Notices
Driving Dynamics Driving techniques (trail braking, power slides, donuts, scandinavian flicks, etc), and vehicle dynamics (roll centres, c/g weigh transfer, etc)

Recovering from oversteer

Search this Thread

Old 12 October 2005, 01:30 PM
bugeyewrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recovering from oversteer

I'm just starting my trackday career and one area ( one of many ) I'm having trouble with it recovering from oversteer , not the back end drifting but full on let go trying to swap ends sort of oversteer . Out of the four or so times it's happened I've caught it twice and the resultant snap back the other way , the other two I don't think I had much chance anyway . To recover I'm holding the accelerator where it is and getting as much opposite lock on as I can .

I remember reading somewhere , probably on here , that the correct way to do this in a 4wd car it to keep the steering as is and apply power , is this correct ? Also do you apply the power before the opposite lock , after , during , no steering at all ?

The cars a 01 bugeye wrx ( now there's a supprise ) lowered on eibachs and with TSL geometry settings .

Now I understand that the theory is that when you apply power the center diff pushes the power to the wheels with the grip ie the front and the car pulls out of the oversteer , but I understand alot of things in theory that I can't get to work in real life . The downside seems to me to be that if it doesn't work you going off the track only faster than you were before .

Any help greatfully recieved , especially from someone who can actually do this

Cheers ,

Martin .
Old 12 October 2005, 01:57 PM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

AFAIK in a scoob with a viscous centre diff just steer where you want to go and apply full power. The car should pull itself straight.

I've done it during a driving course in my UK MY99 and you can almost be travelling backwards and still straighten up.
Old 12 October 2005, 02:31 PM
bugeyewrx
Scooby Regular

Thanks Dave ,

So it does work in real life not just on scoobynet

I'm planning on a bit of driver training , where did you go ?

Martin .
Old 13 October 2005, 01:02 AM
tath
Scooby Regular

if your car is ploughing all the power to then front then keep your foot down. Not only will this pull you straight, but will weight the back wheels up encouraging them to grip again.

The tricky bit when it comes slapping back at you, is stopping it straight! The suspension will weight up so heavily on one side that as soon as the potential energy in the springs is released (i.e. you begin to catch it), it'll kick the other way. This is where you see most people losing it - they catch the first one, then go the other way! God knows I did it a few times

Just don't go mad with the correcting it and as soon as it is about to come back, start unwinding!

S'just practice really...
Old 13 October 2005, 12:33 PM
bugeyewrx
Scooby Regular

Thanks Tath

Well I've got a days driver training booked at bruntingthorpe booked , my next trackdays at castle combe which doesn't strike me as a good place to be experimenting with oversteer recovery , although who knows I may have to give it a go

Martin .
Old 13 October 2005, 03:10 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by DaveW
AFAIK in a scoob with a viscous centre diff just steer where you want to go and apply full power. The car should pull itself straight.

I've done it during a driving course in my UK MY99 and you can almost be travelling backwards and still straighten up.
I'd be interested in learning where you went for the training too Dave.

I do recall one tip given to me by an instructor, sounds obvious, but you can see why people wouldn't do it.

Look where you want the car to go; you steer instinctively to where you are looking, so if you look at the hedge, that's where you end up!

NS04
Old 13 October 2005, 03:30 PM
LDA
Scooby Regular

if the **** has gone so far that its leading a bit, then a light tap on the brakes will make it swap back the other way. so long as you are steering in the right direction.

the reason you end up losing it after you have 'caught' the first slide is because you have wound on too much lock. 4wd doesnt need as much lock to catch as rwd as the front pull you out some what. so if you steer too much on the second slide the fronts just pull you in the wrong direction.

get to a drift practice day (if they will let you play with a 4x4 there) and try it out. after a while you will learn how much lock you need for what angle you are at.

play safe

L.
Old 13 October 2005, 06:18 PM
bugeyewrx
Scooby Regular

NS04

I've got my training booked through stormy who posts on sidc .

Have a look here

It's on the 12/11/05

Martin .

