Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

'TEK 1 versus AE801

Search this Thread

Old 19 April 2002, 11:11 AM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

I was toying with the idea of getting the EcuTek 1 ECU replacement done when work conspired against me and sent me out of the country for a month. I have managed, however, to get my hands on an AE801 which has, in my opinion, utterly transformed my MY00.

Question is then, what does the Tek 1 map have over the AE801 one? I'd heard there was something about a lean spot in the 801 map that had been removed in Tek1? Is it worth getting the Tek1 now I have the 801 or should I just continue saving for the Tek2?

[Edited by SimonH - 4/19/2002 11:14:58 AM]
Old 19 April 2002, 11:22 AM
nom
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd say it's probably marginal enough to not bother & just save for the Tek2. Big difference
Old 19 April 2002, 01:42 PM
Lambo
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi, I tried a Tek1 against my AE801 ecu on the rollers and there was a small improvement, but as nom says, not enough to make it worth while changing. If I was you I'd go for a Dawes ( about 100 quid with a boost gauge and AFR meter), this gives a BIG improvement, and its fairly safe, then if you still want bit more, get a Tek2.

Lambo
Old 19 April 2002, 01:48 PM
PING
Scooby Regular

TEK1 is good ... it does have slightly more power than 801 and will be smoother as ECUTEK worked hard to improve the fuelling

However having moved from TEK 1 to TEK2 recently I would say - Save for the TEK2 ... extra boost, more low down torque and very progressive acceleration ... It's worth every penny!

Edited to say that Lambo's comment is spot on ... I had the Dawes with TEK1 and it was super, just TEK2 is better overall. Dawes will give a real sense of very quick pick up which the TEK1 on its own won't and to be fair neither does the TEK2 it's too progrssive!

Steve

[Edited by PING - 4/19/2002 1:55:19 PM]
Old 19 April 2002, 01:58 PM
Lambo
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Has anyone with a Tek2 tried an MOT emissions test ?
Subaru leaned the mix at low revs to get the car through emissions, so by bringing the fueling back up to its 'proper' level may now mean it fails.
Old 19 April 2002, 02:28 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

My guess would be it's fine, as PE where it's set up have all the kit for checking these things & Steve Done has gone to the expense of having a 'performance cat' with his. He's unlikely to then ignore it!
Still, that is just my guesswork...
Old 19 April 2002, 05:58 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

nom,

but what fueling will pass an MOT is usually not the best fueling for good running. I would imagine that PE have mapped the ECU for best running and not MOT passing, but I might be wrong. You could mail Stephen or Dave @ EcuTek and see what they say.....

BTW, are we talking about the huge lean spot between 700rpm and 1600rpm on WOT, or something else? (as I can't see a lean spot at idle in this area???)

Matt
Old 19 April 2002, 06:14 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

No idea which 'weak spot' is being looked at here either . It just seemed likely that, as Steve is the 'force behind the Tek' & he is obviously a bit more of a emissions-friendly type than the rest of us () that it would probably still be kept MOT-happy.
For the cat to work at it's best, the mixture can't be 'optimum' energy output (AFAIK - a reason why there was a lot of opposition to the cat being brought in was because it reduced engine efficiency), but for it to work 'enough' is a different matter

Just thought about it a bit more - isn't it a part of the emissions test that if the 'low idle' fails, there's a 'fast idle' one that can be done - at about 2500rpm? Just a vague recollection I have...

[Edited by nom - 4/19/2002 6:16:52 PM]
Old 22 April 2002, 04:15 PM
StephenDone
Scooby Regular

Hi Guys,

My car passed its MOT emissions test with no problems.
At low loads (including during the emissions test) the car runs closed loop lambda, so the car achieves a perfect mixture anyway. Assuming your sensor are all working that is ! Yes, the OEM fuel map is lean at low revs, and will be richened up by the closed loop lambda, so it makes no odds. We richen it up, and get better turbo spool up when the ECU goes open loop lambda on higher engine loads.

You can watch it with DeltaDash or a select monitor. The ecus have a parameter called AFC - air fuel correction. It is how much fuel is added or subtracted from the value in the map, in order to produce the correct mixture. When the control goes open loop (map lookup only), AFC goes to zero.

Remember that if you have a sports cat that is in the centre section rather than the downpipe, that the car must be warm in order to pass easily. Cats must be hot to work, and the further away they are from the engine, the bigger the spank you must give the car before pulling into the test centre !

Steve