Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

dccd retrofit question about hand brake!

Search this Thread

Old 19 December 2013, 07:47 PM
d.kenny
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default dccd retrofit question about hand brake!

well

a long time ago now i butchered the dccd loom from my v3 type r...made it standalone and fitted it into my 4 door!

it all works well now...slightly more violent when fully locked and the transmission winds up a fair amount which as far as i am aware is normal but ever since i fitted it i have never been able to get the diff to open when the handbrake is applied

i used the 'v6 dccd' wiring diagram thats all over google images but have never managed to get it to work

can anyone enlighten me as to why???

does the handbrake signal cable need to make or break the circuit to enable the cointroller to open the diff?

tbh it was a massive flook i think that i managed to get it to work in the first place and no matter how i tried to make a note of the wiring i had done it never made sense after haha
Old 19 December 2013, 08:30 PM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes the h/brake allows the diff to default "open"
Old 19 December 2013, 08:43 PM
d.kenny
Scooby Regular

i know that haha

i think i actually spoke to you on the phone a looong time ago regarding this

iv got it all wired in and working as in the thumbwheel is working the lights on the dash and the diff is operating correctly

but...

the problem i have never been able to rectify is the handbrake one...i.e. when i pull the handbrake up the diff does not revert to open

in all honesty i gave up trying to get it to work so now have a diff that works but the handbrake has no input at all

i dont know if im meant to have more than just the one wire that is for the handbrake feed going to the hb switch?

iv never actually been able to find a diagram for the v3 dccd ecu but have just managed to find one but its in japanese and looking at what is there it seems to contradict the drawing i worked to which actually allowed me to get the sstem to work

i think what i need to know is should the handbrake wire from the dccd ecu be live or not for starters and then check from there...

i literally have one wire...the handbrake wire...spare coming from the ecu and no matter what i do with it it does not change the position of the lights on my dash!
Old 19 December 2013, 08:47 PM
d.kenny
Scooby Regular

i sort of worked from this

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=v3...ml%3B756%3B756

but when cutting the loom from the type r i just made a note of every live and earth to the dccd controller and wired it as per that in the new shell

i never really took much notice of the handbrake switch though as it was one spade connector and thought that it would not cause any problems...WRONG!

the only thing i can think of is that when i made the loom there should of been another wire spliced into the handbrake switch wire that i didnt do or otheriwse iv wired it incorrectly somewhere else which i think is unlikely as everything else functions correctly
Old 19 December 2013, 08:48 PM
d.kenny
Scooby Regular

another better one that i didnt see when i did mine

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=v3...l%3B1621%3B756
Old 20 December 2013, 08:31 AM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

if your going simply off the dash lights then you wont see any change....................they simply indicate a rough guide to the thumbwheel setting
Old 20 December 2013, 08:37 AM
d.kenny
Scooby Regular

The diff is definitely working and operating as it should be its just when you apply the handbrake the diff does not revert back to open as per an original car

I needto know if the wire that gos to te handbrake from the dccd controller should be joine to another wire or powered up or what as when i make or break a circuit by earthing that wire to the body it has no effect on the diff or the lights on the dash

Trending Topics

Old 20 December 2013, 10:19 AM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

I'd heard that the actual trigger was the handbrake light lighting up on the dash i.e. when that bulb goes live it switched the box to open, but that could be cobblers and I'm no electrician.

I have a retrofitted dccd in my car but I leave the diff fully open 99% of the time.
Old 20 December 2013, 10:53 AM
d.kenny
Scooby Regular

Same as that fat boy

Joking apart though what you hve just said does make sense to me as from adrawing i looked at the handbrake does seem to have something to do with a bulb but if that was the case i should be able to power that wire up and the diff should open which i do not think it does

Il have to try powering the wire up and see what happens

Anyone else heard of this though to?
Old 04 January 2014, 01:15 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Diff defaults open i.e. If no power to the diff, it reverts to a fully open setting from wherever it has been locked to.

Good luck
Old 04 January 2014, 02:34 PM
d.kenny
Scooby Regular

I know this fat boy

Problem is i dont know what signal the dccd ecu needs to see off the handbrake wire for it to open

As it is i got fed up with trying to get the handbrake to function the dccd so lef the wire unhooked and jat have to remeber to put the diff into open when giving it big ***** on the handbrake
Old 04 January 2014, 05:03 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Just in case

This guy made his own loom to get it to work - haven't read it in detail but maybe something helpful in there or you could PM him? Good luck

https://www.scoobynet.com/subaru-par...poke-loom.html
Old 08 January 2014, 09:44 AM
tom-r33
Scooby Regular

DCCD box with no signal = open diff. So the handbrake must break the circuit
Old 08 January 2014, 11:20 AM
d.kenny
Scooby Regular

I can still operate te diff perfectly as it is though ad it is working as you can tell when your driving it

I need to have a tit about with it and unclip the loom i have and see whats what

Il try firstly by powering the handbrake up and seeing what happens as currently the circuit is permanantly broken as the hand brake wire is not connected to anything

Im sure i tried all of this before though to no avail

It weird because the only wires that go to the clocks plug into the dccd lights signal and nothing to the handbrake dash light like has een suggested

Unless im experimenting with the wrkng wire but im pretty sure i only have one wire...the handbrake wire...spare
Old 08 January 2014, 05:11 PM
subinewbi
Scooby Newbie

I recently installed a dccdpro universal controller and here is my understanding on how the h.brake works. The h.brake input should be float (not ground) when h.brake is released and when pulled should short to body ground. The box senses the ground connection and shuts the power off to the coil. The point I tapped in was the wire right after the h.brake switch. I am not sure about the older models though.