Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

uprated 5 speed or 6 speed

Search this Thread

Old 20 May 2011, 11:36 AM
scooby31080
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default uprated 5 speed or 6 speed

whats the concenus on whether to upgrate the existing 5 speed gearbox with stronger components ar just go for 6 speed , I want a box strong enough for drag strip use, running at 450+ , and i know ppg do a gear set but who else provides gear sets for 5 speed. I appreciate that it would be cheaper to go 6 speed , but i want what is best for long term ,
Old 20 May 2011, 01:19 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

6 speed no question!

PPG's break and consistently have there guarantee threshold reduced.

You may want to look at the Albins kit that Scoobyclinic are offering. I too am considering one of these but I'm reserving judgement and seeing how they fair at SSO this weekend.

For a tried tested and proven solution it has to be a six speed. Mine coped with 600bhp 585ftlbs without issue and the only reason I parted with it was A to raise some funds for a house move and B I want something slightly longer geared. That said I still managed a 10 sec run with it.

So in short, unless the albins kit proves itself then a six speed is the only real option!!
Old 20 May 2011, 01:26 PM
Darc174
Scooby Regular

6 speed defo
Old 20 May 2011, 01:31 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

problem with six speed is the ratios, also its not as clear cut as daz makes it out to be, 6 speeds have failed as well and there doesn't seem to be a concensus from those who use lots of them rather than just the odd one, unless thing shave canged recently.

why waiting to see daz? clinic gearsets have been around for a long old time now.
Old 20 May 2011, 03:31 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Why is it you're always the one tidgy lol

It is clear cut. Ppg boxes break so much so that their rating has been reduced from 600+bhp down to 450.

Look at the number of people that have gone from ppg to six speeds!!!

The Scooby clinics haven't been about for ages though. I'm seriously considering one if these but there is way to much confusion about what's what with them. First we hear the elite kit is the business and then from out of nowhere albins turns up elite disappears and me as a very potential purchaser has no fecking idea what's what.

They are more costly than a six speed and thus far not proven enough for me to risk that investment. So yes I'll wait to see what happens this weekend. I'll be having a very close look asi want a box that will cope with 650bhp
600ftlbs and will be capable of low 10's. The only boxes I know that consistently do that at the moment are six speeds. Madhammers car is a fabulous example of why at the moment a six speed is the best option and will continue to be unless a five speed kit proves otherwise.
Old 20 May 2011, 04:48 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dazdavies
Why is it you're always the one tidgy lol

It is clear cut. Ppg boxes break so much so that their rating has been reduced from 600+bhp down to 450.

Look at the number of people that have gone from ppg to six speeds!!!

The Scooby clinics haven't been about for ages though. I'm seriously considering one if these but there is way to much confusion about what's what with them. First we hear the elite kit is the business and then from out of nowhere albins turns up elite disappears and me as a very potential purchaser has no fecking idea what's what.

They are more costly than a six speed and thus far not proven enough for me to risk that investment. So yes I'll wait to see what happens this weekend. I'll be having a very close look asi want a box that will cope with 650bhp
600ftlbs and will be capable of low 10's. The only boxes I know that consistently do that at the moment are six speeds. Madhammers car is a fabulous example of why at the moment a six speed is the best option and will continue to be unless a five speed kit proves otherwise.
6 speeds do break as well, plus theres a week link in them, i cant remember exactly what component it is, might be the syncro's but i cant remember, shall speak to those in the know and get back to you.

as far as the clinics gear kit, sure you said exactly that before and kev responded that they were still doing both, but the later one is quieter. I think mikeys been using it for a while know, although sure he can correct me if not.

as far as ratio's its down to personal choice, power rating and application as as it always is. saying one fits all just isnt true.
Old 20 May 2011, 06:14 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

You're being argumentative for the sake of it. I also love the fact that my enquiries to Kev get discussed with all and sundry.

Bottom line is six speeds are proven to be the strongest option for the Subaru. Yes they break but far less have than five speeds. They are also only doing synchros unlike the 5 speeds that strip the teeth on the gears.

