Notices
Driving Dynamics Driving techniques (trail braking, power slides, donuts, scandinavian flicks, etc), and vehicle dynamics (roll centres, c/g weigh transfer, etc)

I was wondering....

Search this Thread

Old 25 August 2006, 04:45 PM
Tripple'O G
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I was wondering....

.........how people expect to learn "driving dynamics" by reading...instead of actually doing it IN their car.....say on a skidpan day or driver training day.....

I've read a few hear.....How do I launch?
well.....er.....if you like your clutch, 4 grand and have a quick left foot....
if you don't......rev till 7 grand and side step the clutch.....

How do I compensate from oversteer/understeer/which way do I turn the wheel?
well.....er.......what do you think you would do......
holding the wheel straight ain't gonna do much now is it when the back end's coming round on you.....

Whats the quickest way round a around-a-bout......
Welll.....er......the quickest route between two points is a straight line.....so hit the apex's and make sure you have done all your breaking before you enter the bend(s).......and don't leave it in 3rd.......

Just my two pence worth....
Old 29 August 2006, 07:25 PM
RedScoob
Scooby Regular

Most of the comments on here are pretty specific to Imprezas, especially the "correcting oversteer" debate. If your used to either front or rear drive (or even other types of AWD) the usual method of correcting oversteer can get you into trouble with an Impreza. The panick response of "straighten the wheel and lift of the accelerator" is bad news in a Scoob.
With the "how do I launch" query, again, the clutch is the weak point in the Imprezas drivetrain, it simply has too much grip for its internal components. It can't take being slipped to feed the power in gradually, so many owners (including me) break traction with the tyres to be kinder to the clutch (I know, seems a bit backwards).
I understand where your coming from, but in a marque specific forum like this I think it's great that people post the peculiarities on here. Beats learning the hard way......
Old 18 September 2006, 10:10 PM
armogedden57
Scooby Regular

so people like to have a bit of an idea of what might happen before they try something, forewarned is forearmed etc, etc. Some people prefer to have a mess around with the car and see what works/sticks you in a tree!