Differential, Broken Driveshaft and Circlips

Search this Thread

Old 14 November 2011, 12:01 PM
nesbo
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Differential, Broken Driveshaft and Circlips

Hello All

Wondering if anyone could advise me on a CirClip question?

After snapping the end of the N/S drive shaft on MY98 Impreza Type-R V-Limited, I set about replacing it with a like-for-like match.

Trying to do the job properly I pull the old CirClips from the diff. I then attached the new circlips to the driveshaft before attempting to put them back in to the diff.

Having struggled for about an hour to get the drive shafts fully inserted into the diff, I did a bit of googling and a forum or two later discovered this link which suggests the clips need to be added to the diff 1st as they will not compress when attached to the driveshaft: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2126342

So armed with this new advice I spend a further 2 hours struggling and swearing to get the circlips into the diff (without the driveshaft). Once in I fully re-inserted the driveshaft’s thinking that the clip would slip over and the shaft and that would be the end of it.

However when I checked to see if it had engaged with the circlip I noticed that I am able to pull them out off the diff (even though the c’clip is in place everything is bolted back where it should be).

Pretty sure it’s the correct clip that I’ve used as they came form Subaru and where identical to the old ones I pulled. Cant see how the drive shaft can go any further in.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Chris
Old 14 November 2011, 12:24 PM
andy-m
Scooby Regular

the clip on the end of the driveshaft splines should NOT be inserted in to the diff by themselves.
put the clip back on the splined end of the driveshaft.

if not already done so, insert the hub end of the driveshaft in to the hub. put the 2 bolts in that hold the bottom of the shock to the top of the hub assembly and do them up.
if not already done so, connect the bar that goes from the bottom of the hub assembly to the front of the wheel well.
Then lift the splined end of the driveshaft up n to position in the diff and push it as far in as it will go. Sit on your ars3 facing the hub, backup, and with both both feet give the hub a whack. you should find the driveshaft has now been fully inserted in to the diff. at least thats how I do it
Old 14 November 2011, 02:28 PM
nesbo
Scooby Newbie

Andy - thanks for your reply.

My mate who works for Landrover said that the way to do it is just how you explained. However when I told him I was having trouble getting the driveshafts in (with the clip on the spline) he came round and produced a sledge hammer. We set about smacking the d-shaft home by striking the the hub-nut with a punch and sledge. The anti-roll-bar and bottom bolt were reattached at this proint. It took a serious pounding and would still not go in. I was worried that I was going to wreck the diff or CV joint so i stopped. Plus the clip will not compress any once on the end of the driveshaft so i can see how it will go in?.

I dont want to go to hard on it and break it but at the same time i dont know if i am being too soft on it.
Old 14 November 2011, 02:30 PM
nesbo
Scooby Newbie

Sorry - I should have said it is te REAR drive shafts that I am talking about here.
Old 14 November 2011, 02:58 PM
andy-m
Scooby Regular

I just changed my diff this weekend so it's fresh in my memory. The clip you are talking about does require some force to get in, if it didnt, your driveshafts would fall out of the diff when you were driving along or at the very least bang about a fair bit !

the clip will compress, it juts needs a bit of force and you have to have it roughly lined up before you bang it home.
When on the shaft, the clip does not stick out all the way round. when you insert the end of the shaft in to the diff up to the clip, it can move a bit and wont be completely straight. thats how the clip compresses when you whack it in.

dont have anything connected to the hub except the shock and the bar that goes from the hub to the front of the wheel arch. the 2 lateral links and roll bar will just work against you if connected so leave them and the bottom bolt out.
make sure you pull your feet back about a foot from the hub so you can give the hub a good hard thump. the 1st time my dad saw me do this he thought I was gonna knock the car off the axle stands so that gives you an idea of how hard you gotta hit it with your feet.
stick the wheels under the sill below the rear door if you are worried the car willl drop off the stands. at least then if it does you can get the trolley jack under the car n get it back up after
Old 14 November 2011, 10:47 PM
nesbo
Scooby Newbie

Andy thanks for your reply. Clearer you know your stuff. I'll get her jacked back up, strip down the bolts and get a couple or 3 weetabix down my neck and have another go.

Thanks for taking the time to write such an informative reply - it's greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Nesbo
Old 15 November 2011, 11:23 AM
andy-m
Scooby Regular

good luck n let us know how you get on please