Notices
Driving Dynamics Driving techniques (trail braking, power slides, donuts, scandinavian flicks, etc), and vehicle dynamics (roll centres, c/g weigh transfer, etc)

Performance difference: S204 vs Spec C?

Search this Thread

Old 15 May 2008, 07:22 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Performance difference: S204 vs Spec C?

After watching the video below, it got me thinking what the difference would be in terms of a flat out drag race & also a few laps on the track between the two cars. In paticular I was thinking of my hawkeye Spec C which is running 330bhp with a Powerstation remap, against a S204?

I know the S204 has a handbuilt/balanced/blueprinted engine but power IIRC is approx 320 or 330 bhp. It does apparently have superior suspension to Spec C but in the real world how would that all compare to the lighter Spec C with 330bhp? Anyone know??

YouTube - Tsukuba Battle
Old 15 May 2008, 08:15 PM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The best car to use for a direct comparison here would be the RA-R, which has the same blueprinted engine and VF42 turbo as the S204, all the same STI rose jointed suspension goodies and the adjustable STI suspension, although I would expect slightly different spring rates between the two. Both were Ltd Ed cars and are effectively the same car, but one based an a Spec C shell, the other based on a JDM STI.

Head to head, I suspect after a few laps the RA-R would be in front by a few lengths, but not far into the distance.
Old 17 May 2008, 12:16 AM
P1 NUT
Scooby Regular

Think all the ltd editions like ra-r and s204 use the spec-c as a base car anyway, do they not.
Old 17 May 2008, 11:07 AM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The S204 is one of the best handling cars i have ever driven in my life the setup is ideal for uk roads and would handle much better then the ra-r round A and B roads.

It combines the class (thanks to the seats and the matt black interior) of an rs4 which i have previously had and the buzz of an impreza sti. For me the S204 is the best all rounder and i will be keeping one Untill the end of days.

In comparsion with the spec c in all honesty there would'nt be much in it as the S204 runs 350 bhp as standard (have video footage and print out to prove it). In a drag race i don't think there'd be much in it and on the track i think the out come would be similar as the spec c has the weight advantage..

Immy
Old 17 May 2008, 04:58 PM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by P1 NUT
Think all the ltd editions like ra-r and s204 use the spec-c as a base car anyway, do they not.
No. S204 is a standard JDM STI given the STI treatment to become a Ltd Ed car. It won't have undergone the weight saving measures of a Spec C shell i.e. use thinner glass, use lighter body panels and have all sound deadening removed or the ligher front sub frame.
Old 17 May 2008, 06:44 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Thanks for comments so far Very interesting to hear comments from members who have owned or driven the cars in question i.e. Juggers & MrRA. Its just that though I love my Spec C , my dream Impreza would be the S204, but £30k is a bit too much for me!! Hence I was wondering whether in time my spec c with a few choice mods e.g Big brake kit/ Uprated suspension/ ALK/Powerstatipon stage 3 to 365bhp etc & a few bits like retrimmed leather interior would bring it closer to the S204??
Old 21 September 2008, 06:18 PM
Mick Spec C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rickya
Thanks for comments so far Very interesting to hear comments from members who have owned or driven the cars in question i.e. Juggers & MrRA. Its just that though I love my Spec C , my dream Impreza would be the S204, but £30k is a bit too much for me!! Hence I was wondering whether in time my spec c with a few choice mods e.g Big brake kit/ Uprated suspension/ ALK/Powerstatipon stage 3 to 365bhp etc & a few bits like retrimmed leather interior would bring it closer to the S204??
Hello Rickya,

I have moved from a Newage Spec-C V-Limited to a S204.....

I can only say the S204 is not as Raw as the Spec-C, but it feels totally different & better on the Road IMO

Cheers,

Michael
Old 22 September 2008, 09:41 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Thanx Mick I think the only Scooby I would change my Spec C for would be the S204. Maybe one day, funds permitting. Did you have to put a lot more £'s in to buy the S204?
Old 23 September 2008, 08:02 PM
Jam Performance
Former Sponsor

Default ..

Ricky upgrade your suspension with some Tein racing coilovers with EDFC controller, ALK and adjustable rollbars and wrap your wheels in some Toyo R888's - you will out do a S204 handling wise any day of the week !

As far as performance is concerned, the rolling road run will send you in the right direction
Old 23 September 2008, 08:45 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Cheers Killer I think ur right with suspension upgrades, definetley need coilovers & ALK. Iv also just got hold of another set of 235/ RE070's

Also like you said will have better idea what to do in terms of power mods after rolling road.

ps will giv u a ring tmrw about rolling road day etc mate
Old 03 October 2008, 08:43 PM
Mick Spec C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rickya
Thanx Mick I think the only Scooby I would change my Spec C for would be the S204. Maybe one day, funds permitting. Did you have to put a lot more £'s in to buy the S204?
Hello Rickya,

When buying in Japan, its all about how much you want to spend

I bought a Grade 6 - AKA As New Condition

But then I went a bit mad..........

The car was perfect..... but I just wanted a bit more power.... as you do

I now have a steel build in the S204, Uprated Turbo, Injectors / Fueling, Air Flow, Exhaust, etc & Mapping By Bob Rawle with advanced ECU control

I can only say I am loving the performance with the S204 suspension etc

Cheers,

Michael