Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Unichip - advice please

Search this Thread

Old 19 April 2002, 04:24 PM
Nezz10
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry mods, did not get much response in drivetrain,

I am going down to Powerstation next wednesday to get my scooby lowered and they told me about the unichip ecu piggyback that they do.

Has anyone got this on their car?
How do you feel about it?
How much BHP and torque gain is normal?
What about reliability?
How does it compare to other piggyback and replacement ECU's?
Who mapped it? (person not company)

Any other info/comments welcomed.

Neil. - MY00, full scoobysport decat with downpipe and itg air filter.
Old 19 April 2002, 06:33 PM
cunningstunt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good shout. i would also like to know as i am also thinking of unichip after mods.
Old 19 April 2002, 06:50 PM
skiddusmarkus
Scooby Regular

Friend of mine had his done but it ran too much boost and popped within 2 weeks-not saying the unichip caused tgis,I'm interested in them myself.A new tuner has started mapping them-John Noble motorsport(Chesterfield).I've had one persons opinion on their mapping and would like to hear some others.
Old 19 April 2002, 07:08 PM
5 Type R
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

The Unichip was the best VFM modication I have done to a car in ten years of dabbling.

Have a look at my website as it highlights details of how it worked on my MR2 Turbo.

www.vuvz.co.uk

Cheers
Old 19 April 2002, 07:41 PM
dohnutter
Scooby Newbie

Powerstation put a Unichip on my Clio 16v and it kept breaking down so i had to take it off.
Old 19 April 2002, 09:12 PM
Richie1
Scooby Regular

Have one on my car but has yet to be fully mapped to the new mods and the boost done as well so cant really comment on how great it is.

I can, however comment on its uses and flexibility.

Once setup (mid June) the unichip I have will also take over boost control using its own dedicated boost module. It will also include a fully 3D mapped water injection system (mapped to RPM v engine boost) using the Aquamist System 2C

The flexibility dont stop there - the Unichip and water injection module will monitor for the water tank to run empty using the float switch. When this happens, the unchip switches off the water injection and then reverts to a more retarded timing map to prevent engine knocking.

By retarding the map (and not just using the built in knock sensor to do it all) this allows the full retard/advance settings to still be used by the ECU to prevent knocking. If it wasnt there then the ECU would retard as much as poss but it may not be enough to stop knocking and its then reached its limit.

Once the system is back up e.g. I fill it with water, the unichip switches it back on and then advances the timing again to the safe limit that water injection allows

There is also a manual switch on the dash for me to manually turn the Water Injection off and the UniChip switches maps automatically back and forward.

Unfortunaetly it will NOT lower the boost to run small boost when no water injection present BUT this is because I have the old version. The new Unichip (due soon) will be able to hold 2 complete maps including boost so that this can be cut back if you want e.g. a switch to choose high power and low power as an example.

Dont stop there either.... you can add upto 4 extra fuel injectors, automatic intercooler water spray etc etc etc.

To give you an idea -

The setup I have will remove the rather restrictive standard ECU and turn it into a fully mapped system with precise 3D mapped fuelling and ignition specific to MY SPECIFIC CAR (standard unichip function) as well as full boost control and 3D mapped water injection.

If you want any info then speak to the UK Distributor. His name is Gerry and he is a sound bloke that has done EXTREMELY good by me -

Storm Engineering - 0845 345 4045

I'll let you know how I go in June

Old 19 April 2002, 10:21 PM
andrew h
Scooby Regular

My P1 was the first impreza mapped by John Noble's. I can say that I am very pleased with the re
Andysults
Old 19 April 2002, 11:17 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Richie 1 no offence mate but all the great things you talk of are things that are GOING to be done not actually done/proved.I tried the Unichip on my STi4 and it was crap.It would'nt hold boost then would overboost,it also made my engine detonate like mad which could have easily ended up in its destruction.After it was installed it managed to DROP the power by 20 BHP!! Changed it for a Link and have never looked back and the car eats most so called Supercars for breakfast.If you really want to know how good the Unichip is then wait and see how many people post here saying it has been a good ivestment(also take into account how many people have had it done over the last 3 years or so).Also look at the dyno pages and see how many Unichiped cars are there putting out decent BHP safely.Sorry to burst your bubble Rich but there are far more effective ways of spending your money.
Old 20 April 2002, 12:24 AM
simes
Scooby Regular

Talking

As you've got a MY00 why don't you have a look at www.ecutek.co.uk which is a remap of the standard ecu. Like the unichip you retain the oem cold start maps etc but no piggy back board spliced into the wiring. If you look around in drivetrain the results seem to be very promising.

You will probably find on an MY00 that even option 1 gives good results. I gave a member of this board my old MY99 ECU for his MY00 and I think he was pleased with the results (Hi Floyd).

I really do think this a better option for this model of Impreza.

Cheers

Simon
Old 20 April 2002, 06:34 AM
Nezz10
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been considering the TEK1 and TEK2 but getting the TEK2 means driving halfway across the country because they will not send it by mail order yet. I may just have to settle to TEK1 until I have the time to go down to ECUTEK.

Old 20 April 2002, 07:23 AM
PSI3
Scooby Regular

Wink

Nezz, it may be worth talking to Matt Churchill, he also has a MY00 with full ScoobySport and has just had the EcuTek fitted by PE and so far is very pleased (plus he lives in Quedgley) if he does'nt see this thread mail me and i can put you in touch with him.
http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?threadid=88209
simon

[Edited by PCB - 4/20/2002 7:25:40 AM]
Old 20 April 2002, 08:35 AM
loscooby
Scooby Regular

Hi !

I have had the APS Club Spec kit fitted to my MY00.
The result was a torque of 360Nm and 285 HP, the car is transformed...
Anyway, this kit is based on Unichip with boost control.

//L-O
Old 20 April 2002, 01:09 PM
skiddusmarkus
Scooby Regular

Andrew h-thanks,I'm going to pop down now and have a chat.
Old 20 April 2002, 01:27 PM
simes
Scooby Regular

Question

I thought the TEK2 is now freely available - it is the TEK3 that needs mapping at P/E?

Cheers

Simon
Old 20 April 2002, 02:14 PM
skiddusmarkus
Scooby Regular

Just got back from Noble's-there's about a month waiting list and in that time they are having aircon fitted to the RR room,which should be better for mapping as with louder cars they have had to close the shutter door because it's in a residential area-I would think this would lead to them not getting the true potential from whatever boost you're running because of the higher temps.The lady in reception says it gets very hot-she also has got a very good idea of what you're talking about.