Notices
Driving Dynamics Driving techniques (trail braking, power slides, donuts, scandinavian flicks, etc), and vehicle dynamics (roll centres, c/g weigh transfer, etc)

drag techniques

Search this Thread

Old 25 September 2010, 01:29 PM
no1nutter
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drag techniques

ok, with scoobyshootout just round the corner, an wanting to make the most of it, what do ppl consider to be the best techniques for the drag strip, do we want to change gears at peak torque or peak bhp? with dccd, do we use it fully locked and open as we get up and running, or once its locked is it not possible to open whilst moving, i have limited experience at this and dont really want to look like a novice muppet on the day lol.
Old 25 September 2010, 08:14 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

But you/we all will... get used to it !

LOL

dunx

P.S. Re-map permitting... budget permitting... weather permitting...
Old 26 September 2010, 05:42 PM
Big 'D'
Scooby Regular

Hi mate

I would suggest having the diff fully open or in auto if equipped, the launch has to be the most important part of the drag as if you bog or wheelspin you will loose valuable time, dont ride/slip the clutch off the line as it will just get hot and slip, if you are not using launch control you want to find a rev range that the car is happy with as you let the clutch go ie not too little that you bog and not too much so that you wheel spin, dont redline the gear changes I find that between 6k and 6.5k is plenty, you may find that in 4th you may be so close to the finnish that its not worth going into 5th so reving it a little further may save time but that will depend on your gearing. The gearchanges should be as fast as you can smoothly and physically make them. I guess there is little anyone can tell you really that you will remember once you are in position on the starting grid but just experiment and get a feel for the car really is all I can say it will all come together once you have done a few runs, the car will give you all the feedback you need.

Cheers Iain
Old 26 September 2010, 08:48 PM
no1nutter
Scooby Regular

cheers matey!
Old 27 September 2010, 10:16 AM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Some dccd help

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHZSgXXC2x8

Banny
Old 27 September 2010, 08:22 PM
rooferman
Scooby Regular

A fully open diff launched at between 6-6.5 k will just light the rear wheels up !!!!!

You need to lock the diff depending on how worn/old it is/tyre pressures/tyre compound/weather conditions/surface type can all play a part in the perfect launch.

Using the dccd locked or slightly wound back (last orange) can shave up to half a second in my experience....

You need to side step the clutch at your desired rpm and at no point hold the handbrake to load the transmission.

With practise you can achieve 1.6 60fts on road tyres with dccd equipped cars.
Old 28 September 2010, 12:00 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

1.6s can be achieved with non-dccd cars also.
Old 28 September 2010, 08:24 PM
rooferman
Scooby Regular

Yes...with diffs.....most non dccd equipped cars will spin the fronts and usually struggle for initial grip..

It took me a while to get 1.6 60fts and only managed to do so with dccd locked.
Old 28 September 2010, 08:24 PM
daveturbo
Scooby Regular

when is this event?
Old 29 September 2010, 12:33 AM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Standard UK diffs, no dccd, was fine nailing 1.6/1.7s 60fts consistently.
Old 29 September 2010, 08:01 AM
Big 'D'
Scooby Regular

No probs with launching my V3 Sti with viscous centre diff, again will do 1.6 and 1.7 all day long.

As most of your traction on the launch comes from the rear wheels is it not worth having the DCCD set more open? If you are lighting up I would look at changing the revs/launch technique and/or tyre type.

Cheers Iain
Old 29 September 2010, 02:07 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Big 'D'

I would suggest having the diff fully open or in auto if equipped, the launch has to be the most important part of the drag as if you bog or wheelspin you will loose valuable time
if you do bog down or make a crap start dont try to make the time up, just drive down the strip and practice your changes. the time is going to be crap anyway.

dont redline the gear changes I find that between 6k and 6.5k is plenty
in a standard or mildy tuned car this may be ok. high lift cams and head work may see this as redline at 8200rpm change at 8000rpm

you may find that in 4th you may be so close to the finnish that its not worth going into 5th so reving it a little further may save time but that will depend on your gearing.
Also depends on the power of the car. some cars are well into 5th crossing the line

The gearchanges should be as fast as you can smoothly and physically make them.
Try not to ****** the gears, but try to snik the gears in. i see guys all the time yanking on their gearstick like their life depended on it. your arm doesnt need to move 2ft to change gear.

I guess there is little anyone can tell you really that you will remember once you are in position on the starting grid
remember you are racing the clock not the guy in the other lane. you can sit in stage after the green light appears as long as you want. the timing gear doesnt start until you break the beam. compose yourself dont be drinking a load of coke and redbull being all gittery it makes for crap times, trust me.

but just experiment and get a feel for the car really is all I can say it will all come together once you have done a few runs, the car will give you all the feedback you need.
Agreed, try short shifting, try launching at different rpm, try launch control, full throttle shifts (if you have this facility), try launching in 2nd gear(1 less change is 0.25 seconds)

Last edited by bigsinky; 29 September 2010 at 02:09 PM.
Old 29 September 2010, 08:15 PM
rooferman
Scooby Regular

I could never get my uk turbo down in to the 1.6 mark and dont think i have ever seen one at the pod hit the 1.6 60ft.....this doesnt mean it cant be done...

