gearbox change

Search this Thread

Old 03 July 2012, 01:21 PM
wozza.t
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gearbox change

hi,
Me and my bruv have been changing my box and clutch over at the weekend and has found that the exedy paddle clutch has knackard my standard skimmed flywheel, there are deep cracks everywhere!!
As im only running a tad over 300bhp i think the paddel clutch was abit to manly and im now going for a exedy pinkbox.
We have enother flywheel which also have some cracks in it around where the clutch plates make contact, but there not as excessive as my old one.
could anyone tell me if this is normal and beings it hasnt been skimmed before whould it be ok to do so or would i just be cold welding the cracks together??
ive seen lightened flywheels for sale would this be a better option? if so what weight would be ideal if any. I have a jdm 94sti with frontmount (its abit lagy) so could do with the reves building up quicker but im also lacking in abit of torque,
and what ive read about the lightened flywheels it seems to be an issue (getting bogged down, hill climbing ect)
could anyone please point me in the right direction as im not sure whether to...
Use the spare flywheel and get it skimmed?
Buy another standard one?
Or buy a lightend one?

thanks woz
Old 04 July 2012, 01:40 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Thumbs up

Hi Woz,

A paddle clutch is inappropriate at that power level. Moving onto a suitable clutch will make the car far nicer to drive.

You could try skimming if the cracking is only on the surface. Ideally you could seize the opportunity to go for an uprated lightweight unit. If you go with the correct and recommended flywheel weight you won't have any issues that you mention. Lightweight forged flywheels are stronger than OEM, last longer, improve the throttle response and acceleration.

We have them available as a package deal:

Aztec Performance Online - Exedy Organic Racing Clutch Kit + Lightweight Forged Flywheel Package deal - Just £484.99

Plenty of ScoobyNetters happily using this exact package

Contact us if you need further guidance.
Old 04 July 2012, 08:21 PM
savage bulldogs
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the info fella I'll let my brv know . i will admit we've already had a few bits of you (discs ,pads ect ) and we both need a pink box but im gonna see what condition my flywheels in before i buy anything else And until woz's scoob is back together iv not got the room to start on mine .

have i brv
Old 05 July 2012, 01:46 AM
Boost luver
Scooby Regular

Iv got the "anti judder" exedy fitted and there is still judder been fitted for 500 miles was told it would bed in but that's not the case a few others did say stay away from this clutch but with the praise it's had on here from certain traders i would not buy another!
And yes it is a genuine exedy pink box kit from a exedy uk supplier any advise on what to do Aztec?
Regards
Old 05 July 2012, 12:28 PM
wozza.t
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Boost luver
Iv got the "anti judder" exedy fitted and there is still judder been fitted for 500 miles was told it would bed in but that's not the case a few others did say stay away from this clutch but with the praise it's had on here from certain traders i would not buy another!
And yes it is a genuine exedy pink box kit from a exedy uk supplier any advise on what to do Aztec?
Regards
hi mate did you get your flywheel skimmed before fitting the clutch?
Old 05 July 2012, 10:35 PM
Boost luver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wozza.t
hi mate did you get your flywheel skimmed before fitting the clutch?
Yes got a exedy flywheel and had it skimmed