Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

RB5 tuning advice

Search this Thread

Old 23 November 2014, 08:19 PM
Jack Rose
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RB5 tuning advice

So earlier this year I sold my Evo X running 430/400 not mega power but pretty enjoyable. Iv regretted it ever since, iv managed to get myself an RB5 (always wanted one) which needs some work but once the body work is sorted I can start spending on some performance mods.

So I'm just after a bit of advice, after brake's and decent suspension I'm going to be looking at wanting 350-400hp. I have been looking through threads but it's all a bit vague as to what's needed. Obviously bolt on mods like intercooler, 3" exhaust, fuel pump etc. Some advice on whether il need to be looking at a forge build or not would be great and also a local reputed tuner to get in touch with. I'm based in Bicester (Oxfordshire)

It's had a short block rebuild within the last 50k miles along with exedy clutch and lightened flywheel.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Jack
Old 23 November 2014, 08:36 PM
BBB3
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good luck seeing 350! You will need a build to see 400, all they are a UK turbo in a nice colour.
Old 23 November 2014, 08:46 PM
Jack Rose
Scooby Regular

What's your problem? I enquired about your wheels and got a **** head comment back, my initial offer was 'stupid' but only because It was a pretty obvious typo! I asked for some advice, not stupid sarcastic comments saying 'it's a UK Turbo in a nice colour' well done Sherlock good observations, now please don't comment unless you have some useful info.
Old 23 November 2014, 08:55 PM
BBB3
Scooby Regular

It's the truth with being a uk turbo in a nice colour as for my wheels I don't know what your on about?!?! I had loads of stupid offers! Plus they wouldn't of fit anyway being 5x114.3, I had a uk turbo which is the same as a RB5 and I got 352bhp out of it which was a time bomb, to see 400 you will need a build to be there safely...I have no problem and was giving you advice.....
Old 23 November 2014, 09:19 PM
Jack Rose
Scooby Regular

Appreciate the advice, you could of just said about you're UK Turbo rather than just 'good luck'. Anyways I didn't start the thread to make any enemies. Thanks for the advice on the last post it's appreciated.

Some ideas on price of a forged build would be good, I know what's entailed cost-wise with an Evo, so would be interested in the difference with the scooby boxer engine.
Old 23 November 2014, 09:22 PM
BBB3
Scooby Regular

I had a 8MR, I've seen prices from 4k upwards best to speak to engine tuner.
Also the gearboxes are chocolate might be worth considering a 6 speed.
Old 23 November 2014, 09:31 PM
Jack Rose
Scooby Regular

Ok cheers, thanks for that very helpful
Old 23 November 2014, 09:37 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

You could pick up a 2nd hand newage sti block and fit some sti version 5/6 heads to it unless you want to run newage avcs heads which means more expense and an aftermarket ecu, this would give you and engine that will comfortably run 450bhp giving you some headroom.

You're looking around £1200-1400 minus labour for either option and then you're also going to need a better gearbox 6 speed would be my choice another £1200-1600 there. Turbo such as an sc42 or mdx321h will set you back same again new, personally I would for an aftermarket alcatek ecu to ditch the troublesome standard maf sensor look about £1k inc mapping.

As you can see its adds up quickly you will need bigger injectors, engine tuner is probably your best bet around that area you could also contact finch motorsport about a forged build too but personally i would go for a newage sti engine at this level to keep costs reasonable.
Old 23 November 2014, 10:01 PM
Jack Rose
Scooby Regular

Cheers bud. That's very helpful much appreciated.
Old 23 November 2014, 10:03 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by banny sti
You could pick up a 2nd hand newage sti block and fit some sti version 5/6 heads to it unless you want to run newage avcs heads which means more expense and an aftermarket ecu, this would give you and engine that will comfortably run 450bhp giving you some headroom.

You're looking around £1200-1400 minus labour for either option and then you're also going to need a better gearbox 6 speed would be my choice another £1200-1600 there. Turbo such as an sc42 or mdx321h will set you back same again new, personally I would for an aftermarket alcatek ecu to ditch the troublesome standard maf sensor look about £1k inc mapping.

As you can see its adds up quickly you will need bigger injectors, engine tuner is probably your best bet around that area you could also contact finch motorsport about a forged build too but personally i would go for a newage sti engine at this level to keep costs reasonable.
This, I'm currently doing simlar.
Sti 7/8 short block with v4 sti heads, 740cc injectors, gt30 and all the other essentials
Old 23 November 2014, 11:17 PM
tweaks
Scooby Regular

Bits for 400,
sti short block
Esl ecu
20g sized turbo
Front mount (no cheap ****)
660cc or larger injectors
Parallel fuel rail conversion
Fuelab fuel pressure reg
340lph fuel pump
Ngk pfr7b plugs
Big cone filter
Full 3" exhaust ideally
Ported standard headers or gt spec tubular.
20% meth map should see over 400.
That's about it,I'd recommend a low temp thermostat as well.

Quick write up off top of my head,
also
sti heads
uprated clutch (pink box organic)
I wouldn't worry about the box until it breaks though, i've not broken one yet and others will tell you they've broke them at 20bhp.
esl due for release very soon apparently.

Tim

Last edited by tweaks; 23 November 2014 at 11:18 PM.
Old 26 November 2014, 08:46 PM
6VOLT
Scooby Regular

Hi jack. I live between aylesbury and bicester and also own an rb5...why the 400 mark? The classic scoob is alot lighter than you evo x was...ill soon be fitting a vf35 turbo and having my map tweaked.ill be keeping the 440 injectors and aim for 320 ish..more could be acomplished with higher cc injectors but the 5 speed boxes are known to be getting out of their comfort zone at 350 plus...perhaps you would be surprised by a low to mid 300 car?....I presume you know chris and co at auto torque?
Old 26 November 2014, 09:28 PM
Jack Rose
Scooby Regular

Hello mate, I was more curious as to how much 400 entailed rather than going the whole hog. Iv just been offered an Evo 6 which has thrown a spanner in the works lol. Id love to meet up once you've got the vf35 fitted and map tweeked to see the difference over mine.

I do know Chris at Auto Torque yea, he did quite a bit if work on my X, are they doing the work on your RB?
Old 27 November 2014, 10:21 AM
6VOLT
Scooby Regular

No bud, im happy to do the majority of my own spanner work on the car so i'll be fitting the turbo etc. I'll definitely be using him soon for a geo set up after a few mods that i'll be having done in a few weeks. I'll obviously need to choose a mapper to tweak the ecu for me, its currently at 272 on the standard td04 turbo, and its pretty nippy, my last Scooby was a 2005 wide track with 363bhp... but the seat of my pants dyno tells me that a low to mid 300 classic will feel a lot faster so maybe you will be happy with that?
Depending on how much you paid for your rb I would suggest keeping hold.. I have read a few articles mentioning these cars and they will go up in value if looked after.. clean classics are becoming harder and harder to find...But i'm ignoring all that and im chopping up the arches and going wide are with fat wheels n tyres in the next couple of weeks.

I'm by no means an oracle of any kind but if you fancy a chat , bit of advice or a poke around another rb give me a shout on pm, a few of my friends have scoobs round here also so plenty of knowledge knocking about

Dan