Notices
Driving Dynamics Driving techniques (trail braking, power slides, donuts, scandinavian flicks, etc), and vehicle dynamics (roll centres, c/g weigh transfer, etc)

Sideways.....

Search this Thread

Old 28 August 2005, 07:17 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sideways.....

No dccd.... possible to provke some sideways malarky?
Old 28 August 2005, 08:27 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup, you need some nice open space though, you dont need the handbrake (not recommended anyway) you just have to flick the car right then left, can take some getting use to though, doesnt do the tyres much good though

Tony
Old 28 August 2005, 08:35 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Yup, you need some nice open space though, you dont need the handbrake (not recommended anyway) you just have to flick the car right then left, can take some getting use to though, doesnt do the tyres much good though

Tony
Not for the next knockill trackday then... even out of the hairpin... watching too many drift videos lol
Old 29 August 2005, 06:06 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good on an airfield

Tony
Old 29 August 2005, 09:19 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Good on an airfield

Tony
Wet day @ crail it is then
Old 30 August 2005, 01:26 AM
KeithRS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wet day full stop. Managed to get mine pretty much sideways exiting a roundabout the other day, not intentional mind. Road was wet and gave it too much gas in second and out she went. First time this has happend to me in a 4x4. Used to drivin sierra's so luckily managed to pull her back quite quick which was licky as i dont condone this driving style on the open roads. Dont think the guy behind was impressed though.
Old 30 August 2005, 09:59 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KeithRS
Wet day full stop. Managed to get mine pretty much sideways exiting a roundabout the other day, not intentional mind. Road was wet and gave it too much gas in second and out she went. First time this has happend to me in a 4x4. Used to drivin sierra's so luckily managed to pull her back quite quick which was licky as i dont condone this driving style on the open roads. Dont think the guy behind was impressed though.
lol happnend to me the day after I got the car... braking hard (too fast into r/about... and turned in to round about... pulled it off.... just
Old 19 September 2005, 11:37 PM
twybrow
Scooby Regular

I booted it in 1st with some lock on out of a turning the other day (pissing down with rain) and sure enough, the back end came nicely round. Felt very controllable. Had a slight oversteer moment this evening, but that's another story....
Old 21 September 2005, 04:50 PM
alloy
Scooby Regular

I can get my 03 Sti import into a drift, not fully sideways, round pretty much most coners, especially around roundabouts in they dry. It's all about gas, release, flick, gas. the joy comes when you find the limit and balance it, but the whole scenario is different to a rwd car. not as extreme but it makes you work for it
Old 28 September 2005, 03:09 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

I find it most satisfying when intentionally kicking the back and virtually pre-empting this with the appropriate lock (split seconds after the rear begins to break loose). Keep the power on and regulate the length of the the slide with the throttle. As ever, play safe and practice at an airfield or big open space.

As an aside, my car has very lttle weight at the rear

(titanium system, no spare, ally struts etc) and REO40s which aren't that good in the wet. The torque split on the RA is more rear biased then that of say a UK car, so it is easier for me to kick the back out. To predictably prevoke the loss of traction select the gear and speed which puts the turbo right at spool up point, open the throttle and then partially close or fully open according to what the seat of your pants and the steering wheel is telling you.

(JTaylor does not condone sideways tomfoolery on the public highway and will not be held responsible if reader stuffs car into armco ).
Old 28 September 2005, 05:18 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JTaylor
I find it most satisfying when intentionally kicking the back and virtually pre-empting this with the appropriate lock (split seconds after the rear begins to break loose). Keep the power on and regulate the length of the the slide with the throttle. As ever, play safe and practice at an airfield or big open space.

As an aside, my car has very lttle weight at the rear

(titanium system, no spare, ally struts etc) and REO40s which aren't that good in the wet. The torque split on the RA is more rear biased then that of say a UK car, so it is easier for me to kick the back out. To predictably prevoke the loss of traction select the gear and speed which puts the turbo right at spool up point, open the throttle and then partially close or fully open according to what the seat of your pants and the steering wheel is telling you.