Last edited by bugeyewrx; 13 October 2005 at 06:21 PM. Reason: cause I got the date wrong
Old 17 October 2005, 10:05 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

The biggest mistake people tend to make when a 4wd starts to drift is that they steer in to the slide as you would in a rear wheel drive car. If you do this in a 4wd car and power on whilst on opposite lock, as the front wheels grip the car will turn violently the way you are steering. So, if your 4wd car steps out sideways maintain a balanced throttle a neutral steering position and technically the car should come back in to line.
Graeme Whitehead, Grade 'A' ARDS Instructor

Last edited by RRH; 17 October 2005 at 10:09 PM.
Old 17 October 2005, 10:10 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

http://www.racecarparts.co.uk/cgi-bi...num=1067172815
Old 17 October 2005, 10:46 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

never tried looking at the place where i want to be

might do a spot of testing
Old 18 October 2005, 01:16 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bugeyewrx
Thanks Tath

Well I've got a days driver training booked at bruntingthorpe booked , my next trackdays at castle combe which doesn't strike me as a good place to be experimenting with oversteer recovery , although who knows I may have to give it a go

Martin .
If you're going to play at Coombe I would suggest when coming out of the esses (the first right left, not Bobbies which is the second and will spit you into ploughed field). The car's really unsettled and theirs plenty of run off (the centrifugal force points toward the infield). You see lots spinning here without incident - so a good practice zone. Also, you carry enough speed to make it real, but not enough to make it overly scary.

I think learning the technical side of things is sensible and driving schools will help, but for me there's no substitute for experience. Most of it is about anticipation and feeling what the cars doing via the seat of your pants. It does happen all rather quickly afterall.

Good luck

J
Old 18 October 2005, 01:25 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
never tried looking at the place where i want to be

might do a spot of testing
I know it seems a strange and completely obvious thing to advise, but I guess when you're sideways it's often the case that you end up looking at what you really don't want to come into contact with in the hope of avoiding it, when its simply better to look at the place you want the car to be and you'll instinctively steer for that rather than the curb or whatever

NS04
Old 18 October 2005, 02:06 PM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

I went on a days course with Don Palmer at Mira testing ground, course was called 'Wetter the Better'. Not sure if he still uses Mira but it was a really good day and taught me what my car is actually capable of.

It also taught me that if you have to think about it, its too late Making your driving instinctive counts a lot to making you a better driver (imho of course).
Old 18 October 2005, 06:32 PM
bugeyewrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JTaylor
If you're going to play at Coombe I would suggest when coming out of the esses (the first right left, not Bobbies which is the second and will spit you into ploughed field). The car's really unsettled and theirs plenty of run off (the centrifugal force points toward the infield). You see lots spinning here without incident - so a good practice zone. Also, you carry enough speed to make it real, but not enough to make it overly scary.

I think learning the technical side of things is sensible and driving schools will help, but for me there's no substitute for experience. Most of it is about anticipation and feeling what the cars doing via the seat of your pants. It does happen all rather quickly afterall.

Good luck

J
Cheers J ,

Good to know that castle combe has at least one friendly corner . I've only been to Bedford , loads of easy run off and Knockhill which seemed to have loads of run off until I spun out at duffers dip and cleared the grass and most of the gravel trap backwards . It's only because I regained some sort of ability to think and stood on the brakes about half way through the gravel that I didn't hit the barrier . A few people weren't that lucky .
Old 18 October 2005, 08:30 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

No problem B.

Heres a picture of where I mean with the arrow showing the direction of force. The weight transfer created by the right-left means, so long as your on boost, you'll be struggling not to get it out of shape if your wanting to provoke power over steer. Alternatively trail brake into esses and lift off on the exit for lift off oversteer. There's all sorts of fun to be had. In and around the exit of esses you'll see copius black lines where people have been up to the same tricks (planned or otherwise).

The guy sat to my right is Dave de Costa. His instruction is free and he's awesome - he shaved two seconds off my times!! He will of course advocate smooth lines with little steering input so don't shout about your sideways shananigans.

The clipping point for the exit out of esses is, as you'd imagine, by the bollards.

J

Last edited by JTaylor; 18 October 2005 at 08:37 PM.
Old 20 October 2005, 09:16 AM
bugeyewrx
Scooby Regular

Thanks again J ,

I'm off to Castle Coombe on Monday , I've got a session with an instructor booked , don't know who it is though . I'll report back with the results of my attempts , smooth lines and the sideways stuff .

Martin .
Old 23 October 2005, 04:59 PM
jfrf
Scooby Regular

went on a airfield course a few months ago.

the instructor showed me to completely let go of the wheel once the car oversteered. the car just seemed to sort itself out rather than me having to

it seemed to work reasonably well.
i dont think he was advocating doing this all of the time. merely it was an interesting demonstration of how the car naturally sorted itself out without driver input
Old 24 October 2005, 10:25 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

I have (occassionally) let go of the wheel on airfield days- basically because if you go off and hit the grass the ruts common to airfields can break your wrists very easily.

