Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

engine check light comes on then comes off

Search this Thread

Old 14 November 2014, 04:02 PM
tara-louise
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine check light comes on then comes off

Recently bought Subaru Impreza turbo. Not really had many problems since buying it but like all cars needs a few tweaks here and there. Any way recently noticed check engine light keeps coming on will stay on for a few seconds then goes. Even if its in idle or moving. What could be causing this.. Someone said oil but surely oil light would come on?? Xx
Old 14 November 2014, 04:10 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Oil generally won't cause the check engine light to come on, it will cause the oil light to come on.

What age is the car and what spec?

Check engine light covers so many engine issues the only way someone on here can help you is if you get the fault code read by a fault code reader. Chances are even if the light has gone out the code will be stored in the ECU fault code history file.

Once known post back and we'll all help.

Good luck!
Old 14 November 2014, 05:09 PM
tara-louise
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing
Oil generally won't cause the check engine light to come on, it will cause the oil light to come on.

What age is the car and what spec?

Check engine light covers so many engine issues the only way someone on here can help you is if you get the fault code read by a fault code reader. Chances are even if the light has gone out the code will be stored in the ECU fault code history file.

Once known post back and we'll all help.

Good luck!
Its either 2000\2001 plate not exactly sure on that one, thanks for the advice thou, xx
Old 14 November 2014, 06:18 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing
Oil generally won't cause the check engine light to come on, it will cause the oil light to come on. What age is the car and what spec? Check engine light covers so many engine issues the only way someone on here can help you is if you get the fault code read by a fault code reader. Chances are even if the light has gone out the code will be stored in the ECU fault code history file. Once known post back and we'll all help. Good luck!
I think it's a MY00/01 UK Turbo 2000 in standard form.

Do they have OBD2?
Old 14 November 2014, 06:31 PM
tara-louise
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by piehole1983
I think it's a MY00/01 UK Turbo 2000 in standard form.<br />
<br />
Do they have OBD2?
<br />
<br />
As you can guess I'm new to to Subaru page and I dont know what you mean by obd2, sorry. Its a uk one so I think your right there. Also is there any easier way to get to spark plugs as my engine is what they call a upside down engine apparently, the spark plugs are at the sides not on top, do I need a specific tool? I feel really stupid asking but id rather ask then ruin my baby lol Xxx

Last edited by tara-louise; 14 November 2014 at 06:44 PM. Reason: added more
Old 14 November 2014, 06:46 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

OBD2 is just a standard type of diagnostic system installed in cars after a certain year (96 maybe?) but it was made compulsory at a later stage (maybe 99/00) so your car might not actually have it. Mine doesn't. However, Subaru did equip our cars with their own diagnostic system before OBD2 was a requirement. There's a guide on here on how to check fault codes. I'll try to find it and post a link.
Old 14 November 2014, 06:48 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

Regarding the spark plugs, normal tools are fine for the job. You're engine is the same as mine and it's certainly not upside down. It's a flat four.

Trending Topics

Old 14 November 2014, 06:51 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same issue a couple of years back with my wifes car! Turned out it was the knock sensor. Best taking it somewhere and getting the codes read to be sure
Old 14 November 2014, 07:05 PM
tara-louise
Scooby Regular

OBD2 is just a standard type of diagnostic system installed in cars after a certain year (96 maybe?) but it was made compulsory at a later stage (maybe 99/00) so your car might not actually have it. Mine doesn't. However, Subaru did equip our cars with their own diagnostic system before OBD2 was a requirement. There's a guide on here on how to check fault codes. I'll try to find it and post a link.
Id really appreciate that thank you xx
Old 14 November 2014, 07:06 PM
tara-louise
Scooby Regular

Regarding the spark plugs, normal tools are fine for the job. You're engine is the same as mine and it's certainly not upside down. It's a flat four.

Haha I didn't think so but I just said what my mate had told me but least I know what the actual name is for my engine, its a weird one ill give u that, never seen a engine like that before xxx
Old 14 November 2014, 07:08 PM
tara-louise
Scooby Regular

There isn't enough room to get a spark plug remover in there. There's no room lol xx
Old 14 November 2014, 07:09 PM
tara-louise
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BLU
I had the same issue a couple of years back with my wifes car! Turned out it was the knock sensor. Best taking it somewhere and getting the codes read to be sure
All info helps as I've never had a Scooby before. Xx
Old 15 November 2014, 12:01 AM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tara-louise
There isn't enough room to get a spark plug remover in there. There's no room lol xx
A decent socket set with the appropriate spark plug socket and suitable length extension bar will fit in no problem. Don't use one of those crappy plug tool things.
Old 15 November 2014, 12:19 AM
tara-louise
Scooby Regular

A decent socket set with the appropriate spark plug socket and suitable length extension bar will fit in no problem. Don't use one of those crappy plug tool things.
My fella is doing most the work on her for me. But he doesn't know them either. We will just have to do some research. Lol, xxx
Old 15 November 2014, 12:22 AM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

I do all my own work and plenty for all my friends and family too, the Subaru has been by far one of the easiest cars to work on as far as servicing and general repairs go. They're built with such simplicity! It's all about preparation
Old 15 November 2014, 04:02 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by tara-louise
http://www.subaru-impreza.org/forum/...s-classic.html
Old 15 November 2014, 07:43 AM
96sti
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

When you have changed the plugs ide go for ngk pfr7b they are already pre gapped and can source them from sc motorfactors or euro car parts if they are local to you.

regarding plug removal its pretty easy. Fiddle but easy also you may want to check your coils at the same time look
at the copper inside make sure its not white or furry also take the rubber boots of and check for cracks ect but be carefull as they are really easy to break. They are common to break down. Baz
Old 15 November 2014, 08:55 AM
scoobyricht
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is this a classic shape? should be if you say its a uk turbo. You can check the codes yourself by using the diagnostic connectors, which are located under the steering column. There are two green ones and two black ones. With the ignition off connect the black ones and turn on the ignition but dont start the car. look at the check engine light and count the flashes. long flash means 10 short flash means 1, so long long short is 21.

If there is a constant, even flash then no codes are stored.
A better explanation with pictures and codes are on www.jollygreenmonster.com click on help pages.