Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Weirdest gearbox/clutch noise ever!

Search this Thread

Old 08 June 2011, 08:12 PM
the hamster
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weirdest gearbox/clutch noise ever!

I have an Impreza UK2000, Facelift Classic MY00, Manual 116k on the clock, remapped and uprated turbo (298 lb/ft 337bhp), FSH, FMIC etc etc

Heres my problem that i'm hoping you'll say "ah yes thats the blah blah blah"

Ever since i've had the car i've noticed the transmission seems a bit "agricultural" but after talking to a mate with a Legacy was kind of reassured that this is pretty normal.

Sometimes the car drives smooth as silk, hardly any noises/knocks etc, other times you can hear transmission clunks etc. Its getting progressively louder in the car and often when coasting down in gear you can feel it sort of "pulsing", not winding down smoothly.

Recently, i've heard a chattering sort of noise when sat stationery at the lights with the clutch in and felt a twitch or 2 in the clutch pedal, even in neutral but today things have got worse.

Heres what happens, the easiest was to explain it is that if you're going downhill 3 things happen.

1 You're moving downhill with the clutch in, theres a scraping/grinding noise
2 You let the clutch out and use engine braking to slow down - no noise, perfect
3 You apply ANY sort of throttle - starts scraping/grinding again

As you roll to a stop the noise stops and if you pump the clutch pedal when stationery it doesnt make a sound, only when its moving.

The gearbox was repaired by Thwaites in April 2010 (4th/5th gear problem) and had a new clutch and lightened flywheel at the same time, so these have only done about 8000 miles. The diff oil and gear oil are all perfect, golden yellow and the right levels.

The clutch performs ok, doesnt slip even when driven hard but it has jerked quite badly sometimes when disengaging the clutch in 2nd at high revs. Its literally got to the point where you drive the car thinking "that really doesnt sound good" but i'm stumped as to what it can be. I'm off to the Nurburgring in 8 days time and really dont trust it to do 1200 miles with a bunch of petrolheads!

This has only appeared in the last couple of days. At the weekend I had 4 uneven tyres taken off (3 with 4mm, 1 with 7mm on the front) and replaced with new ones and i've also done a cambelt change and service.

If you've got any ideas i'd love to hear them
Old 08 June 2011, 09:01 PM
scottydog137
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like release bearing to me?
Old 08 June 2011, 09:37 PM
the hamster
BANNED

why would it make a noise when the clutch is pressed in tho? and not make a noise when sat still?
Old 08 June 2011, 10:04 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by the hamster
why would it make a noise when the clutch is pressed in tho? and not make a noise when sat still?
a failing bearing wont cope with high revs , so at tickover will probably be ok engaged , however at higher revs different ball game , it may stick and judder as it struggles to cope with the rpm
Old 08 June 2011, 11:28 PM
scottydog137
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by madscoob
a failing bearing wont cope with high revs , so at tickover will probably be ok engaged , however at higher revs different ball game , it may stick and judder as it struggles to cope with the rpm
What he said!!

When the rev's are high the bearing is spinning at a faster speed,

Also being a turbo i believe they are a "pull clutch" which also increases the presures on the bearings

Last edited by scottydog137; 08 June 2011 at 11:32 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08 June 2011, 11:34 PM
the hamster
BANNED

the revs dont have to be high, if im doing 1500rpm in 4th gear going down hill at 30mph its still making a noise. It makes the same noise no matter what the revs/engine speed, but as you slow down the grinding gets slower.

Thats why I dont think its clutch related, more of a "drive" related problem. Going to try and get it looked at tomorrow so I have a better idea of what i'm dealing with.
Old 09 June 2011, 03:41 PM
the hamster
BANNED

Had it checked in Melton today and its the centre diff bearings.

If anyone has a centre diff for a TY754VN1aa gearbox please let me know asap as i'm trying to source one this weekend before my Nurburgring trip.

Cheers, Stu 07784607622