Notices
Driving Dynamics Driving techniques (trail braking, power slides, donuts, scandinavian flicks, etc), and vehicle dynamics (roll centres, c/g weigh transfer, etc)

DCCD track settings, MY06 STI?

Search this Thread

Old 20 July 2008, 06:14 PM
SineSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DCCD track settings, MY06 STI?

Any experiences or advices?
Old 20 July 2008, 08:53 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turn it off to full green.
Will give slight rearward bias.
That's what I do.
Old 20 July 2008, 11:34 PM
SineSTI
Scooby Regular

Full open? Are you shure about this? Well, I'll try but I expected some complicated answer. Thanks!
Old 21 July 2008, 07:52 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fully open if dry or just over the notch works very well.

Wet settings... not sure I have got these right yet
Old 21 July 2008, 11:30 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Mine is fully open for everything!

having said that when I'm on track in the wet I'm not looking to set as fast a time as poss, unlike Duncan, so for me fully open is rather enjoyable!
Old 21 July 2008, 11:36 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Fully open in the wet is VERY enjoyable if there isnt armco around

Having said that I had DCCD set in auto on my crash which in hindsight was probably not the best setting.
Old 21 July 2008, 02:59 PM
SineSTI
Scooby Regular

O.k. full open, then! Well, first time on track so I have thousands of questions but I'll be smarter after track day! Thanks!
Old 21 July 2008, 07:55 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Location: oop north in a spec-c.Now sold and starting on a classic ra track/sprint/road car
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

SineSTI if its your first time out on track if its available I would take an instructor out with you costs about £20 but well worth it you will learn more in 20 mins with the instructor than driving all day without as for dccd I would leave it in auto for the first couple off sessions until you get used to the car at race speeds then if you feel more confident then switch it into manual and have a play.
Old 21 July 2008, 08:22 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

I would say 1 up from fully open (i.e. first green notch you come to) until you are confident enough to open fully. I only use auto in the wet on the road and use the first green arrow I mentioned in the dry. Feels more planted IMHO.

I haven't tracked it myself yet though tbh. Let me know how it goes.
Old 21 July 2008, 11:00 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

I was speaking to Litchfields about this who said "Diff open (or 1 up from open) is most entertaining, but to get fastest laps, keep DCCD in Auto".
Old 22 July 2008, 08:07 AM
Mocom Racing
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by rickya
...........to get fastest laps, keep DCCD in Auto".
In my experience lap times are significantly improved with the diff fully open, certainly in the dry.
In the wet, drifts do need greater finess to control in this mode so auto may be the setting you'd feel more comfortable if you're into drifting, if your a smooth and tidy wet driver, lapping with the diff open is still quickest.

Dynamix, in the 'wet' warmup Oulton session I was running in auto, as the standing water cleared I ran open. Somewhere like Bedford Autodrome I am far quicker in the wet leaving in auto and drifting although there's no need for large cojones as the circuit is far more open only having one section of armco
Old 22 July 2008, 08:41 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Zak, is the Blobeye DCCD exactly the same?
Old 22 July 2008, 09:12 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

What is this 'auto' option you speak of? Then again I don't even have ABS
Old 24 July 2008, 09:56 PM
SineSTI
Scooby Regular

Track day done! It was perfect fun for me. To be honest, I was driving in "Auto" mode all the time on the track. I feel "safe" like this. Well, it was my first time. Next time, I'm going to experiment. Car is perfect, tires are amazing on track (RE070) for my driving, off course. Nice day!
Old 26 July 2008, 12:17 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

RE070's are fantastic tyres
Old 26 July 2008, 01:28 AM
linky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dynamix
RE070's are fantastic tyres
Yup but the left hand ones fairly melt at knockhill in the dry not that its dry there much!
Old 26 July 2008, 07:06 PM
SineSTI
Scooby Regular

Pics

Old 03 August 2008, 09:27 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Great to see you had a good track day.
With AWD, I don't think we ask too much of the DCCD unless we completely lose it and keep the right foot planted.
The tip to pay £20 for instruction is a good call as well.
There is a Silverstone trackday on the SIDC site that may interest you.
Bit of a drive for you though!

