Notices
Driving Dynamics Driving techniques (trail braking, power slides, donuts, scandinavian flicks, etc), and vehicle dynamics (roll centres, c/g weigh transfer, etc)

Where to find snow?

Search this Thread

Old 05 October 2008, 08:28 PM
T1000
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Where to find snow?

This is a daft question even by my standards but I would like to test my car on some snow/ice (away from any public roads and on private land).

I'm guessing Scotland would be the best place but does anyone know where I am likely to find snow if I drive there? Also, would it be best to go there in colder months such as December?

Thanks.
Old 05 October 2008, 09:04 PM
Underworld
Scooby Regular

i would suggest an ice ring or whatever its called. where they skate loll
Old 06 October 2008, 12:40 AM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We didn't have many days of snow up here last winter. Although when we did, it was good fun! The further up you go the better
Old 06 October 2008, 12:16 PM
T1000
Scooby Regular

Any good places in northern Scotland you'd recommend Alan?

cheers
Old 06 October 2008, 02:53 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Anywhere in the highlands I'd think. I don't go up there often though: there aren't many women up there, so the men resort to kidnapping anyone passing through to satisfy themselves.

Nah, I havn't been that far up for years, and I don't really know anywhere in particular. I stayed in Perth for a year though, which is only about 70 miles north of where I come from, and as it's a city there were plenty of big car parks that were empty at night. Good fun when it snowed!

Last edited by GlesgaKiss; 06 October 2008 at 02:55 PM.
Old 06 October 2008, 03:14 PM
T1000
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the tip Alan, shame about the lack of women though! At least I could amuse myself powersliding in the snow though :-)
Old 08 October 2008, 06:24 AM
djmisio85
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by T1000
Also, would it be best to go there in colder months such as December?

Thanks.
Lol, no mate, go in the middle of summer.....

On a serious note, I would also suggest investing in some snow/winter tyres if you want to actually get back to Bucks in one piece....

btw, where in Buckinghamshire are you from? I used to live in Amersham
Old 08 October 2008, 05:40 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by djmisio85
Lol, no mate, go in the middle of summer.....

On a serious note, I would also suggest investing in some snow/winter tyres if you want to actually get back to Bucks in one piece....

btw, where in Buckinghamshire are you from? I used to live in Amersham
Yeah, what he said! Sorry, should have mentioned: incase you havn't had a play in snow before, you get no grip...even with 4WD. Even though you can easily get it sideways, the car will not want to turn or stop...or do anything very quickly! Get some snow tyres if you're gonna be doing it.
Old 08 October 2008, 06:02 PM
T1000
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies. Having the grip of the Impreza is great and I wouldn't swap its grip for a more tail happy car but I guess I sometimes miss the rwd nature of my old BMW 318is. That was so slippy it never wanted to go in a straight line :-) It was sometimes a bit frightening but it really improved my car control at the limit. I'm still amazed at how much traction there is from an Impreza in the dry and in the wet though.

I didn't realise that Alan, I would have thought that Imprezas would be better than a lot of cars in the snow due to the 4wd but I haven't taken it out before in those conditions. The BMW was certainly very interesting on snowy roads though :-S

Don't worry Djmisio I wasn't intending on going there in the summer I just thought the highlands might have snow a lot more of the year than the rest of the country though.
Btw, I'm from Aylesbury but I know Amersham well. My girlfriend works nearby in Great Missenden too.

cheers,
Old 10 October 2008, 04:47 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Yeah, well Impreza's pull better up hill etc in the snow compared to a FWD car, but turning is the big problem! I had a few close ones the first time I had a play with it in the snow.
Old 10 October 2008, 05:21 PM
jp wolf
Scooby Newbie

Default its all about the rubber

as mentioned u really need some winter tyres if you don't want to end up in a ditch or parked in the trolleys outside the local supermarket
Lived for a winter in the Alps and the amount of grip available with proper tyres is amazin. Just don't expect it to feel like its still on rails in the dry on them though.
When I sourced them a lot of the regular tyre outlets in the UK don't have a clue about them - normally have to find someone who knows what they are doing and order 'em in special.
Most snow tyres are only rated at 105mph so stick with winters for huge fun
Old 03 February 2009, 05:15 PM
tomdscooby
Scooby Regular

snow everywhere currently lol