GC8 Type RA gearbox

Search this Thread

Old 29 November 2012, 02:43 PM
Fromjun
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GC8 Type RA gearbox

Hi guys!
Do you know how many horsepower and how much torque the GC8 type RA gearbox can handle?? On my GC8 I have 330hp and 37kgm... Can I push more or it will break soon??
What do you personally have on your own cars? Any experiences on breaking this kind of gearbox?
Old 06 December 2012, 02:51 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fromjun
Hi guys!
Do you know how many horsepower and how much torque the GC8 type RA gearbox can handle?? On my GC8 I have 330hp and 37kgm... Can I push more or it will break soon??
What do you personally have on your own cars? Any experiences on breaking this kind of gearbox?

I just found this. You are pressing your luck on a TY752 type 5 speed after all of these years. The RA version has a small key locating the 5th gear to the shaft and it wears out. Then the gear rides over the key and jams and you will have a gearbox with permanent drive, because it will always be engaged in 5th. And when you select any other gear it will have 2 gears connected and will not move.

We modify these boxes to take a later type of larger key from the TY 754 type transmission and we also strengthen the 752 case with a Grp N case modification. It is too complicated to explain to someone as far away as you in Italy, it is not a simple job.

The answer to your question is that the box was probably OK to about 350 hp when it was new. But after so many years and metal fatigue it will be less. One day there will be a crunch and you will lose 2nd or 3rd gear, all the teeth will break off.

Then buy a late TY754 type and you'll be OK up to about 360 - 370 hp. ANY TY754 up to 2005 will be OK [ last of the blob eye WRX - not Hawk eye WRX] You must have the matching rear diff from the gearbox donor car too. Or get someone like us at APi to build you a special box that will fit straight in. Cost would be about 1000.00 GBP at today's prices. PLUS shipping.

Good luck call again at any time if we can help, David APi

dob@apiengines.com
Old 06 December 2012, 05:26 PM
sonic93
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What would you do for a 1000 pounds? My type r v3 box running 380 / 360 for a year now touch wood
Old 06 December 2012, 05:47 PM
Fromjun
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by APIDavid
I just found this. You are pressing your luck on a TY752 type 5 speed after all of these years. The RA version has a small key locating the 5th gear to the shaft and it wears out. Then the gear rides over the key and jams and you will have a gearbox with permanent drive, because it will always be engaged in 5th. And when you select any other gear it will have 2 gears connected and will not move.

We modify these boxes to take a later type of larger key from the TY 754 type transmission and we also strengthen the 752 case with a Grp N case modification. It is too complicated to explain to someone as far away as you in Italy, it is not a simple job.

The answer to your question is that the box was probably OK to about 350 hp when it was new. But after so many years and metal fatigue it will be less. One day there will be a crunch and you will lose 2nd or 3rd gear, all the teeth will break off.

Then buy a late TY754 type and you'll be OK up to about 360 - 370 hp. ANY TY754 up to 2005 will be OK [ last of the blob eye WRX - not Hawk eye WRX] You must have the matching rear diff from the gearbox donor car too. Or get someone like us at APi to build you a special box that will fit straight in. Cost would be about 1000.00 GBP at today's prices. PLUS shipping.

Good luck call again at any time if we can help, David APi

dob@apiengines.com

David.. if I am not wrong.. I think I bought my gearbox from you! I think it was 4 or 5 years ago.. I bought Gearbox type RA (i'm not sure it's type RA..) and STI rear diff, axl shaft and everything! Also clutch from STI/Exedi that you suggested me.. Do you remember?? Or maybe I am just confusing you with someone else... What a coincidence however..
Anyway.. I would like to keep this gearbox cause I like the ratio of the gears.. it's very short and I like it! New STI gearbox is very strong, I know, but I think it also weight much more than the 5 speed gearbox! And it results into a loss of performance! Correct me if I say something wrong!
I thought about changing the gearbox into a new STI.. but I have to replace everything, other gearbox I have to replace the front and rear axle shafts, rear diff, transmission shaft, hubs, brakes, and since it's 5x114,3 I have to change also wheels...
Maybe you were talking about new WRX gearbox.. but if I have to change.. then I would choose for the best.
Am I correct or maybe I don't need to change so many things to mount a new STI gearbox?
My rear diff is already an STI GC8's... Is it good for the new STI gearbox?? I think they have different final gear.. New has 3.9 instead I mounted 4.44.. I should change everything right??
It would be interesting to do that work about the small "key" that you were talking about.. and strenghten the case and maybe stronger gears with stronger teeth.. Or maybe it is too expensive and it would be cheaper to completely change the gearbox with a new age one?
Thanks for your help and all the answers.
Patrick
Old 06 December 2012, 11:27 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer

David.. if I am not wrong.. I think I bought my gearbox from you! I think it was 4 or 5 years ago.. I bought Gearbox type RA (i'm not sure it's type RA..) and STI rear diff, axl shaft and everything! Also clutch from STI/Exedi that you suggested me.. Do you remember?? Or maybe I am just confusing you with someone else... What a coincidence however..
Anyway.. I would like to keep this gearbox cause I like the ratio of the gears.. it's very short and I like it! New STI gearbox is very strong, I know, but I think it also weight much more than the 5 speed gearbox! And it results into a loss of performance! Correct me if I say something wrong!
I thought about changing the gearbox into a new STI.. but I have to replace everything, other gearbox I have to replace the front and rear axle shafts, rear diff, transmission shaft, hubs, brakes, and since it's 5x114,3 I have to change also wheels...
Maybe you were talking about new WRX gearbox.. but if I have to change.. then I would choose for the best.
Am I correct or maybe I don't need to change so many things to mount a new STI gearbox?
My rear diff is already an STI GC8's... Is it good for the new STI gearbox?? I think they have different final gear.. New has 3.9 instead I mounted 4.44.. I should change everything right??
It would be interesting to do that work about the small "key" that you were talking about.. and strenghten the case and maybe stronger gears with stronger teeth.. Or maybe it is too expensive and it would be cheaper to completely change the gearbox with a new age one?
Thanks for your help and all the answers.
Patrick
I think you are right l did supply a box etc. to Trieste - so we meet again.. Maybe that box already has a conversion for case strength. I do not know if we have modified the 5th gear maybe it is something we mad after that date. We have done some over the years for guys in Scandinavia and no -one has ever called up to say it broke.

I think the only way we can help is if you want to send the box back and we'll do the work. I do not have another 752 RA type as they are rather old these days. Let me know what the transmission number is on the white label on the case by the starter and l'll see if i can work out what we did for you.

Also your address might help us find the old invoice and trace it that way.

No point to break the box if we can strengthen it for you, as it will be hard to replace.

Call again if I can help.

David
Old 06 December 2012, 11:32 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by sonic93
What would you do for a 1000 pounds? My type r v3 box running 380 / 360 for a year now touch wood
That would be to supply a freshly rebuilt TY 752 type with case mods and the uprated 5th gear keyway as well as a full synchro ring and bearings rebuild.

Still no guarantee that it won't break of course That is in the hands of " the nut behind the wheel ".

No matter what we do with a transmission, we never cover gear tooth breakage under guarantee. We are happy [ not exactly happy, but you know what l mean ] to cover crunchy synchro and bearing noises. But NEVER ripped off teeth.

David
Old 07 December 2012, 12:17 AM
Fromjun
Scooby Newbie

I think you are right l did supply a box etc. to Trieste - so we meet again.. Maybe that box already has a conversion for case strength. I do not know if we have modified the 5th gear maybe it is something we mad after that date. We have done some over the years for guys in Scandinavia and no -one has ever called up to say it broke.

I think the only way we can help is if you want to send the box back and we'll do the work. I do not have another 752 RA type as they are rather old these days. Let me know what the transmission number is on the white label on the case by the starter and l'll see if i can work out what we did for you.

Also your address might help us find the old invoice and trace it that way.

No point to break the box if we can strengthen it for you, as it will be hard to replace.

Call again if I can help.

David
My car was in a workshop so I gave you the address of that workshop..
The address was:

Mac Engine's S.R.L.
Via Aquileia 19 (via Trieste 19)
33059 Villa Vicentina (UD) tel: 0431 96278

Does it match to you??
I will let you know the number of the transmission.
Thank you!
Old 07 December 2012, 10:19 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

My car was in a workshop so I gave you the address of that workshop..
The address was:

Mac Engine's S.R.L.
Via Aquileia 19 (via Trieste 19)
33059 Villa Vicentina (UD) tel: 0431 96278

Does it match to you??
I will let you know the number of the transmission.
Thank you!
Patrick, We cannot trace you either via Mac Engines or just Patrick give me your whole name, we'll try again Or better a date and year.

Kind regards David
Old 07 December 2012, 11:15 AM
Fromjun
Scooby Newbie

Patrick, We cannot trace you either via Mac Engines or just Patrick give me your whole name, we'll try again Or better a date and year.

Kind regards David

David I really don't remember the date and year..
Try to search for Patrick Tuniz, or the owner of the workshop, Giancarlo Macorin or my friend's email baronz75@gmail.com
There was this gearbox on ebay.. and I won the auction and the owner of the gearbox told me that the gearbox was in your workshop so he had to prepare the pallet for delivery. Then we, me and you, started to comunicate cause I needed all the other parts of the trasmissions cause I couldn't mount only the gearbox due to different final gear... So you also sold me axl shafts, STI rear diff, clutch and other things! Remember something??