Letting go of the wheel is very much a last resort.
Old 24 October 2005, 11:06 AM
tath
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jfrf

the instructor showed me to completely let go of the wheel once the car oversteered. the car just seemed to sort itself out rather than me having to

i dont think he was advocating doing this all of the time. merely it was an interesting demonstration of how the car naturally sorted itself out without driver input
Best example of that I ever saw was the old M5 commercial with Madonna in it. It was only on t'internet as it was a bit naughty for TV. The guy executes a perfect drift and takes his hands off to clap as it comes back
Old 24 October 2005, 02:09 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jfrf

I do this when the car has gone completely sideways. Basically, it's a very quick way of getting opposite lock on. The key is to make sure you counter this very quickly when it snaps back. I thought this was standard practice.
Old 24 October 2005, 03:05 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by JTaylor
I do this when the car has gone completely sideways. Basically, it's a very quick way of getting opposite lock on. The key is to make sure you counter this very quickly when it snaps back. I thought this was standard practice.
Isn't it also a technique for getting the opposite lock you've wound on off again in a hurry! :-) Trouble is, you've got to catch the wheel at the right moment!
:-)

NS04
Old 18 November 2005, 09:18 AM
scoobylav
Scooby Regular

I would NEVER let go of the wheel when oversteering. As said earlier controlling oversteer in a scoob isnt that hard it is the catching it when it comes back, if it snaps back.
Old 18 November 2005, 12:53 PM
tath
Scooby Regular

you don't have to catch the wheel at the right moment - it centres itself to your direction of travel (not direction you're facing) which should be enough to straighten you with proper throttle control, without flicking you back t'other way.
Old 18 November 2005, 03:12 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobylav
I would NEVER let go of the wheel when oversteering. As said earlier controlling oversteer in a scoob isnt that hard it is the catching it when it comes back, if it snaps back.
I personally wasn't talking about completely letting go of the wheel but allowing slip.
Old 18 November 2005, 03:35 PM
Horico
Scooby Regular

i was in a car with a racing driver demonstrating sliding in all manner of cars but mainly a crappy old hire mondeo - 2 litre no less....the key to saving it was winding off the opposite lock at the right time and the car just went back in the direction it was facing....he was very smooth when doing it too.

He demonstrated too what happened if you kept the lock on and the snap oversteer was so violent it was ridiculous - it's this that puts you in the hedge....there's a video of a guy in an sti on here that was on a recent thread where you can see it happening....if i see it i'll post back on here...

ha.

here it is.....

http://www.sidtech.co.uk/vu/JAPFEST2004_ALL_LAPS.wmv

looks like snap oversteer to me....

Last edited by Horico; 18 November 2005 at 03:42 PM.
Old 18 November 2005, 08:08 PM
abc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Horico
He demonstrated too what happened if you kept the lock on and the snap oversteer was so violent it was ridiculous - it's this that puts you in the hedge....there's a video of a guy in an sti on here that was on a recent thread where you can see it happening....
here it is.....

http://www.sidtech.co.uk/vu/JAPFEST2004_ALL_LAPS.wmv

looks like snap oversteer to me....
Thanks -- that's a very salutary clip. I'm a beginner at these things, but I wonder whether a contributing factor was that the guy in the vid was going so fast that he just didn't have the space to correct the oversteer with the lock that he had on. I mean, if he had wound the lock off earlier, would the car have come back into line?
Old 18 November 2005, 08:40 PM
scoobylav
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by abc
I mean, if he had wound the lock off earlier, would the car have come back into line?
Most probably yes. However in that situation you dont always think clearly.
Old 18 November 2005, 10:24 PM
tath
Scooby Regular

search for 'madonna bmw m5' on limewire or something to see some really brilliant driving and a good example of the crazy letting go of the steering wheel
Old 19 November 2005, 07:04 AM
Horico
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by abc
if he had wound the lock off earlier, would the car have come back into line?
The guy I was in the car with was getting upto 80-90 mph before even provoking the lift off oversteer so yes, you can correct it at those speeds...

Just takes some serious driver skill and 'feel'.

Quick Reply: Recovering from oversteer