Search this Thread

Old 06 August 2012, 06:48 PM
gibbyisking
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Gearbox is a write off :(

Hi,

On saturday I received this:

I chased up today and the results of the gearbox investigation are as follows (pictures also attached): > > Drop Gears have numerous missing / damaged teeth. Bearings are also > worn as a result Fragments of material have lodged in and around the > electric centre differential (so badly that it has sheared off the > plug lead going to the diff) The diff is broken internally and welds > have fractured causing movement A large amount of debris is now > inside the gearbox so further damage internally is a possibility > > To cut it short with the drop gears and differential damaged way beyond repair the gearbox is in effect a "write off". The cost to replace the diff and gears would far out way sourcing a used replacement or similar. Further to this if repairs were carried out then the rest of the box would need to be stripped to check for any further damage to gears and bearings from debris carried in the oil which will result in further labour costs and the chance of more parts being required.Now I have been looking at 6 speed boxes and think am going to get the full conversion. Is it a pretty simple task?