Also don't try and pull the wool over peoples eyes we know mikee has had problems with the kit he's using. Whether that's the kit or on oem part is Anyones guess. There's slot of smoke and mirrors and until I can sort in my own mind what is fact and what is sales blurb then the six speed remains the only proven option to go for.
Old 20 May 2011, 07:28 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

You're being argumentative for the sake of it. I also love the fact that my enquiries to Kev get discussed with all and sundry.

Bottom line is six speeds are proven to be the strongest option for the Subaru. Yes they break but far less have than five speeds. They are also only doing synchros unlike the 5 speeds that strip the teeth on the gears.

Also don't try and pull the wool over peoples eyes we know mikee has had problems with the kit he's using. Whether that's the kit or on oem part is Anyones guess. There's slot of smoke and mirrors and until I can sort in my own mind what is fact and what is sales blurb then the six speed remains the only proven option to go for.
i havn;t seen mikee in about a month or so chap so havn't caught up with him, he say what the issue was?
Old 20 May 2011, 07:48 PM
Fai17
Scooby Regular

I'd stick with the 6sp unless you can get a quicker time with a proven 5sp then i ain't making any changes soon.
Old 20 May 2011, 09:03 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
i havn;t seen mikee in about a month or so chap so havn't caught up with him, he say what the issue was?

To be fair it's all third party rumour mill stuff which is why I want to see the facts for myself.

I'll be watching closely at SSO and the coming months. I'd absolutely love to be proven wrong and would love to see the albins kit do 9 second run after 9 second run without issue. I did 30 or so 1/4 mile runs with my 6 speed the last few were in the 10's and that had no faults whatsoever.

However like you, I think the 5 speed ratios and the weight saving are substantial benefits IF and at the moment its a big if the 5 speed kits prove strong enough. Time will tell!!
Old 21 May 2011, 08:53 AM
scooby31080
Scooby Regular

To be fair it's all third party rumour mill stuff which is why I want to see the facts for myself.

I'll be watching closely at SSO and the coming months. I'd absolutely love to be proven wrong and would love to see the albins kit do 9 second run after 9 second run without issue. I did 30 or so 1/4 mile runs with my 6 speed the last few were in the 10's and that had no faults whatsoever.

However like you, I think the 5 speed ratios and the weight saving are substantial benefits IF and at the moment its a big if the 5 speed kits prove strong enough. Time will tell!!
Daz
Am i to have significant difference and feel for gear ratios with a 6 speed , i have been running 5 speed now in my last 3 imprezas , but this time with a big power build in the current car then i want a solid solution , that will fit both road and track use , are the ratios shorter , or longer. I have driven 6 speed in a hawkeye sti and to be honest it just did not feel the car like the classic does it felt too smooth and not as sharp , but maybe this is just the classic feel , have you noticed major differences with running a 6 speed and the ratio differences.
the scoobyclinic kits are they their own manufactured brand ?
Old 21 May 2011, 10:35 AM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

You will notice the difference yes. The six speed ratios are alot shorter. They are more akin to the type R box. The only thing I dont like about the six speeds is the gap between 4th and 5th on early UK six speeds. It seems massive in comparison to the rest.

With reference to the Hawkeye drive you had it will be deceptive. I remeber driving a WR1 and comparing it to my 280bhp classic at the time. The WR1 felt slower when I drove it but side by side it was the quicker car. Smoothness is deceptive and I think the differences you experienced are the classic's rawness and the Hawkeye's refinement.

Personally I love the six speed boxes but there are gains to be had on the 1/4 due to ratios and weight saving.

I've yet to drive a big power classic with a hawkeye 6 speed but that's pretty much the best solution out there at the moment and the one to aim for.
Old 21 May 2011, 05:28 PM
sammyb
Scooby Regular

Buy my STi9 6spd with PPG selector forks
Old 21 May 2011, 09:20 PM
Ciaran
Scooby Regular

I like Daz am also looking for a 600/600 reliable box. I have only ever driven a V7 sti and the box was awful and I could see it being very easy to bozz the engine!!
I am hoping to hear good things about the Albins kit as I like the way the standard 5 speed feels.
I have a straight cut PPG box fitted to my current car and would reccomend it bar the fact it eats 3rd gear synchros. It has only been tested to 400/400ish and was only fitted after I broke a V6 sti box box.