LSD considerations for an auto

Search this Thread

Old 28 June 2012, 02:21 PM
2pot
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts
Default LSD considerations for an auto

Tried on 22b, no response. I know it's an auto, but stick with me.

2.5, 400bhp, auto '95 wagon WRX - open front diff, rear R160 4.11 viscous lsd. Daily driver.
I was considering a plated lsd.
Came across this possibility: "Service & reset viscous lsd max setting £250
If it's laser welded, we would need to machine the cover off and then reweld a lip on to it and
rebuild and then reweld and then test on dyno-£100".

The viscous lsd R160 STI manual, had an optional 11kg/m. Is that a spec I should consider?

The classic wrx, using 4eat auto transmission, had a different awd system to the manual. Would this effect what lsd/pre-load/ramp angles I should use?

Just in case you're unfamiliar, here's the theory, for the phase 1, WRX, pre '97 autos:

"Normally engine power is split 36/64 front/rear, and during acceleration more power is directed to the rear wheels.
Electronically controlled multi-plate clutch pack to adjust the amount of power directed to the rear axle.
The Transmission Control Unit (I've had this chipped, to radically alter the shift points, line pressures) determines the vehicles centre of gravity and traction requirements and continuously varies the power sent to the rear axle. During acceleration, the vehicle centre of gravity moves to the rear, and power is increased to the rear axle. During braking, the vehicle centre of gravity moves to the front, and power is reduced to the rear axle. If front wheel slippage occurs, more power is sent to the rear wheels to compensate. In most cases this system can predict situation where slippage is likely to occur (excluding acceleration) and make the required adjustments before slippage can occur.

This system uses axle speed sensors within the transmission unit itself, not the ABS sensors, the ABS and AWD are two completely independent systems.

WRX classic auto models were equipped with a viscous coupled lsd."

I don't expect specific knowledge, but would the more 'power on, power off' automatic driving style, effect diff set up/type?

Last edited by 2pot; 28 June 2012 at 08:48 PM.