Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Clutch slippig issues after box, flywheel & clutch replaced

Search this Thread

Old 09 March 2013, 07:54 AM
Clarkie GT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch slippig issues after box, flywheel & clutch replaced

Changed from a TY752 to a TY754 last weekend, with a teg flywheel and new 230mm exedy clutch (Graham Goode supplied) at the same time.

Now when in first the clutch slips quite bad, throttle has to be feathered alot to pull off without slipage, 2nd the clutch slips a little less, in 3rd it hardly slips at all then in 4th and 5th it doesnt slip at all.

I wil say that when i was filling the gear box with a funnel through the dipstick it burped and spilt a tea spoon of oil on the bell housing and some may have gone through the hole in the bell housing onto the clutch, but if it conaminated the clutch then surely it would slip just the same in all gears? i cant understand why 3rd, 4th and 5th are ok.

is there something else that requires changing? ie clutch fork, slave cylinder etc to one off a TY754? i just swapped all those parts off my old box.

Car's a 95 wrx

Thanx in advance for any replies
Old 09 March 2013, 08:53 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Did you give the clutch time to bed in or did you give it full wack straight away I know most assume that it's only brakes that need bedding in but I've found you have to give the clutch some time to bed in as well Or you might get the symtoms what your describing also if the clutch has any sort of contamination on the plates.SJ
Old 09 March 2013, 09:11 AM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

As above, try using it gently for 100 miles to bed in. However one or two people have had problems with Exeddy clutches. Let your supplier know about it straight away incase it comes down to a warranty issue. Any oil on the plate will not help things & slippage is always going to be worse in lower gears.
Old 09 March 2013, 11:31 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RICHARD J
As above, try using it gently for 100 miles to bed in. However one or two people have had problems with Exeddy clutches. Let your supplier know about it straight away incase it comes down to a warranty issue. Any oil on the plate will not help things & slippage is always going to be worse in lower gears.
Surely slippage would be worse in higher gears because there is more resistance. That's why people used to say to test a clutch you put it in 5th with the handbrake on to see if it slips... Power will go down line of least resistance so instead of driving the wheels in high gears its easier to slip the clutch if its worn.

I don't think I've explained that well but yea high gears would be worse

Last edited by GazJenno; 09 March 2013 at 11:34 PM.
Old 10 March 2013, 03:31 PM
Clarkie GT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GazJenno
Surely slippage would be worse in higher gears because there is more resistance. That's why people used to say to test a clutch you put it in 5th with the handbrake on to see if it slips... Power will go down line of least resistance so instead of driving the wheels in high gears its easier to slip the clutch if its worn.

I don't think I've explained that well but yea high gears would be worse
Which was exactly my trail of thought... why would a clutch slip when its only handling say 80hp in 1st, then not slip at full throttle in 4th and 5th when its handling 300hp.

any way, had a few hours on the car this morning and found out the cause, a rear drive shaft had come out, so was spinning all the power away through the diff, i shall start a new thread about why the shaft has come out.

thanx for your input any how guys
Old 10 March 2013, 07:00 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

Sorry guys but you don't seem to understand what a gear box does. Stall tests are usually done in 4th which is direct drive on a 5 speed. This is because a lower gear ie 1st would probably burn a good clutch out. Try & pull off in 5th & you stall a lower gear applies more torque to the wheels allowing you to pull away. If your engine produces 500 BHP it does so at a certain amount of revs not a certain gear. Anyway glad you found out what caused it at least you don't need another clutch.

Last edited by RICHARD J; 10 March 2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old 13 March 2013, 10:46 AM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RICHARD J
Sorry guys but you don't seem to understand what a gear box does. Stall tests are usually done in 4th which is direct drive on a 5 speed. This is because a lower gear ie 1st would probably burn a good clutch out. Try & pull off in 5th & you stall a lower gear applies more torque to the wheels allowing you to pull away. If your engine produces 500 BHP it does so at a certain amount of revs not a certain gear. Anyway glad you found out what caused it at least you don't need another clutch.
I know what a gearbox does and yes clearkie has got a bit confused as you obviously make same power in every gear. My point is that when you make 300ftlb of torque in the engine, the clutch has to transfer that to the box and in 1st there is less resistance against the engine because the torque is multiplied so the clutch has an easier job... In higher gears, on the gearbox side there is more resistance to motion so when the engine hits high torque levels but the gearbox side doesn't want to speed up as easily, the clutch is going to have a hard time...