(JTaylor does not condone sideways tomfoolery on the public highway and will not be held responsible if reader stuffs car into armco ).
My old Type R let go... a lot... lol no need for any flicks malarky there.. much the same as your RA no dought... did all the RA's come with DCCD?
Old 28 September 2005, 05:44 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SCOOBYD00
did all the RA's come with DCCD?
Some STI RAs did. The WRX RAs never did although DCCD could, theoretically, be fitted retrospectively.

MY WRX RA has (apparently) a 50:50 torque split, with the diff set-up and light rear making it oversteer biased. Some confusing, but worthwhile reading here.

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=453917

I would be able to do this for example

http://69.93.123.230/scoobypt/videos/donuts.mpg

but it would take far more coaxing and unsettling then a DCCD equipped car with say 60-70% torque split to the rear. Put my car back to standard then it would be harder still, dry weather = very difficult, Standard UK car even harder and virtually impossible in the dry unless you're fully committed and understand the physics of weight transfer via the Norweigan flick, left braking etc.

Lots and lots of variables to consider and with so many combinations of driver and car it's always difficult to be concise.

Good reading here

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...ighlight=drift

and here

and throughtout the rest of driving dynamics. As ever, (really sorry to sound preachy, but I've learnt the hardway) it's so important to practice these techniques safely at a skid pan or airfield day. Better still book yourself onto one of Don Palmers days.

http://www.drivingdevelopment.co.uk/carcontrol.htm

Sometimes people talk about saving this sort of thing for trackdays. I say nonsense; you'll either stuff your car into the armco or someone else and when you spin every one behind you has to alter their line.

Having said all of the above, there is nothing more satisying then being able to express yourself in a car.

J

Last edited by JTaylor; 28 September 2005 at 06:13 PM.
Old 28 September 2005, 05:58 PM
Dave uk blue mica
Scooby Regular

you can get them to go sideways but its easier to flick it, this puts it into a drift no worries but practice somewhere quiet and in a wide area, once you know how to do it you can make the car go sideways virtually anywhere.
Old 28 September 2005, 08:27 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JTaylor
Some STI RAs did. The WRX RAs never did although DCCD could, theoretically, be fitted retrospectively.

MY WRX RA has (apparently) a 50:50 torque split, with the diff set-up and light rear making it oversteer biased. Some confusing, but worthwhile reading here.

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=453917

I would be able to do this for example

http://69.93.123.230/scoobypt/videos/donuts.mpg

but it would take far more coaxing and unsettling then a DCCD equipped car with say 60-70% torque split to the rear. Put my car back to standard then it would be harder still, dry weather = very difficult, Standard UK car even harder and virtually impossible in the dry unless you're fully committed and understand the physics of weight transfer via the Norweigan flick, left braking etc.

Lots and lots of variables to consider and with so many combinations of driver and car it's always difficult to be concise.

Good reading here

and here

and throughtout the rest of driving dynamics. As ever, (really sorry to sound preachy, but I've learnt the hardway) it's so important to practice these techniques safely at a skid pan or airfield day. Better still book yourself onto one of Don Palmers days.

http://www.drivingdevelopment.co.uk/carcontrol.htm

Sometimes people talk about saving this sort of thing for trackdays. I say nonsense; you'll either stuff your car into the armco or someone else and when you spin every one behind you has to alter their line.

Having said all of the above, there is nothing more satisying then being able to express yourself in a car.

J
Great response & some good reading there.. nice vid.. I need the DCCD back in my live... has anyone retroffited it and all associated parts?
Old 29 September 2005, 02:28 AM
Sideways, the way forward
Scooby Regular

a little bit of rain and a blip in 2nd around a roundabout should get the back out very easily... had it sliding beautifully the other day (P1...no dccd). Failing that, in the dry, it lift off oversteers as visious as any front wheel drive car...try that... problem is u need to be going pretty damn fast to get this to happen.
Old 29 September 2005, 05:30 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sideways, the way forward
a little bit of rain and a blip in 2nd around a roundabout should get the back out very easily... had it sliding beautifully the other day (P1...no dccd). Failing that, in the dry, it lift off oversteers as visious as any front wheel drive car...try that... problem is u need to be going pretty damn fast to get this to happen.
Just when you regain traction and head towards the center of the roundabout..