Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Which Clutch - Again

Search this Thread

Old 29 August 2011, 05:35 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Which Clutch - Again

I'll need a new clutch when I get my car back from the bodyshop and I'm looking at the options. The choices seem to be Exedy Racing Pink, Competition Clutch or these from Eclipse - http://www.eclipse-performance.com/p...&cid=436318062

Anyone suggest which would be the best for a car running approx 350/350.

I'll be fitting a lightened flywheel with it and Eclipse do a deal on theirs for £450 delivered for the clutch and flywheel - just wondering whether the extra £50 or so is worth it to get the Exedy.

Cheers

Jon
Old 29 August 2011, 05:44 PM
-shane-
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally i would pay the extra and get the ap clutch
Old 29 August 2011, 06:38 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

The APs are more than double the price, are they really double the quality...

If was spending that sort of money how do the Alcon clutches rate
Old 29 August 2011, 06:45 PM
-shane-
Scooby Regular

I would say yes as I'm told the excedy pink clutches like to just judder
Old 29 August 2011, 06:47 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

I've heard mixed views on the with people saying they seem to work better on the 5-speed than the 6-speed but someone else saying it still judders on the 5-speed.

Anyone used the Eclipse ones at all
Old 29 August 2011, 07:27 PM
prodrive.greeny
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm in the same boat mate.. clutch slipping - currently got an Exedy pink atm and standard fly..

NOT going back to exedy!

Whats this eclipse job? Seems cheap!!
Old 29 August 2011, 07:29 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

On their website they use an Exedy logo, but when you click through it goes to the link in the first post...

They do the kit on their ebay shop...http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1706259448...9#ht_843wt_905
Old 29 August 2011, 07:34 PM
prodrive.greeny
Scooby Regular

Yeh its a pretty pooey website.. I will need the fly and clutch kit for the 6 speed but can't find a price for the package?
Old 30 August 2011, 08:54 AM
eclipse performance
Former Sponsor

Hi. Our new web site is about to go live so our current one is not up to date. If you give the shop a call on 0191 5655050 the guys will give you all the info you need on the clutches and flywheel packages.
Old 30 August 2011, 11:24 AM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

The Exedy Racing Organic clutches used to suffer a few years ago with juddering. This was raised with them and they then released a solution with a new anti-judder friction plate a couple of years ago.

We've been selling the anti-judder ones since they were released and they have proved very successful and I would opt for one of these over an AP every time. The problem is that most places still sell the old version clutch (which does have a tendency to judder) and there are a number of fakes on the market too.

If you buy from us you can be assured of being supplied with a genuine Exedy UK clutch and the latest anti-judder version.

For 350/350 this package would be ideal: http://www.superhids.co.uk/clutches-...a-5-speed.html

If you need any further assistance, give us a call on 01462 600241
Old 30 August 2011, 11:50 AM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

My question is though Bob, is your Exedy package worth 10% more than the Eclipse Stage 2 kit?

What I am looking for is experience from anyone who has used the Eclipse set-up as I know what to expect from an Exedy package
Old 03 September 2011, 11:05 AM
prodrive.greeny
Scooby Regular

Just ordered an AP unit, fitting on monday so will report back then.
Old 03 September 2011, 08:02 PM
DT-SPD
Scooby Regular

Can anyone recommend a supplier for the AP clutch ?? Might need one soon.
Old 03 September 2011, 08:14 PM
-shane-
Scooby Regular

Get the ap clutch from alyn at as performance you won't regret it, Its still a known fact that the excedy still judders

Do the job once and do it properly also as performance you get brilliant customer service
Old 03 September 2011, 08:19 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Can you cite the evidence that proves the exedy still judders as, whilst some copies and old stock can still suffer, the feedback I have had is that this is not the case. For the driving I do I cannot justify buying a clutch that costs more than a clutch and flywheel package that is sold as being up to the job - if it's not then exedy can sort it out for me.

