Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Rear o2 sensor code problem.

Search this Thread

Old 02 November 2015, 06:10 PM
Hammerfoot49
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear o2 sensor code problem.

Hi,i am new to the Scoobynet .I,ve owned a 2001 wrx uk 300 for the last fiv e years and enjoyed every moment .Recently (due to daft prices the sti are asking ) I went down the modifiying route.Fitted sti up pipe , prodrive sports cat , vf 35 , plugs, fuel pump etc.I then took the car down to the Scooby clinic for a remap .Everything seemed ok until this weekend when the cel came on.I got the code checked and it was the rear downpipe o2 sensor .This seemed to come when doing a poxy 50 mph in roadworks on the m1.Now the question ive been getting is should the remap it had sorted any potential before the light came on? Ive rang the clinic ,they said bring it down for a code check but I fear a hefty bill might be on the cards. Thanks
Old 02 November 2015, 08:35 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammerfoot49
Hi,i am new to the Scoobynet .I,ve owned a 2001 wrx uk 300 for the last fiv e years and enjoyed every moment .Recently (due to daft prices the sti are asking ) I went down the modifiying route.Fitted sti up pipe , prodrive sports cat , vf 35 , plugs, fuel pump etc.I then took the car down to the Scooby clinic for a remap .Everything seemed ok until this weekend when the cel came on.I got the code checked and it was the rear downpipe o2 sensor .This seemed to come when doing a poxy 50 mph in roadworks on the m1.Now the question ive been getting is should the remap it had sorted any potential before the light came on? Ive rang the clinic ,they said bring it down for a code check but I fear a hefty bill might be on the cards. Thanks
What code have you got
Old 02 November 2015, 09:00 PM
Hammerfoot49
Scooby Newbie

I'm not sure about the actual code number but was told it was the sensor in the sports cat down pipe
Old 03 November 2015, 09:34 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

if it's the rear o2 then they can disable it in the map along with the corrections for it and you'll be on your way in no time.
Old 03 November 2015, 04:23 PM
Hammerfoot49
Scooby Newbie

Hi, ive got the code p.0037 bank 1 sensor 2 o2 circuit.The code is no longer showing due to the reader getting rid of it,not sure if it will come back on until I have a decent run out in car.The car was mapped late oct so I wasn't expecting a sensor to come on .Like I said in earlier post ,I don't want charging for this map to be put right , it should have been sorted initialy. Thanks for your replies.
Old 03 November 2015, 04:36 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

fone them and ask is the best way to go then - rear o2 should've been deleted when the car was mapped as you say but it's down to the originally mapper if they will do it in good faith or not.
Old 03 November 2015, 07:00 PM
Hammerfoot49
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the replies,could the problem with the sensor cause a slight increase in fuel consumption and a whiff of petrol in the car also it feels abit hesitant when on the accelerator .The cars only got 57,000 on clock , ive read these sensors can last a lot longer.
Old 04 November 2015, 09:37 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

the sensors can last longer, but if the cats have been removed or the power increased with a remap then you can expect them to die off a little quicker. The smell in the car is usually a sign of an exhaust leak somewhere - have the downpipe to center pipe link checked as the donut gasket is a popular item.

A leaky exhaust would also effect fuel economy - but yes also if the rear o2 wasn't mapped out properly it can also impact things.
Old 04 November 2015, 04:36 PM
Hammerfoot49
Scooby Newbie

Hi, all gaskets including cone one were brand new when the work was done ,the only cat left on is the prodrive sports downpipe.I will get them checked out.Ta
Old 05 November 2015, 02:02 AM
nortonscooby
Scooby Regular

Bank 1 sensor in the header mate. I had a uk300 and went same route(turbo,injectors,remap etc) and my eml light came on within few weeks. Changed sensor and was fine. Buy a new genuine denso item. Easy d.i.y job if you want save on labour costs. 22mm spanner,wd40. Its on right hand side of headers so front wheel off and arch liner out. 30min job.
Old 05 November 2015, 09:08 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

dont even need the whole arch liner out - there's a little flap you can take out for access
Old 05 November 2015, 04:24 PM
Hammerfoot49
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the replies, sorry for the ignorance but is the problem still linked to the sensor in the downpipe?where the best place for a replacement?