Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Re LPG Recommendations for high mileage

Search this Thread

Old 16 March 2015, 02:07 PM
UK-Shane
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re LPG Recommendations for high mileage

Just wandering if anyone has had success in installing LPG conversion (into Turbo impreza models) and doing 40K + miles without valve wear or other issues?

I know that LPG installations vary enormously depending on what and how it's fitted. In particular I was interested in hearing from people who have had systems fitted with electronic independent valve lubricant system ( not centrally drip fed ) please.
Old 16 March 2015, 06:42 PM
rb5 stu
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 16 March 2015, 07:38 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

just buy a cheap run around
Old 16 March 2015, 11:56 PM
fawor
BANNED

Im on lpg, end of july will be 5 years.
Paid 700, it saves me 5k or more at a minute, no lubrication and funny thing i did two oil changes with filters(ive got 3rd filter and oil but don't see a point to do it)
I used motul and silkolene oils, now on millers nanodrive 50/10 (just top up)
I think i have more fun on lpg, i can trash it all the time , its so cheap.
if i need more power(approx 10%) i can swap on petrol during 1s.
There could be no difference between lpg and petrol with better injectors and vaporizer.
tidgy why You don't drive Yours on race fuel all the time-to expensive?
there will be no difference for daily car mapped for the same power on lpg,petrol or race fuel.
Old 17 March 2015, 12:05 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by fawor
Im on lpg, end of july will be 5 years.
Paid 700, it saves me 5k or more at a minute, no lubrication and funny thing i did two oil changes with filters(ive got 3rd filter and oil but don't see a point to do it)
I used motul and silkolene oils, now on millers nanodrive 50/10 (just top up)
I think i have more fun on lpg, i can trash it all the time , its so cheap.
if i need more power(approx 10%) i can swap on petrol during 1s.
There could be no difference between lpg and petrol with better injectors and vaporizer.
tidgy why You don't drive Yours on race fuel all the time-to expensive?
there will be no difference for daily car mapped for the same power on lpg,petrol or race fuel.
only vpower goes in mine, i dint buy a performance car to worry about MPG and put crap fuel in it lol

i have my run around for that
Old 17 March 2015, 12:56 AM
Superbracey
Scooby Regular

To many people, having an Impreza AND a runaround would be impractical because they don't want to tax, insure, MOT, service and store two cars.

They may want to use the Impreza for its all round day to day ability and its performance but would be willing to lose 10% of the maximum performance to save 000's each year when driving in traffic or on the commute. Similarly, the additional weight may blunt performance and handling slightly but be outweighed by the fuel cost savings.

They can switch to petrol at the flick of the switch and hoon it with all 100% of the power at any time they like.

Having mine converted would make financial sense. I could recoup the initial purchase cost of the car in about 2 1/2 years in fuel savings because of my commute.

If only I could be certain of the long term durability of the LPG system and reliability of the engine then I'd be getting quotes now after 3 weeks of ownership. But for now there are two many question marks. My main concern would be how a car designed to run on high octane petrol would cope on LPG. My understanding on the technical side of LPG conversions is not great, but I can see the appeal of the conversion. After all, there are many far more complex, powerful and exotic cars running on it.

I've seen discussions on the subject before and people have asked why you would buy a performance car and want to convert it to LPG. Simple - it's about having your cake and eating it. If money were no object I could buy a faster car that does 10mpg but running costs are a consideration for a lot of us. Doesn't mean we're not petrol heads.
Old 17 March 2015, 02:31 AM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

Jura11 had LPG on WRX Wagon

Last edited by riiidaa; 17 March 2015 at 02:33 AM.
Old 17 March 2015, 01:22 PM
fawor
BANNED

Originally Posted by Tidgy
only vpower goes in mine, i dint buy a performance car to worry about MPG and put crap fuel in it lol

i have my run around for that
i have my scoob as run around and always abroad when i rent some like You probably drive daily (metro ) it make me sick
like i wrote no money for race fuel map and tight brain answer
look above, its could be with the same power as petrol, mine map is the same as prodrive but i lost 10% as normal on lpg.
better injectors and could be the same,its not about fuel like You know its about parts which You use
How many miles You do per year and how many people keep it as a toy and have 2nd family car
i put tesco momentum i found its better than Vpower
other way how many maps other owners have and they dont drive always on best map, the same like modern cars have few maps and i dont think everybody drive on race mode
juras wrx died on lpg after few months
main concern with lpg are lines thick, vaporizer and injectors to match Your car power
its possible to do it on impreza up to 400hp on 4 injectors but best is stick to 350
you could use 8 but cost will be bigger
about weight, 56 litres lpg vs 60 litres petrol , its starts on petrol for about mile or less then dont need to much monthly
I have trips to Europe and could drive longer distance with 2 tanks,its depends what You need from a car

Last edited by fawor; 17 March 2015 at 01:36 PM.
Old 30 March 2015, 03:51 PM
arumdevil
Scooby Regular

I would suggest you ask this question over at UKlegacy.com. Many members (including myself) have been/are running LPG in mostly the twin-turbo variants, but a few on the H6 3.0L and possibly one or two on the newer twin-scroll turbos.

I ran LPG on a 1997 GT-B Limited (twin-turbo) which was already on around 120k miles or so when I connected it, and did and I put another 25-30k miles or so on it on LPG. I eventually killed the engine but it was nothing to do with the LPG install, but rather a stupid mistake on my part. I had a simple vacuum flash-lube system running on it.

I now have a 2005 twinscroll legacy which I plan to put the LPG gear on soon.
Old 27 July 2015, 08:42 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

I did a diy install of bigas Lpg on my last 98 wrx. Ran fine on and off boost.

Advantages were

fuel economy and it auto switching to petrol when over certain inj opening times for performance

Longer vehicle range before fillups

Free parking scheme from Sheffield council