Notices
Driving Dynamics Driving techniques (trail braking, power slides, donuts, scandinavian flicks, etc), and vehicle dynamics (roll centres, c/g weigh transfer, etc)

ARB -is this the way forward? (sic)

Search this Thread

Old 06 April 2008, 12:28 PM
scoobian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ARB -is this the way forward? (sic)

or just sideways???

I remember when I had a mini in the early 80's:an understeer special
the advice/mantra at the time was: INCREASE the FRONT grip to reduce understeer, DONT REDUCE grip at the back, to compensate

the solution for my Min was to use longer bottom arms at the front which increased camber...I ended up with a Min that held the tightest of lines around roundabouts etc. Fabulous handling!

anyhoo, now I see many of you are fitting ARB's to theback to make it more unstable and therefore 'dialling out' the understeer

Surely the best way to go would be to increas front camber and/or castor??
Old 07 April 2008, 02:52 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

changing the camber or caster will nail tyres, the rear anti roll bar, is pretty cheap, easy to fit and does the job.

scoobs need mroe than just an anti roll bar to make them handel well, in stock form they don't handel that well, they just grip like **** to a blanket lol
Old 08 April 2008, 09:27 AM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rear ARB/rear drop links/rear subframe locking bolts have pretty much got the handling on mine to the point where I'm happy with it. Those with Stig-like driving powers may be able to pick up a flaw with it - but I'm happy with it at my level of driving. I still have some understeer at what I consider to be my limits, with progressive break away (which is obviously also linked with my tyres - Dunlop SP9000's). I have to admit I didn't initially like the effect of the subframe locking bolts when they first went on - but I think I'd find the handling of the car very dulled if I removed them now.

While I know you can go all out with the handling in order to make it theoretically fantastic - the unfortunate truth is that the mere mortals among us would kill ourselves

Last edited by Prasius; 08 April 2008 at 09:34 AM.
Old 08 April 2008, 11:50 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

it realy depends hwo far you want to go, mines just about all the way lol

shocks, springs, drop links, rear anti roll bar, sterring bush's, anti lift kit etc etc etc lol