Notices
Driving Dynamics Driving techniques (trail braking, power slides, donuts, scandinavian flicks, etc), and vehicle dynamics (roll centres, c/g weigh transfer, etc)

Bridgestone potenzas and there effects on my car

Search this Thread

Old 17 October 2004, 11:39 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bridgestone potenzas and there effects on my car

tonight i gave my car quite a bit of grief, its the first time ive really pushed it scince i swapped the wheels for legacy ones with new potenzas on them

ive found that exiting roundabouts now in the dry goes like this

tight roundabout 2cnd gear
power on to bring the boost up
car doesnt slide, but spins its front inside wheel for a bit stunting my acelleration.

could this be related to my new grippy clutch and 7.5kg flywheel?

it didnt feel like understeering, it just span the inside wheel for a bit, feels nice and safe, but is it nice and fast (the eternal question)
would diffrent toe settings change this?

97 wrx
mods are

35mm gmax springs
4 x new shocks
Cusco Upper front and rear braces with a lower rear brace
uk turbo top mounts
camber bolts on rear
poly front ARB bushes
ALK
17" legacy wheels with bridgstones with plenty of tread left
0.5mm toe in per front wheel
bumpsteer mod

on the standerd 16" wheels it would tend to slide about a lot more BUT this was also with the stock, not so good clutch and the standerd flywheel

thanks

Last edited by StickyMicky; 17 October 2004 at 11:41 PM.
Old 20 October 2004, 01:24 PM
cong
Scooby Regular

are the good old bridgestone (ahem not) there crap get rid uf them asap and go for some eagle f1s and try some prodrive geomatry settings improves the handling alot!
Old 20 October 2004, 10:13 PM
CHRIS V5
Scooby Newbie

if they are new re011 there the best tyre i have ever had on my sti,any doubters can meet me on the back roads of east lothian.
Old 21 October 2004, 02:02 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

i think they are
there the brand new ones which are fitted to the legacys

ill be honest, i also think there actualy pretty dam good in the wet, im seriously impressed with the wet weather stuff, where i would fully expect to slide with the old tyres/wheels/ it just keeps gripping

i did sum more "testing" tonight on the way home from work, i felt i had to really, really upset the car for it to go sideways at a usual testing spot, it did go, but it also gripped a lot sooner then i expected, this was on wet tarmac

later on when i aproached my next usual testing spot, i powered around a roundabout in 3rd gear and tried the same, wet tarmac but slightly more dry, this was met with car staying put and spinning its inside front wheel, no under steer, no over steer, just going around a corner, so i backed off and messed about the wheel to provoke sum slideing

im confused, they seam to grip so well in the wet, but this ends up makeing the inside front wheel spinning as i power out

i dont think i understand exactly how the diffs work, if this front wheel continuied to slide, would the power be sent to the other front wheel or the rears? (or both?)

hmm
major thought
tyres grip so much more, that the the car rolls a bit more, helping the outside tyre bite down into the tarmac, meaning the inside wheels lift a touch and the front wheels ends up spinning>>??
Old 21 October 2004, 08:44 AM
AvalancheS8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
major thought
tyres grip so much more, that the the car rolls a bit more, helping the outside tyre bite down into the tarmac, meaning the inside wheels lift a touch and the front wheels ends up spinning>>??
That sounds about right.

The front diff is free, if the inside wheel is spinning, most of the power at the front axle will be going to it, although the limited slip centre will help to provide some drive from the back.
Old 21 October 2004, 09:25 AM
prana
Scooby Regular

StickyMicky, read up on open and salisbury type diffs. Dats why rally dudes use the plated stuff.. noisy as hell but does the job brilliantly
Old 22 October 2004, 01:17 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

cheers i will do, to be honest i dont actualy want to uprate the power anymore on the car, i want to make sure whats there can be put down properlly, when i want it to

so the handling is taking a prority (until my mate beats me in his evo fq thing)

would the cusco lower front 4 point brace help me at all?

my wheels will be coming off soon anyway once the crappy weather comes back, so the 16`s and thew old crappy tyres will be back on, which means back to the usual fun and games slidey, slidey stuff
Old 17 November 2004, 03:25 AM
STI_315hp_GDB
Scooby Newbie

hey sticky ,
listen to my advice and change these damned tyres , they are the worst tyres you can get for a turbo car ...

i was going to lose my STI 2004 for these tyres ...
but thank god im using Prelli PZero Tyres they are the best in Drifiting control suprieor grip and awsome speed gains ... and try to go for N2 for the air ...
Old 18 November 2004, 09:56 AM
WRXPete
Scooby Regular

God damn i can only agree....i have the RE050s that came as standard on the MY03 WRX....if nothing else, they seem really noisy as well.
Still, it's a good excuse to go on some nutty drives so that they wear out quickly and i can replace them