ben.harris
Scooby Regular

That's a fair point. I shall tweak! :-)

Trending Topics

Old 27 July 2016, 08:32 AM
duster
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did same thing few years back, i recommend u make boost target map as logical as it could be in reality, duty tables low gas columns to zero and interpolate to the wot, thats the only way on my setup the boost control was spot-on, no boost spikes on high gears and big lag on low gears. Otherwise it spiked on quarter gas to almost fuelcut and very nervous car. I installed restrictor pill too where it belongs on 3 port system, because otherwise duty cycles were so low, that boost needle flikkered a little up and down and wasnt stabile enough.
Old 27 July 2016, 08:53 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

if you find the boost wobbling round a bit on a three port you can also adjust the turbo dynamics - adding the pill works too but you can do fix it by reducing the turbo dynamics values as they control the speed at which the ECU swings the corrections around based on boost error.
Old 28 July 2016, 05:04 PM
ben.harris
Scooby Regular

I still haven't fitted my 3-port yet. House move, plus lots of other things have had to take priority over ECU tweaking. All sounds like good advice that I'll take on board when I do though! Cheers! :-)