Notices
Driving Dynamics Driving techniques (trail braking, power slides, donuts, scandinavian flicks, etc), and vehicle dynamics (roll centres, c/g weigh transfer, etc)

Having fun in the snow!

Search this Thread

Old 18 December 2010, 04:02 PM
djandyg
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having fun in the snow!

When it snowed the other month, i didnt drive my car much...most of my mates kept asking me why i wasnt out in the scoob having some fun in the snow.....I did a few small drifts in a car park on the way into the petrol station, but not really been 'making the most of it' as my friends would say as im more concerned that it might not be good for the diffs? What are other peoples view on this? Or am i just being a ***** lol

Last edited by djandyg; 18 December 2010 at 04:18 PM.
Old 18 December 2010, 05:12 PM
stedee
Scooby Regular

its only a matter of time mate , been there done it
years back i had a rear wheel drive cheapo car that i used to proper rally in the snow doing some crazy stuff, thought i could do the same in my evo, you would think no - problem but its not the same - you need skinny tyres thats why it worked in my cheapo car. wide tyres just dont work and as you probably know youre brakes still wont work.
i hit a fence in my evo the sad thing was i wasnt even doing anything, just taking a slight bend at say 15mph and it went straight, i wasnt braking or anything so now i`m a *****, if i got some skinny tyres i might have a go

and have a look in sales section, i bet you see a load of breaking cars - lol

Last edited by stedee; 18 December 2010 at 05:14 PM.
Old 22 December 2010, 06:47 AM
Steve.
Scooby Newbie

saw a scooby on its roof down road from me. def not a fast bend and mind boggled *how* he managed to get it that way but anyway best to be safe and stay in as apart from slick road conditions there are other people on road with mixture of abilities, some not so good!

going forward easy....turning and stopping not so!
Old 22 December 2010, 02:22 PM
ScoobyNoobie
Scooby Regular

To answer your question though, rather than tell you what you should and shouldn't do with your own car....

No it won't do any harm to your diffs, as the load when sliding in snow is tiny compared to tearing around a dry race track.

The only thing you probably shouldnt do, if you have dccd, is adjust it while the wheels are sliding or turning at different speeds.

If you have somewhere with some space, go have some fun, you'll learn a lot, and look like this

Old 24 December 2010, 06:01 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Mate, get yourself a spare set of cheap WRX or STI alloys, and some winter tyres.
The difference is night and day - you can stop on ice and snow, and you won't slide.
I bought budget tyres as I couldn't afford expensive ones, but let's face it, in this weather none of us should be hooning about irresponsibly anyway.
At £40 each they were a massive bargain and are far better than any of the cars at work with summer Michelins or Goodyears which just slide all over the place and can't get traction.
I've had no issues this winter at all. Trust me when I say they're a worthwhile investment whilst this weather continues.

If you want to drift wait until the weather is suitable and you can properly control and stop the car - that's my advice!
Old 30 December 2010, 02:12 PM
The king
Scooby Regular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jkhHfHEAAM

Watch for curbz and your oil/water temps, never mind the rest. Have fun. I do this all day long, but on to big tires.
Old 30 December 2010, 02:17 PM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

perfectly fine, just dont keep on full lock for too long etc. power steeringfluid can cook and pump can go, done sensibly and correctly , it is fine.
Old 03 January 2011, 09:27 PM
lomas the great
Scooby Regular

my much better vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mATOlffkkOg
Old 03 January 2011, 09:31 PM
turbs
Scooby Regular

Well i'm more of a *****, mine stayed locked up nice and warm in the garage the whole two weeks we had it.

The company van however...... lol
Old 06 January 2011, 01:00 PM
mmcd87
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bugeye_Scoob
I bought budget tyres as I couldn't afford expensive ones, but let's face it, in this weather none of us should be hooning about irresponsibly anyway.
At £40 each they were a massive bargain and are far better than any of the cars at work with summer Michelins or Goodyears which just slide all over the place and can't get traction.
I've had no issues this winter at all. Trust me when I say they're a worthwhile investment whilst this weather continues.
Hi, what tyres did you fit?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11 January 2011, 03:28 PM
adste89
Scooby Newbie

meh I drifted all throughout the snow in my scooby. Like it's been said above, there is very very little load on the diffs in snow, your tyres are sliding across snow, barely touching the tred. Just have fun, but avoid illegal stuff!