gearbox options-any gearbox gods out there

Search this Thread

Old 18 December 2012, 11:44 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts
Default gearbox options-any gearbox gods out there

i need some help regarding gearboxes please

i have a blob wrx 54 plate that i want to push the power up in next year but have worries about my 5 speed going bang

my box and diff are on 96k at the min

i was going to go for a 6 speed but at around £1800 fitted its quite expensive,im happy with the ratios of the 5 speed and i think i will dislike the 6 speed ratios its purely the power it can handle which interests me

somebody on here is running a wrx at around 400bhp on a hawkeye 5 speed box,he seems to think they have stronger boxes-is this true? if so will one fit my blobeye?

should i just risk it with my gearbox and if it breaks then make a choice?

how much do second hand 5-speeds go for?

i have spoke with api and they can fit a fully recon 5 speed box for around £1100

i want a really quick everyday car so i want to be running a andy forrest td05 16g turbo at around 340+ bhp

i dont do trackdays/donuts/launches-i look after my car but i want confidence when i put my foot down every now and then

before the sti brigade start banging on about buying an sti as they are better-ive heard it all before and im sorry but...........yawn yawn yawn-im not asking for people to tell me the difference between an sti and a wrx, i swapped my type r for this scoob and i got a really good deal,for a decent sti its gonna be aound £7k+ which i dont have all at once so i want to modify my car over the next year and enjoy it
Old 19 December 2012, 09:57 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A Hawkeye WRX box will not easily fit your car, as they use a press clutch, not a pull clutch. I s'pose you could convert to pull type if you fit the flywheel and clutch as well. Plus you'd need to change the rear diff to match the 4.111 ratio of the late Hawk front diff too.

But why? the Hawk 5 speed is no stronger than a late Blob 5 speed and you will have the hassle of changing the clutch etc. for no better reason.

Used boxes [ like used Subaru engines ] are a lottery, with luck you'll get a good one.

David APi
Old 19 December 2012, 12:33 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

after market gearkit is only way to keep the 5 speed, i;ve got a ppg kit in mine, but you wont get one for under 2-2.5k, there is one for sale on here though
Old 19 December 2012, 12:36 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer

Originally Posted by Tidgy
after market gearkit is only way to keep the 5 speed, i;ve got a ppg kit in mine, but you wont get one for under 2-2.5k, there is one for sale on here though
The Albins Kit that 'Clinic are selling now is better, Tidge.

" in my opinion "

David
Old 19 December 2012, 12:46 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by APIDavid
The Albins Kit that 'Clinic are selling now is better, Tidge.

" in my opinion "

David
yeah, they de-rated the ppg kit didnt they, swines lol although they have introduced a higher rated one, iirc its about 5k+ for the kit though isnt it?

only reason i mentioned the ppg is cos theres one for sale, will be alot cheaper than a new one thats for sure.

If going new def get clincis albin kit, its turban tested
Old 19 December 2012, 01:00 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

I haven't seen the 'latest ' PPG but the original was adapted from a kit that was designed for the old TY752 set up and used the 'wrong ' synchro ring on 3rd or 4th [ can't remember ] So you couldn't get many miles out of it before it went all crunchy,

And if the gear needs replacing it does get expensive. I know Mark at Lateral was not going to restock once he'd sold all remaining stock - demand is low, quality is poor and price is high - WHAT a selling feature!!.

Turban tested - I like that !!

D
Old 19 December 2012, 01:02 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

mines been ok, although dont do much milage on it lol.

hehe yeah, few vids on youtube of siad testign as well now lol
Old 24 December 2012, 02:20 PM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by APIDavid
A Hawkeye WRX box will not easily fit your car, as they use a press clutch, not a pull clutch. I s'pose you could convert to pull type if you fit the flywheel and clutch as well. Plus you'd need to change the rear diff to match the 4.111 ratio of the late Hawk front diff too.

But why? the Hawk 5 speed is no stronger than a late Blob 5 speed and you will have the hassle of changing the clutch etc. for no better reason.

Used boxes [ like used Subaru engines ] are a lottery, with luck you'll get a good one.

David APi
David

Have you stripped a hawkeye WRX box? The info I was given was that they were uprated to handle the extra torque of the 2.5 and part of that was a redesign of the front end. The case is substantially wider at the front diff area when compared to a 754 case. I have sat two side by side and the difference is noticeable but have not stripped a hawkeye one to see if it is indeed much different. Would be good to know if you have split one and what the differences are.
Old 24 December 2012, 09:19 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are want keep the 5 speed ratios as above guys suggest PPG,we are running PPG and really we are like the ratios of the PPG and we are run on our PPG 490bhp

Jura