Last edited by cster; 03 August 2008 at 09:29 PM. Reason: d
Old 15 September 2008, 10:55 PM
a16pse
Scooby Regular

Default dccd

hi there new to all this i have recently bought an 06 STI with PPP and think its awsome, i dont understand the dccd settings what do the settings mean as in front - rear wheel drive , if the diff is open is that when the wheel moves the indicator all the way down to the bottom of the dash display meaning that it is more rear wheel drive.cheers steve.
Old 25 September 2008, 03:20 PM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

The centre diff is an 'adjustable' LSD, all the way back is a fully open diff, with rear torque bias (45:55), further forward is more and more locking, so as the rear starts to be affected by its extra torque the LSD increases the torque to the front.

To the rear does not statically incraese the torque to the rear, nor to the front increase it statically to the front, it just stiffens or loosens the LSD, in auto mode it adjusts it according to what it thinks is needed at any given time!

Simon
Old 30 September 2008, 06:57 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

Well DCCD settings are subjective and you have to adjust it to your driving Preferience, style and ability. Although everone knows this, the Classic DCCD and newage DCCD's are not quite the same.

For me I found this works for me on my newage Type20 or to perhaps better to say I'm just happier with my cars handling. But I crash all the time so don't listen to me.

On the majority of times in the wet I use A-DCCD. Braking is normally improved and use a slower in faster out. In the dry and damp A-DCCD and either fully open one or two up depending on best braking & stability.

On tight short circuits (Kurb or Elvington) A-DCCD worked best overall. DCCD manual DCCD seemed to gain on some corners but lose out on others.

Medium circiuts like Castle combe & Bedford very little difference in times if on Manual or Auto, although in Traffic found A-DCCD better for out of corner overtaking.

Long circuits like Silverstone, Donington and Nurburgring Manual fully open to first orange in the wet, very wet and braking issues back to A-DCCD.

I have been out with one driver of a classic who have adjusted DCCD on the "Fly" around the the Adverse handling circuit at Prodrive, I'd only be alright if I had 3 hands

To be honest I find "playing" Tyre pressures rewarded me more than "playing" with DCCD so not to bothered if forgot to alter it. Example my first outing on on RE070's at Donny, Standard 34f/32r tyre pressures, after Three laps were approx(memory!!) nsf 55 osf 47 nsr 42 osr 39 and handled like on crossply tyre

IIRC IMHO

Tony
Old 01 October 2008, 09:12 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Useful advice & experiences TN5YW
Old 01 October 2008, 09:34 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Location: oop north in a spec-c.Now sold and starting on a classic ra track/sprint/road car
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Tony that must have been on a day when you remembered to bring your tyre pressure guage and pump when's your next outing ?
Old 18 October 2008, 10:41 PM
B4D HK
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by T5NYW
Well DCCD settings are subjective and you have to adjust it to your driving Preferience, style and ability. Although everone knows this, the Classic DCCD and newage DCCD's are not quite the same.

For me I found this works for me on my newage Type20 or to perhaps better to say I'm just happier with my cars handling. But I crash all the time so don't listen to me.

On the majority of times in the wet I use A-DCCD. Braking is normally improved and use a slower in faster out. In the dry and damp A-DCCD and either fully open one or two up depending on best braking & stability.

On tight short circuits (Kurb or Elvington) A-DCCD worked best overall. DCCD manual DCCD seemed to gain on some corners but lose out on others.

Medium circiuts like Castle combe & Bedford very little difference in times if on Manual or Auto, although in Traffic found A-DCCD better for out of corner overtaking.

Long circuits like Silverstone, Donington and Nurburgring Manual fully open to first orange in the wet, very wet and braking issues back to A-DCCD.

I have been out with one driver of a classic who have adjusted DCCD on the "Fly" around the the Adverse handling circuit at Prodrive, I'd only be alright if I had 3 hands

To be honest I find "playing" Tyre pressures rewarded me more than "playing" with DCCD so not to bothered if forgot to alter it. Example my first outing on on RE070's at Donny, Standard 34f/32r tyre pressures, after Three laps were approx(memory!!) nsf 55 osf 47 nsr 42 osr 39 and handled like on crossply tyre

IIRC IMHO

Tony
Im still not talking to you, I still drool over your old type r
Old 19 October 2008, 03:13 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by gussy
Tony that must have been on a day when you remembered to bring your tyre pressure guage and pump when's your next outing ?
PMSL

Originally Posted by B4D HK
Im still not talking to you, I still drool over your old type r
You should have bought it, one careful owner..........and Me LOL

IIRC I think my next out is not till Febuary at Brands

Tony