Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Ecu reset

Search this Thread

Old 05 January 2015, 12:37 PM
Manford
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ecu reset

I've had a few niggly issues with my car since i got it, nothing major but there all sorted now. As far as im aware the ecu has never been reset since day dot, is it worth doing? Im thinking any issues, long term running on lower ron fuel, ageing of parts would all affect the map and adjustments the ecu makes?
If I was to take the car to be mapped, the ecu would be reset as part of the process? so you could potentially get gains by clearing out old data and letting it resort itself out?

I read the best way to get it to learn is get it warm, reset the ecu, turn off and back on again, go for a drive off boost (below 2500rpm), find somewhere you can hold the car in third, full throttle but use the brake to hold it at 2500rpm for 5 secs, true? sounds like hassle.
Old 05 January 2015, 01:56 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

yes - doesn't need to be 3rd gear you can do it in 2nd gear as well the IAM will rocket up from the base value to 16 (the correct and maximum value) unless you've a newer car then it will rocket up to 1.0 as the highest value.

If you have a VAGcom or an openport cable you can check this using the romraider logger software.
Old 05 January 2015, 02:09 PM
Manford
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I have a cable, do I need to short the pins out on the connector under the steering wheel? assuming I have the 4 pin type?

I'm using ecuExplorer and this cable, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1409613597...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I did try connecting to the car at lunch but didnt get very far, said i need to link the connector, but i thought I would be able to see live info and reset the ecu without shorting the connector.

Cars a blob eye wrx.
Old 07 January 2015, 03:36 PM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ECU is constantly updating it's learned data, so "clearing out old data" is a false concept. It should find it's way back to the same learned data on the same fuel.