Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Remapping with standard boost - Valid?

Search this Thread

Old 05 April 2015, 10:43 PM
Squarepant5
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remapping with standard boost - Valid?

May seem like a strange question and possibly counter-intuitive but I'm considering having my 04' Blob WRX non PPP remapped (87k) as I'm lead to believe a remap can increase fuel economy/driveablilty (is that a word?) and of course increase power. However, I don't necessarily wan't to increase power as a) it's quick enough (never thought I'd say that) and b) given the unknown history of the car (bought with little SH) I don't want to start increasing loads on the ring lands, big ends and head gaskets. I want this car to remain reliable and increasing boost is the easiest way that I can see to potentially causing big issues.

For context, I'm from the Toyota world where I had to rebuild my 3SGTE in my GT-Four 3 times due to boost breaking ring lands. I never want to see a picture from my engine builder showing a piston that's broken in half ever again

So to cut through my waffling; does anyone recommend a remap if power levels are to be kept the same/very similar or is it a waste of money?
Old 06 April 2015, 12:05 AM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Buy an Tactrix Openport,(I have a classic so use ESL(love it )do your own mapping. If you're just wanting to improve power delivery,get the turbo spooling up a little quicker,get your torque working where your right foot asks it too. Tweak the car for your driving style and if you ever decide to do upgrades then you have the capability to tweak the map.
I have had great advice and help on this forum with mapping my own car.

Last edited by ossett2k2; 06 April 2015 at 12:07 AM.
Old 06 April 2015, 01:00 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

the fuel economy saving comes from reducing the fuel used whilst on boost, but like anything your doing - increasing the power output is reducing the safety margin. The knock on effect of leaning the mixture a little is extra poke and quicker spool up, but of course that's also going to increase load on the engine.

I wouldn't be terribly worried about a mild level remap though, prodrive PPP maps were applied to standard engines left right and center. They increased the power output and improved fuel economy (albeit with the help of a cat removal) and a fancy silicone intercooler pipe).

Stage 1 stuph you should be happy enough with doing, if you don't know the history of the car then start with the basics, a good thorough service of fluids/oils/gearbox/diff etc. Get the car in tip top condition, then move on to preventative things like fuel pump and scrapping the uppipe cat. Then the big power changes - a nice sportscat downpipe (also works as a second cat delete) and backbox/center section of your chosing. Map as you go or map at the end or have a professional mapper do that part for you and you'll find a whole new level of WRX appreciation
Old 06 April 2015, 01:39 PM
brendy76
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A mild increase in boost while working on air fuel ratio can give you a nice increase in drivability and make it a touch more frugal but lets face it, you wont be improving things by anything vastly noticeable but getting up to speed etc will be a nicer experience. A standard wrx vs a wrx running 15psi (15 is conservative) isnt even a contest and feels how a wrx really should have been produced.
Old 06 April 2015, 07:31 PM
Squarepant5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ossett2k2
do your own mapping

In my hands ossett that's a terrible idea I'm sure with someone competent in that dept it's a great idea but I am not one for electronics and software. I'm happy just spinning spanners.

Bludgod - that's a really helpful reply thank you. Even the number of cats on these things confused me for a while, but that lays out stage 1 mods clearly and is also a reassurance that looking at the turbo funny won;t necessarily grenade the engine. I've already given it a major service shortly after I took ownership inc' a cambelt change and plugs. It has a Milltek cat back exhaust so would be sports cat and up pipe and we'd be good should that be the route I go down. Thanks again.

That's what I was thinking Brendy, It's almost as though I'd be under utilizing a mapper by not asking for a noticeable increase in boost but again I'm (no doubt overly) pessimistic from past experiences, I'd rather have 40hp less than a bit more wind and be worried about giving it some stick.

It does sound like the WRXs respond very well to a remap/boost. Maybe a slight increase could be programmed that won't have me on pins.

Cheers for all replies, all very interesting
Old 13 April 2015, 10:40 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Fuel economy doesn't really come from reducing fuel in the on boost high load areas, more from mapping a leaner afr in the cruise and low load areas. I've run 15.2 while cruising in 5th at 70mph.
Old 13 April 2015, 11:07 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I also found a general increase in fuel economy by making a little more power. With the extra poke I reach cruising speed easier and without having to rev as high in each gear - it's more of a cumulative effect though you'll notice over time.