Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

knocking legacy

Search this Thread

Old 27 May 2002, 08:24 PM
leggy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

i have a knocking that comes and goes.at first it was on the drivers side of the engine but after looking over the cams and followers and putting it back together without changing any parts the knocking stopped. this lasted for a month but then the noise came back but somehow changed sides.so i then changed four tappets on that side .this worked for another month before coming back please help.the knock doesnt happen when cold but during the warm up.its done 118.00 any advice would be great.
Old 27 May 2002, 10:08 PM
ustolemyname??stevieturbo
Scooby Regular

Sounds very likely it could be the hydraulic lifters. They do give trouble on these cars. What sort of oil are you using.. not anything like Mobil 0/40 etc.. Its way too thin for these engines. Use Mobil 1 motorsport or similar 15/50. It might help. Otherwise it could be a heads off job to clean out the oilways, and probably try to find the dodgy lifters if possible. I think changing the oils sounds easier. Dont try to use engine flush, It will probably make things worse.
Old 28 May 2002, 06:29 AM
leggy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

USTOLEMYNAME JUST GOT BACK OFF NIGHTS AND SEEN YOUR REPLY.IM RUNNING A 5/50 OIL NOW BUT I HAVE TRIED 10/30 AND 10/40 OIL WITH NO EFFECT.I WILL TRY THE MOBILE 1 FIRST BEFORE ANY HEAD REMOVAL IT DOES SOUND A BIT EASIER.WHY DO YOU THINK THE FLUSH WONT HELP.AND WHERE IS THE BEST PLACE TO OBTAIN THE PARTS FOR DOING THE HEAD
THANKS LEGGY
Old 28 May 2002, 08:41 PM
dfullerton
Scooby Regular

Subaru recomend flushing and say 10/ 40 oil, i had all my lifters changed on my leagcy £26 each. i got sick of the noise. regular flushes and change of oil is the only way to keep them sweet.
Old 28 May 2002, 09:45 PM
Scooby Regular

Flushing the system can dislodge any deposits with the result being that they get stuck somewhere where they cause blockage in smaller oilways ie the lifters/turbo etc. This can be a common problem on some high milage engines ( not specific to subaru, more common on some other crappy engines, but just be aware it can happen ). Sometimes its just best to leave what gunk there is in place where its doing no harm. You could flush it, and find the problem gets much worse.
Old 29 May 2002, 09:50 PM
leggy
Scooby Regular

CHANGED THE OIL TO MOBILE 15-50 SO FAR SO GOOD NO KNOCKING.MOTER FACTORS DONT SEEM TO STOCK THAT GRADE ANY MORE LUCKY HALFORDS DO.ONLY PROBLEM BEING DISCOVERD SLIT CV BOOT WHILE CHANGING OIL.£13.00 SEEMS EXSPENSIVE.WHO ARE THE BEST SUBARU PARTS PEOPLE.
Old 30 May 2002, 09:28 PM
Scooby Regular

I dont think its that they dont stock it any more..., just they dont stock it. It is a more performance based oil, whereas the 0/40 crap is designed for modern everday cars. ALthough there are actually very few cars which would be happy with oil this thin that I know of.

Trending Topics

Old 31 May 2002, 01:25 AM
NutterKam
Scooby Regular

Dave, I've heard my tappets clatter just twice - both on really cold nights. Haven't heard them since even though engine is on 172K! Have you fitted your oil temp gauge yet?