Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

am i seeing knock in logs?

Search this Thread

Old 01 July 2015, 12:50 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default am i seeing knock in logs?

hi guys, ive just started using romraider to do some logging as a dip my toe in the water type of thing as im interested in learning about open source tuning etc. my car is an 02 bug sti, minimal mods just a k&n panel filter and miltek exhaust with cats still in place. paperwork with the car said it has been mapped to 300bhp on ecutek. i logged a virtual dyno run which suggested a whp figure of 261 bhp (i know these things arent very accurate) which i think equates to around the 300bhp mark with drivetrain losses taken into account. i also logged a few wot runs with suggested parameters in the romraider faq and if im reading them correctly i think i have engine knock in both runs!
around the 5000rpm mark the FLKC pulls a negative number of -1.05 and in the second run it pulls -1.76. the iam remains at 16 but it does look like its pulling timing. the fact it happens in the same rev range 5k-7k im guessing means its not just noise etc. im hoping someone who knows their stuff can look at the logs and give me some insight as i dont know if im way off with my assumptions here.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

thanks.
Old 01 July 2015, 01:55 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

your IAM is still at 16 so nothing too terrible is going on, your fine learning knock correction around 5000rpm onwards would suggest the ecu heard knock and pulled timing accordingly. It's less than 2 degrees being pulled so not the end of the world.

Going by the airflow readings I'd say your probably a bit over 300hp maybe more like 310.

Did you take this log on a nice flat surface in 3rd or 4th gear? 4th gives better results if you have the room. Also your a bit low on boost - might be worth logging primary wastegate duty as well as boost (which you should switch to manifold relative pressure direct). Do a log with that, VVTL cam advance (left or right) and gear - it's handy to check the AVCS is running as it should.
Old 02 July 2015, 12:56 AM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

thanks for the reply m8. log was done on a fairly flat road and in 3rd gear. i will do another few runs with the parameters you suggest and post them up. i did have an issue with the avcs solenoid which was swapped out for a working one and the boost pill was missing when i bought the car so i replaced it with a 1mm pill. i bought a cobb tuning pill which was 0,8 mm but it was overboosting to 1.5 bar so i removed it and put back the 1mm one. im sure i read that the sti should have a pill at 0.9mm so its maybe not hitting the correct boost because of that.
Old 02 July 2015, 09:14 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

aye STI pill is usually 0.9mm but if the car was mapped on the 1.0mm pill then that's what you need to keep - the 0.8mm will give you some overboost so that's normal enough, it would be worse if the car was mapped for a 1.0mm pill though.
Old 02 July 2015, 11:17 AM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

i dont know what it was mapped for unfortunately but im planning to visit andy forrest shortly to have the map checked over as i have just started with romraider and have nowhere near enough knowledge yet to start tinkering. can you flash using vag cables btw? had someone ask me but i wasnt sure? thanks again.
Old 02 July 2015, 11:20 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

you can do a "mad mod" on a vagcom cable to allow it to flash, but it won't work on your ECUtek locked ECU so romraider is out for you mr. If andy didn't originally map the car he may not be able to read the current map so you'll be in for a full remap as well.
Old 02 July 2015, 11:28 AM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

yeah kinda figured that but im pretty cartain it was andy who mapped it or john banks as they were the 2 guys doing mapping up this way. i just want to know the engine is running safely. so if i log a few more runs with your suggested parameters and there is still a bit of knock showing what would the solution be to stop or reduce the knocking? im guessing someone like andy would lower the timing in that range and adjust fuelling afr,s etc to suit? is that how to "dial" it out?

Trending Topics

Old 02 July 2015, 11:34 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

yes generally that's the plan - you could try a bottle of octane booster and see if it goes away too.
Old 02 July 2015, 11:37 AM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

ok thanks for your insights bud very helpful. will try and get a few runs tommorrow and post up the logs. might try the octane booster as well.