Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Front wheel bearing/hub - DIY or garage?

Search this Thread

Old 12 December 2012, 02:59 PM
Mouser
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front wheel bearing/hub - DIY or garage?

Impreza '09 plate the bearing and hub comes complete. Difficult job or anything in particular to look out for? Thanks in advance.
Old 12 December 2012, 03:06 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Changing the hub is straight forward enough bud but changing the bearing aint so easy unless you have the correct tools, just make sure you disconnect the abs sensor so not to cause any damage, and that's probably the worst bit once the hub is actually off is getting the abs sensor out, leave it soak in wd40 or something similar for a few hours if it resists a gentle effort but be prepared to may be source another if it don't come out in one piece And they ain't the cheapest things on earth either but apart from that its easy enough to remove the actual hub assy
Old 12 December 2012, 03:27 PM
Mouser
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Infected by sti
Changing the hub is straight forward enough bud but changing the bearing aint so easy unless you have the correct tools, just make sure you disconnect the abs sensor so not to cause any damage, and that's probably the worst bit once the hub is actually off is getting the abs sensor out, leave it soak in wd40 or something similar for a few hours if it resists a gentle effort but be prepared to may be source another if it don't come out in one piece And they ain't the cheapest things on earth either but apart from that its easy enough to remove the actual hub assy
Many thanks for the reply although going by what you said especially with the pitfalls, I think I will pass it on to the professionals. The part alone is pushing £200.
Thanks again buddy.
Old 12 December 2012, 03:55 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Honestly bud just swapping the hub is easy enough, just your few basic tools will achieve that, I can see your reasoning behind using the garage but just bear in mind labour costs as if they spend 'x' amount of time just trying to remove the abs sensor alone then that's on top of your labour cost of changing the hub, decent garages won't sting you for the abs change but its worth asking the question as if they have to spend say an hour playin about trying to get the sensor out then that's another hours labour, and that's if it comes out in one piece after trying, but I can't imagine them charging you if it broke on the way out, or we never did anyway, just got you to cover the cost of the sensor as if its stuck in their then chances are its gonna break on the way out, so just way up the costs if I was you bud, if it is stuck tho try giving it some heat, just watch the sensor an cable and like I say soak the sensor and leave it to work its way in, keep applying as necessary, not all of them are ***** to get out but some are
Old 12 December 2012, 05:04 PM
Mouser
Scooby Regular

Main agent has put through a warranty claim although the car is a few months outwith the warranty period. Fingers crossed it is granted because I will not be doing the job myself as the risk of doing more damage is too great. Really appreciated your advice.
Old 13 December 2012, 04:55 PM
Mouser
Scooby Regular

Update - Subaru have agreed to supply the part foc which just leaves the labour charge for me to take care of. Good of Subaru to supply the part but bearing failure on a 3 year old car with very low mileage shouldn't really happen.
Old 13 December 2012, 05:04 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Labour time at main dealers bud is rather expensive iirc, make it quite clear if the sensor don't come out you don't want them spending hours on the sensor or your gonna get stung! Or are they supplying a complete hub inc sensor do you know? Either way bear it in mind bud as what you think is a good deal could turn in to a bitter taste and the price of the sensor from them if it aint included with the hub is around £300 iirc when I priced mine, so if it don't come with a sensor and yours breaks on the way out tell them what you want to do rather than being led with a huge bill you are not expecting
Old 13 December 2012, 06:17 PM
Mouser
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Infected by sti
Labour time at main dealers bud is rather expensive iirc, make it quite clear if the sensor don't come out you don't want them spending hours on the sensor or your gonna get stung! Or are they supplying a complete hub inc sensor do you know? Either way bear it in mind bud as what you think is a good deal could turn in to a bitter taste and the price of the sensor from them if it aint included with the hub is around £300 iirc when I priced mine, so if it don't come with a sensor and yours breaks on the way out tell them what you want to do rather than being led with a huge bill you are not expecting
I don't want to go in too heavy as the main dealer has been more than fair but I will be a bit put out if it takes more than a couple of hours to do the job. I assume the sensor won't be part of the deal. Thanks again.