Agree with the service from Alyn though, got my dBA discs from them
Old 03 September 2011, 11:56 PM
prodrive.greeny
Scooby Regular

Well no point in lightened fly imo after reading through pages of internet write ups.. so instead of the package im just splashing out on the AP.
Old 05 September 2011, 11:33 AM
alex_00s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both my bro and I have got a stage 4 or 5 competion clutch in our cars and they judder terribly!

But the biggest problem is I've had this clutch in for about 2mths max and the pedal sticks when I'm pushing the car... that says to me that the clutch is worn and to be worn after such a short period of time is not good!

I'm not sure what I'm gonna do now, but might be a new clutch... if so I'm in the same boat as you Jon...
Old 05 September 2011, 12:40 PM
-shane-
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JonMc
Can you cite the evidence that proves the exedy still judders as, whilst some copies and old stock can still suffer, the feedback I have had is that this is not the case. For the driving I do I cannot justify buying a clutch that costs more than a clutch and flywheel package that is sold as being up to the job - if it's not then exedy can sort it out for me.

Agree with the service from Alyn though, got my dBA discs from them
A guy who works on my car also a member or here had one of the excedy clutch's it juddered and to top it off also didn't last very long either, Its up to you but i say if you going to do a job do it properly the 1st time, Just get the ap and skim you standard flywheel, Mine feels perfect just like factory clutch

Give Alyn a ring he will tell you alot more, I was the same as you but he made me see the light
Old 05 September 2011, 12:54 PM
alex_00s
Scooby Regular

I just double checked and my clutch is the 1620 Stage 4.

Its really good and handles the power fine... but there's just the issue with the sticky pedal.

As its not slipping could it just be sumin to do with the release barring?

Sorry I'm not tryin to hijack this thread... I'd recommend this clutch, you get used to the judder its not that bad and the price of the lightened flywheel and clutch from competion clutch is very very reasonable!

The clutch was £280 iirc thru a GB
Old 05 September 2011, 01:07 PM
MelTypeR
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Jon, you might wanna ask bob about the organic ACT clutches he supplys (not sure if he still does them? but must be available elsewhere)

I got one from him 2 years ago and its still going strong now. (thats with many full bore standing starts )
Mines rated to 515lb/ft (of course this may be over kill for your current spec, but no harm in future proofing!!) and bought it with a lightened flywheel and it almost feels OEM, the best bit its been judder free from day one.
Although with the lighter flywheel you do have to rev it a bit more when pulling off gently.

It seems to handle the power very well and doesn't seem to be bad in stop start traffic.

Mel

Last edited by MelTypeR; 05 September 2011 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05 September 2011, 07:40 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by -shane-
A guy who works on my car also a member or here had one of the excedy clutch's it juddered and to top it off also didn't last very long either, Its up to you but i say if you going to do a job do it properly the 1st time, Just get the ap and skim you standard flywheel, Mine feels perfect just like factory clutch

Give Alyn a ring he will tell you alot more, I was the same as you but he made me see the light
I now know of 2 people now who had issue with the anti-judder clutch vs too many to count who haven't. My standard clutch judders so it won't be any worse. I appreciate the advice, but for the amount I use the car I could live with it if it did judder a little.

Originally Posted by alex_00s
I just double checked and my clutch is the 1620 Stage 4.

Its really good and handles the power fine... but there's just the issue with the sticky pedal.

As its not slipping could it just be sumin to do with the release barring?

Sorry I'm not tryin to hijack this thread... I'd recommend this clutch, you get used to the judder its not that bad and the price of the lightened flywheel and clutch from competion clutch is very very reasonable!

The clutch was £280 iirc thru a GB
Cheers Alex, I know RickyA had some issues with his competition clutch so I hadn't really considered them.

Originally Posted by MelTypeR
Jon, you might wanna ask bob about the organic ACT clutches he supplys (not sure if he still does them? but must be available elsewhere)

I got one from him 2 years ago and its still going strong now. (thats with many full bore standing starts )
Mines rated to 515lb/ft (of course this may be over kill for your current spec, but no harm in future proofing!!) and bought it with a lightened flywheel and it almost feels OEM, the best bit its been judder free from day one.
Although with the lighter flywheel you do have to rev it a bit more when pulling off gently.

