Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Just an esl?

Search this Thread

Old 07 May 2014, 10:27 AM
Fast63
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just an esl?

I have a v3 sti pretty much standard, has exhaust straight threw and air filter cone. Is it possible to get it remapped on these esl boards as the car is at the moment, (not adding anything else to it) im not after big bhp or anything, the car pulled 298.7 on rollers last year and I'm happy enough at that, I was hoping to get the anti lag and know that it is safely mapped so no chance of running incorrectly. Does this sound like something I could do or would you only remap if you was adding front mounts and big turbos and injectors.

Thanks for the advice or any opinions of what would be the next step for me.
Thanks.
Old 07 May 2014, 10:55 AM
Peter Pan
Scooby Regular

If running an after market exhaust and induction kit then it needs to be mapped. ESL is the best option financially IMO, had my STI V3 done last week and if you want anti lag you need the Motorsport pack on it too which costs a little more but will give you launch control, flat shift and traction control.
Old 07 May 2014, 11:16 AM
Fast63
Scooby Regular

If you don't mind me asking what mods are on your car and are you happy after the remap?
I take it you didn't opt in for the Motorsport pack?
Old 07 May 2014, 11:22 AM
Fast63
Scooby Regular

Would the Motorsport pack be an option for me with such little mods?
Is there a minimum amount of modifacations to put on before getting the Motorsport pack.

Thanks
Old 07 May 2014, 05:05 PM
Peter Pan
Scooby Regular

I'm have a 3" de cat pipe with a 3" system, 550cc injectors but retained the standard air box and bought a K&N panel filter.
I opted for the motorsports pack which cost me £80 more so you'll have that option at the time of ordering although I haven't had it set up just yet.
The car is running ultra safe at just below 300 bhp but I've ordered a 3 port boost solenoid and will be fitted next week just before it goes back for a map tweek although I asked for the 3 port to be done at time of mapping a few weeks back but forgot to say when I dropped the car off last week.
Your car will be fine to have ESL fitted although I've been told that using anti lag will shorten the life of the turbo.
To run the anti lag you need a manual switch to turn it on and off and a brake light switch I think on the clutch peddle for flat shift but no doubt your chosen mapper can sort that out for you.
I'm sure I'll be more that happy with the results when it has a map tweek next week.
Do a thread search about ESL and have a read up on it.
Old 07 May 2014, 05:56 PM
Fast63
Scooby Regular

Yes that sounds brill, I can live with that, so at most I could get away with just adding injectors and maybe fuel pump to what I already have and I'm away.
Thanks for the reply.
Please let me know how it goes when it's complete.
Old 07 May 2014, 07:24 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Version 3 is about 17 years old now, so it would be prudent to swap the fuel pump IMO, especially if you don't know the history of the car.

Have you decided who'll be mapping your car? It's worth speaking to your chosen mapper beforehand to discuss hoe you intend to use your car and what you want, and they'll be able to advise of anything they think you'll need.

For example, without you having gone into great detail about the above, I could suggest replacing the TMIC for a later more efficient Newage item, they might advise that retaining your TMIC or a V5/6 TMIC would be a more cost efficient way forward.
Old 07 May 2014, 08:33 PM
Fast63
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice, I'm in West yorkshire and getting the car mot very soon at Richard Henry's, I was planning on asking him whos closest and good to use. It's the esl that I want so am I right in thinking I buy the board from them and get a mapper to map it or are esl a one stop shop that will fit the board and map it?
Cheers.
Old 07 May 2014, 09:47 PM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

I'm running just 550hp with esl mafless on meth with anti lag, launch control, flat shift, traction control, knock control, closed loop idle and fuel, twin map, full diagnostic facility etc etc so esl should just about cope.
Old 07 May 2014, 10:26 PM
Fast63
Scooby Regular

Haha, sounds like fun, got the first five but then started losing me.
I was hoping for fast spooling, acceleration mainly(within reason obvs), not fussed about top end speed at all.
Thanks
Old 07 May 2014, 10:29 PM
Fast63
Scooby Regular

Last thing, it's not my daily driver so doesn't need to be economical or anything, it comes out very rarely when I fancy a blast. Has been off road since back end of last year. Looking forward to getting it back on.
Old 07 May 2014, 10:38 PM
Peter Pan
Scooby Regular

As mentioned above, uprate the fuel pump as I have, I knew there was something I missed
Old 07 May 2014, 10:45 PM
Fast63
Scooby Regular

Deffo.
Thanks