Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

2008 hatch wrx sti questioning a whine?

Search this Thread

Old 27 June 2013, 12:18 AM
JaSti
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 hatch wrx sti questioning a whine?

Hi all recently purchased 2008reg WRX STi 40k miles. i noticed a whine in 1st and 2nd gear i was told this was exaggerated by the bits fitted it goes into gear perfect and drives as it should so wasn't worried at the time! but its got me asking the question so suppose i am left wondering is it a problem!!?

It has Kartboy short shift kit, Kartboy front and rear shifter stay bushes
Whiteline rear diff Inserts fitted.

So anyone tell me if this is at all normal.

Thanks
J
Old 27 June 2013, 09:05 AM
Fudgey
Scooby Regular

does is sound like its in reverse?

my 2001 bug sounds like its got straight cut first and second gears, but its ok in the rest.

i changed the gearbox oil to the uncle scottys cocktail not long after buying the car in march.

it made no difference what-so-ever to the noise!

ive got used to it now, it drives mint, shifts mint so until something breaks ill leave it...

i have no other mods to the transmission
Old 27 June 2013, 09:08 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that will be a fcked synchro
Old 27 June 2013, 01:44 PM
JaSti
Scooby Newbie

yeah its a similar sound to driving in reverse! only 1st 2nd so nothing thats been added will effect the sound? it drives perfect just the noise that made me wonder maybe i was a bit naive!!

If its the synchro whats the procedure? il be taking to barrettes motorsport in Canterbury to get checked.

Cheers
Old 27 June 2013, 01:50 PM
Fudgey
Scooby Regular

excuse my ignorance tommy, im certainly no transmission expert!

if it were a synchro, would it not crunch when changing gear etc? ie going into first and second? even before i done the USC it was fine for putting into gear.
i can get mine into first while rolling at circa 15-20 mph

i was thinking its more a bearing issue, or chipped teeth on 1st and second?
Old 27 June 2013, 02:25 PM
Carlh
Scooby Regular

if its a whine, it could be the girlfriend/wife moaning about the petrol again intead of taking them on holiday or dining them out lol. thats what mine is ,anyway
Old 27 June 2013, 02:44 PM
JaSti
Scooby Newbie

lol Carlh the M3 V8 was worse makes the subaru seem good!

anyway as above id imagine id have issues getting into gear if it was? i am no expert so il just get it checked out, crossed fingers its nothing major
Old 27 June 2013, 03:27 PM
Fudgey
Scooby Regular

Keep us updated then bud please.
as i said, it still works in mine so ill only pull it apart when it breaks lol

API will see you a recon gearbox for about £900

but the way i work is: if i dont know how something works, ill have a look and try to DIY it. that way if it happens again ill know what to do!
Old 27 June 2013, 04:20 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fudgey
Keep us updated then bud please.
as i said, it still works in mine so ill only pull it apart when it breaks lol

API will see you a recon gearbox for about £900

but the way i work is: if i dont know how something works, ill have a look and try to DIY it. that way if it happens again ill know what to do!
API Impreza Engine Performance Ltd
3 & 4 Churchlands Farm Ind. Est.
Bascote Road
Harbury
Warwickshire
CV33 9PL England

Phone 44 [0] 1926 614333
Sales@apiengines.com
www.apiimpreza.com
www.apiengines.com/index3.php

Not sure where that comes from. That was the price for a 5 speeder a while back, they're cheaper now, but a 6 speed is going to be more like £2500.00 + VAT exchange as they are expensive to repair.

Synchros don't / can't whine.

I reckon that the add-ons are the problem, transmittiing the inherent noise into the frame. Throw all that crap off, it does nothing anyway and put it back to standard. Then someone [ we can ] evaluate what might or might not be wrong.

All transmissions make a noise, it is unavoidable due to what is going on inside. Rubber bushes are there to insulate the car from the noises, sometimes more effectively than others - but hard bushes and direct type quickshifts ruin the insulation and you get noise transfer.

But don't assume that's what it is, because if there is something adrift, a stitch in time might save a bigger bill. Generally, 6 speeders are bulletproof and quiet. Sadly the drivers/owners are not.

If we can help and you are near enough pop in for an opinion and a road test It costs nowt.

Good Luck no matter what, David APi

Last edited by APIDavid; 27 June 2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old 27 June 2013, 05:20 PM
JaSti
Scooby Newbie

Hi David,

Thanks for your reply if anything i feel a little better about it now! il no doubt call you if i need any further information and check your location see ow far you are!

thanks again for your input

J
Old 27 June 2013, 07:07 PM
Fudgey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by APIDavid
API Impreza Engine Performance Ltd
3 & 4 Churchlands Farm Ind. Est.
Bascote Road
Harbury
Warwickshire
CV33 9PL England

Phone 44 [0] 1926 614333
Sales@apiengines.com
www.apiimpreza.com
www.apiengines.com/index3.php

Not sure where that comes from. That was the price for a 5 speeder a while back, they're cheaper now, but a 6 speed is going to be more like £2500.00 + VAT exchange as they are expensive to repair.