It seems to handle the power very well and doesn't seem to be bad in stop start traffic.

Mel
The Exedy would be enough future proofing on the 5-speed; whilst I have no current plans to go beyond about 350/350 if I was to I would have to consider a stronger gearbox at the same time so, with the obvious choice being a 6-speed, I'd need the 240mm clutch anyway. I'll look them up though and see what the deal is

Only problem now is there appears to be more choice than I started with and not one comment regarding the Eclipse clutch - I think that is a statement in itself
Old 05 September 2011, 07:45 PM
-shane-
Scooby Regular

I now know of 2 people now who had issue with the anti-judder clutch vs too many to count who haven't. My standard clutch judders so it won't be any worse. I appreciate the advice, but for the amount I use the car I could live with it if it did judder a little.

Cheers Alex, I know RickyA had some issues with his competition clutch so I hadn't really considered them.

The Exedy would be enough future proofing on the 5-speed; whilst I have no current plans to go beyond about 350/350 if I was to I would have to consider a stronger gearbox at the same time so, with the obvious choice being a 6-speed, I'd need the 240mm clutch anyway. I'll look them up though and see what the deal is

Only problem now is there appears to be more choice than I started with and not one comment regarding the Eclipse clutch - I think that is a statement in itself
Fair enough mate, If you looking to go for a 6 speed at some point the ap clutch can still be used from the 5 speed
Old 05 September 2011, 07:53 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by -shane-
Fair enough mate, If you looking to go for a 6 speed at some point the ap clutch can still be used from the 5 speed
That's the thing though, I'm not - my plan is to get to 350/350ish and enjoy it, but if something breaks and I need a rebuild I may do a big rebuild rather than standard and then start pushing the boundaries
Old 05 September 2011, 08:03 PM
morpheus1870
Scooby Regular

I have had an ap clutch on my old car, an exedy on my current and an ast on my old evo 6. All are spot on, all drive fairly close to stock. Non cause judder inmo.
Old 05 September 2011, 09:51 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

I've had a look around and the AP and ACT are a similar cost, the exedy and competition clutch are cheaper but the exedy is about £60 cheaper than the CC (but over £100 cheaper if you buy with a flywheel) although you can get a 6-puck paddle style CC for £20 more than an uprated organic.

Time to see what the best deal is I can get on an exedy I think

Thanks everyone for your input
Old 06 September 2011, 07:48 AM
sprigeteer
Scooby Regular

My exedy pink and lightened flywheel are going in today. As with many things in life you tend hear the bad. Also bought from Bob. We'll see if it judders or not.
Old 07 September 2011, 01:03 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Well that's easy enough, just give us a call (01462 600241)

Originally Posted by sprigeteer
My exedy pink and lightened flywheel are going in today. As with many things in life you tend hear the bad. Also bought from Bob. We'll see if it judders or not.
You'll love it. Perfect package, a lightweight flywheel is one of the best £ for £ mods you can do to your car. Careful you don't stall it the first couple of times
Old 07 September 2011, 02:27 PM
-shane-
Scooby Regular

I've had a look around and the AP and ACT are a similar cost, the exedy and competition clutch are cheaper but the exedy is about £60 cheaper than the CC (but over £100 cheaper if you buy with a flywheel) although you can get a 6-puck paddle style CC for £20 more than an uprated organic.

Thanks everyone for your input
Give Mark at Lateral Performance a call

http://lateralperformance.co.uk/sect...llet_flywheels

I wouldn't bother with the lightened flywheel just get your original skimmed
Old 07 September 2011, 03:27 PM
alex_00s
Scooby Regular

Buy a lightened one, skim... whatever you do, just dont put the original flywheel back, it weighs a ton!
Old 07 September 2011, 04:14 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Go for the ACT SB4-XTSS clutch. Pedal feels like OEM to.

Quick Reply: Which Clutch - Again