Strange noise! Help

Search this Thread

Old 01 July 2012, 07:21 PM
carvolution
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange noise! Help

Hi everyone,

Over the last few days I have been getting a strange noise from the gearbox/cat area.

It sounds like a dragging sort of noise, almost like you don't have it in gear correctly?

I have taken it to my local garage but they did not have the room to get it on the ramps and they took it for a test drive and sods law it did not do it. but as i left they heard the noise and they said it might be that one of the cats is rattling around a bit inside its shell.

So today i have taken off the centre section to see that maybe if it was a cat the noise would be louder with the silencers off, and theres no increase in this noise.

I have recorded a sound clip but where the phone was next to the gearbox area the noise sounds like the big ends are gone so theres no point in uploading it.

The noise is there on idle and up to 1500rpm and only when it wants to appear. and it does not matter if the clutch is up or down.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what it could be, one friend said that it could be a loose spring on the clutch plate?

Car Spec=

2006 2.5 STI Hawkeye, 40,000 miles

thanks in advance