Synchros don't / can't whine.

I reckon that the add-ons are the problem, transmittiing the inherent noise into the frame. Throw all that crap off, it does nothing anyway and put it back to standard. Then someone [ we can ] evaluate what might or might not be wrong.

All transmissions make a noise, it is unavoidable due to what is going on inside. Rubber bushes are there to insulate the car from the noises, sometimes more effectively than others - but hard bushes and direct type quickshifts ruin the insulation and you get noise transfer.

But don't assume that's what it is, because if there is something adrift, a stitch in time might save a bigger bill. Generally, 6 speeders are bulletproof and quiet. Sadly the drivers/owners are not.

If we can help and you are near enough pop in for an opinion and a road test It costs nowt.

Good Luck no matter what, David APi
Appologies, i was going off a price you gave me in march for a 5 speed. Only just clocked the op has an sti!
Old 27 June 2013, 10:05 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The early hatch boxes are known for noises, this is due to the design of the baulk rings in the box, you'll probably notice on first start in a morning it will sound awefull bit like a gratey noise, Nothing to be immediately concerned about. but if it's really causing you serious issues they did modify the part, but being honest we've never fitted one yet, also the hatch box doesn't run an oil pump either, it's all splash fed with gallery's and guides..

BTW 40k is due an oil change on the box incase you've not changed it yet 75W90
Old 27 June 2013, 11:49 PM
JaSti
Scooby Newbie

Thanks rob its due for a service so il have it changed along with cambelt and will diff oil need doing?

Cheers il prob stop stressing now and enjoy!

J
Old 27 June 2013, 11:51 PM
JaSti
Scooby Newbie

By the way last owner did say he only started hearing the noises after the bushing and short shift had been fitted.

J
Old 28 June 2013, 08:46 AM
Fudgey
Scooby Regular

on the flip side, mine has no modifications at all, but has had a replacement engine from API before i bought it.
but i severely doubt changing the engine would have any effect on the transmission.
if i get chance ill try and arrange at some point for API to have a look, but i know thats going to end up costing me a lot of money lol.
Old 28 June 2013, 11:45 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rob84
The early hatch boxes are known for noises, this is due to the design of the baulk rings in the box, you'll probably notice on first start in a morning it will sound awefull bit like a gratey noise, Nothing to be immediately concerned about. but if it's really causing you serious issues they did modify the part, but being honest we've never fitted one yet, also the hatch box doesn't run an oil pump either, it's all splash fed with gallery's and guides..

BTW 40k is due an oil change on the box incase you've not changed it yet 75W90
No harm done on mentioning APi above mate, Just that I like to make sure that when someone rings us they are not under the illusion that a 6 speeder can be fixed for £900 as a recon unit.

Being a transmission expert, I am really interested to know how a synchro ring can cause a whine. They are trapped on the sprags of the synchro hubs and run an oil film between the mating face of the ring and the taper on the gear. Which is the only rotating situation where a noise might occur BUT there is almost no contact with anything that might cause a whine, so that is an interesting theory that they can whine.

The carbon coating on the rings from 08 hatch on is to improve synchromesh as the earlier non coated rings had a short shelf life. and started crunching well within warranty.....

Chuck away all the "improvements " I think you'll find that'll fix it.

David APi
Old 28 June 2013, 12:59 PM
Fudgey
Scooby Regular

Exactly as i thought david. the only things that could whine are the bearings, or if the actual gear teeth are damaged
Old 28 June 2013, 05:37 PM
JaSti
Scooby Newbie

I popped into Torque Developments today in lakeside went in to ask about a service I mention the gearbox whine I have he said "oh that will be your synco" he didn't go in
The car just said what he thinks it is and That I have no fix other than a rebuild. I'm Not slagging them as I'm no expert! But David seems to knowHis stuff and I'm Getting mixed views? I understand it's hard to examin From a forum post!! But I'd love to know if it's normal or not I doubt it is tbh! Just really hoping there is a easy fix. Il prob give you a call David and chat on the phone.

Cheers
J
Old 28 June 2013, 08:26 PM
Fudgey
Scooby Regular

Maybe try and take vid while driving to record the sound?
Old 28 June 2013, 10:47 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by APIDavid

Being a transmission expert, I am really interested to know how a synchro ring can cause a whine. They are trapped on the sprags of the synchro hubs and run an oil film between the mating face of the ring and the taper on the gear. Which is the only rotating situation where a noise might occur BUT there is almost no contact with anything that might cause a whine, so that is an interesting theory that they can whine.

The carbon coating on the rings from 08 hatch on is to improve synchromesh as the earlier non coated rings had a short shelf life. and started crunching well within warranty.....
Just on what we are told 5 years ago, Like I said above if you read my comment we've not done any of these as yet, But that was obviously overlooked

But on another note Looking through all of the information at my disposal I have dug something else up on this matter, I'll pm the op