Notices
Driving Dynamics Driving techniques (trail braking, power slides, donuts, scandinavian flicks, etc), and vehicle dynamics (roll centres, c/g weigh transfer, etc)

What to do in wet when coming of islands

Search this Thread

Old 25 April 2008, 08:47 PM
deangtiuk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do in wet when coming of islands

Hi might sound a bit weird, If I come off an island/roundabout and put my foot down just before she strightens up the car oversteers and then srtaightens up, usually I ease of a little when this happens but whats the best thing to do keep your foot down and it will straighten or ease of as I have been doing?

I have got some crappy (budget) tyres on at the Mo what i bought the car with but have got a brand new set of RE070 at work to put on once it dries up more, I havent really had chance to put car through its paces when its dry (english weather??) Is the car a different kettle of fish when its dry and with decent tyres on.

Thanks and sorry if it sounds a little silly.
Old 25 April 2008, 11:39 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

easing off a smidge always works for me, easing off compleatly is bad
Old 26 April 2008, 11:21 AM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by deangtiuk
Hi might sound a bit weird, If I come off an island/roundabout and put my foot down just before she strightens up the car oversteers and then srtaightens up, usually I ease of a little when this happens but whats the best thing to do keep your foot down and it will straighten or ease of as I have been doing?

I have got some crappy (budget) tyres on at the Mo what i bought the car with but have got a brand new set of RE070 at work to put on once it dries up more, I havent really had chance to put car through its paces when its dry (english weather??) Is the car a different kettle of fish when its dry and with decent tyres on.

Thanks and sorry if it sounds a little silly.
The quick way would just be to keep it planted and steer exactly where you want to go. At the sort of speeds you come out of a roundabout at, the car will just straighten itself up with 4wd.

The safe way on a busy public road would just be to ease off the throttle a little bit at a time, and correcting the steering slightly, but no more than the direction you want to be travelling in. that lets you get a feel for when the tyres are catching grip again. Or you could just ease the throttle on in the first place instead of planting it coming out of the roundabout, then you would avoid it going totally sideways, and get more of a feel for the throttle.

The quick way is definetly the most fun, but maybe best kept to a deserted spot out in the countryside
Old 29 April 2008, 02:46 PM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Location: Going further than the station and back !!! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

I have got some crappy (budget) tyres on at the Mo what i bought the car with but have got a brand new set of RE070 at work to put on once it dries up more
here lies your biggest problem, get the decent tyres on now!!! before its too late
Old 15 September 2008, 05:05 PM
masterbates1
Scooby Regular

I had some pants tyres on when first bought my car, change within a week. I filled my pants when going round any roundabouts understeer oversteer any bloody steer not good.(wet only)
Got some nice tyres on now all is good in the wet.
Old 25 September 2008, 03:13 PM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

The Sti with A-DCCD and rear biased torque split is often commented on as behaving exactly as you describe, the rear bias torque satrst to push the rear out, then the DCCD tightens up the LSD to pull it back straight again.

Simon