Nothing wrong with my tyres by the way.....R888 at 25psi seem to work fine and have slips to prove my 1.63 60 ft and 11.57 quarter mile times.....all with just 370hp.

last year at Trax a guy with a 550hp uk turbo could not understand how i managed a 3.59 0-60mph ....and said i must have more power than i was letting on....i explained it was down to the dccd and the plated diffs....

I have also been at the pod when a 600hp zen tuned car was putting crap times and again it down to the lack of diffs....all it did was spin the fronts due to the torque split off the non dccd transmission.

I have a video in japanese showing launch techniques both with the dccd set to open and then locked......the difference is substantial...
Old 29 September 2010, 08:29 PM
rooferman
Scooby Regular

Here you go....a worthwhile watch and shows the difference in handling with dccd locked and ultimate grip with launch...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHZSgXXC2x8

Enjoy...

Last edited by rooferman; 29 September 2010 at 08:32 PM.
Old 29 September 2010, 08:41 PM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigsinky
if you do bog down or make a crap start dont try to make the time up, just drive down the strip and practice your changes. the time is going to be crap anyway.

in a standard or mildy tuned car this may be ok. high lift cams and head work may see this as redline at 8200rpm change at 8000rpm

Also depends on the power of the car. some cars are well into 5th crossing the line

Try not to ****** the gears, but try to snik the gears in. i see guys all the time yanking on their gearstick like their life depended on it. your arm doesnt need to move 2ft to change gear.

remember you are racing the clock not the guy in the other lane. you can sit in stage after the green light appears as long as you want. the timing gear doesnt start until you break the beam. compose yourself dont be drinking a load of coke and redbull being all gittery it makes for crap times, trust me.

Agreed, try short shifting, try launching at different rpm, try launch control, full throttle shifts (if you have this facility), try launching in 2nd gear(1 less change is 0.25 seconds)
i defo need 5th to cross the line in mine

as for 2nd gear launching.. i might try that, not sure if launch control works in second, will be interesting though.
Old 29 September 2010, 08:49 PM
rooferman
Scooby Regular

2nd gear launching would be hard on clutch and transmission........i was tempted to try it in the wet at a recent 0-60 event..

And i,m with eggy on needing 5th to cross the line...and thats with an 8500rpm rev limit.
Old 29 September 2010, 08:58 PM
Big 'D'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rooferman
2nd gear launching would be hard on clutch and transmission........i was tempted to try it in the wet at a recent 0-60 event..

And i,m with eggy on needing 5th to cross the line...and thats with an 8500rpm rev limit.
What power/torque are you running rooferman? I am running approx 370 on my ver 3 Sti and my PB is 11.80 @ 111mph. (USC 2010 4th place class D).

Cheers Iain
Old 29 September 2010, 09:14 PM
rooferman
Scooby Regular

Car was at 370hp 330 torque and best times were on the type ra 5 speed box.....

Car is currently having equal lenght manifolds fitted and 20% meth map....and am aiming to get down to 11.2 ish before i give up drag racing.

Best quarter was 11.57 @ 117mph....again with 5 speed box.

Have struggled a bit with launch on the 6 speed but think thats cured....the dccd unit was much newer/tighter than in the old unit and fully locked it kept bogging down....winding it back to last orange seems to have helped.

Trax 2010 0-60 was 3.82.......2009 was 3.59...

Interesting that both our terminals are quite low to be in the 11,s...

Most cars are well into the 120mph area for low 12 high 11 runs....
Old 29 September 2010, 09:21 PM
Big 'D'
Scooby Regular

Car is currently having equal lenght manifolds fitted and 20% meth map....and am aiming to get down to 11.2 ish before i give up drag racing.

Have struggled a bit with launch on the 6 speed but think thats cured....the dccd unit was much newer/tighter than in the old unit and fully locked it kept bogging down....winding it back to last orange seems to have helped.

Our cars are very close really, my 0-60 are also sub 4 sec, I am running the std clutch and drivetrain and yokohama parada spec2 tyres, I would easily shave a couple of tenths off with the 888s if I could afford them

What turbo are you running, I am running the VF35 (Home tweaked) mapped by Bob R

Even the commentator at USC mentioned the low terminal in the 11s, I had nitro FM on whilst I was running the strip to get my times live time

Cheers Iain
Old 30 September 2010, 07:21 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Thats a lot of grip of the line guys. in the 11s for both you with sub 400bhp cars is incredible. I have actually found it harder to get better times with more than 400. now i cant drive for toffee and my best is 11.2 @ 135 with a 60ft of 1.81. Plenty of power but as you can see getting it off the line is proving difficult. that was on concrete with road tyres btw. if I used drag radials at say Santa Pod, i might do better. 60 fts are pretty consistant at 1.75 - 1.85 and terminals are always around the 130 - 135 mark.