Notices
Driving Dynamics Driving techniques (trail braking, power slides, donuts, scandinavian flicks, etc), and vehicle dynamics (roll centres, c/g weigh transfer, etc)

New to DCCD....help please

Search this Thread

Old 31 August 2005, 08:40 AM
sandyRS16i
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to DCCD....help please

Just new to scooby ownership, have an sti V5 type RA V-ltd.

Had a look about on the forum and found some good info on the DCCD and how it works, but was wondering if anyone can give me some advice. there is a lot of info on what the free and lock settings are, but i was wondering if anyone can advise me where to adjust it too for wet conditions on normal roads.

I was caught a little off guard the other day when the back end went when i hit boost coming off a roundabout (wasn't on full throttle or ragging it), the DCCD was set too free, but i was wondering if anyone can advise where to adjust it to in order to limit this happening again.

i understand that everyone has different driving styles and with it being an analogue device there are infinitite positions, but even if i can get an idea of the setting so that i can then work from there, to be able to utilise it.

any help will be appriciated as i want to learn about it as i am still getting used to the car.

cheers
Old 31 August 2005, 09:02 AM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

OK here is the point I start from:

Dry - From free on straights to first/second orange coming out of bends.

Wet - From second green on straights to first/second orange coming out of bends.

If you do start to use the DCCD then remember to add in to your service getting the gearbox oil changed every 12k miles.

Dave.
Old 01 September 2005, 06:48 PM
sandyRS16i
Scooby Regular

cheers for the advice, will try using that as a starting point
Old 01 September 2005, 08:00 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

whilst you may increase overall stability by winding the diff forwards you will also actively promote understeer. try driving round a damp roundabout with the diff free, then slowly wind it forwards- you will find it will want to go straight on.

I wouldn't use more than 1st yellow on the road tbh, that should do you fine. John Felstead posted an article with everything you every want to know on DCCD a while back- it would be worth you having a look if you haven't found it already.

Simon
Old 02 September 2005, 12:46 PM
tath
Scooby Regular

2nd green is usually more than enough in the wet - you get used to adjusting it coming out of corners quite quickly until it's second nature (like changine gear).
Old 02 September 2005, 02:44 PM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

You can use it fully locked, when braking, as it helps to prevent the front wheels locking up.

WARNING - Only do this in a straight line, and you can lock all four wheels up so take care.

Dave.