Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

wheel bearing hawkeye????

Search this Thread

Old 27 April 2011, 09:59 PM
scoobygirl30
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheel bearing hawkeye????

has anyone heard before that the start start of a wheel bearing fault can cause scoring the brake discs and putting an uneven surface on the brake pad fasure????

I had a ticking noise like a stone in the tyre which was noticable on a right hand bend when you applied the brake pedal the noise went. I took it to my local tyre garage as they had only fitted new tyres the week before to check the tyre weights werent catching after describing the fault they took the brake pads out for me cleaned calipers and adjusted the bracket thing that holds them in place on inspection of the pads i noticed that the pad surface was uneven like it had a ridge all the way through the pad, and the disc has 1 score mark all the way round. After this was done the noise has gone away but i have been advised by someone else that this fault sounded like a wheel bearing at its 1st stages of failing and if i ignore it will potenially knacker my brake pads and discs which are only 1000 miles old. There is no play in the wheel. need advise of what to do as i dont want to chuck another 400 quid on doing a wheel bearing if it was just a pad fitting fault. On the other hand i dont want to ignore it and potenially **** my brakes has anyone else experienced this prob...
Old 27 April 2011, 10:19 PM
jsfb
Scooby Regular

The way these wheel bearings are designed you wont be able to see any visible movement by the traditional moving the wheel by hand until it is ready to fall off. The early signs would be a droning noise at a constant speed some times drowed out by road/tyre noise.
Old 27 April 2011, 10:36 PM
scoobygirl30
Scooby Newbie

thats what i'd always associated with wheel bearings with a droaning noise but a subaru expert has advised me otherwise which i cant discredit but ive never heard of a wheel bearing knackering your brakes up!!!! its going to be difficult to diagnose without spending a fortune..
Old 27 April 2011, 11:42 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Wheel bearing is as jsfb points out, a whirring sound, not a ticking. Having had two go on my car its certainly not confusable with road noise - I was easily able to tell there was a problem - sounded like the wheel needed oiling .
Ticking is typically a stone in the Tyre or can be your brake disc guard might be bent and rubbing slightly against the disc.
Old 27 April 2011, 11:43 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

P.s its £200 per wheel at my local dealer. Certainly NOT £400. You shouldn't need both sides doing I don't think.
Old 05 May 2011, 09:36 PM
scottydog137
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by scoobygirl30
has anyone heard before that the start start of a wheel bearing fault can cause scoring the brake discs and putting an uneven surface on the brake pad fasure????

I had a ticking noise like a stone in the tyre which was noticable on a right hand bend when you applied the brake pedal the noise went. I took it to my local tyre garage as they had only fitted new tyres the week before to check the tyre weights werent catching after describing the fault they took the brake pads out for me cleaned calipers and adjusted the bracket thing that holds them in place on inspection of the pads i noticed that the pad surface was uneven like it had a ridge all the way through the pad, and the disc has 1 score mark all the way round. After this was done the noise has gone away but i have been advised by someone else that this fault sounded like a wheel bearing at its 1st stages of failing and if i ignore it will potenially knacker my brake pads and discs which are only 1000 miles old. There is no play in the wheel. need advise of what to do as i dont want to chuck another 400 quid on doing a wheel bearing if it was just a pad fitting fault. On the other hand i dont want to ignore it and potenially **** my brakes has anyone else experienced this prob...
Ive had similar problems with two scoobs recently, one being a wheel bearing and one being a seized caliper!!

The only way (I have found) to properly check the wheel bearings is to jack it up remove the wheel and caliper complete and refit the wheel and give it the shake test

Also i have just finished sorting mine out for the same problem due to being a seized caliper on the O\S\F depends wethther you have 2-pot or 4-pot caliper as the 4-pots dont work on sliders!!
Old 06 May 2011, 02:22 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by scottydog137
Ive had similar problems with two scoobs recently, one being a wheel bearing and one being a seized caliper!!

The only way (I have found) to properly check the wheel bearings is to jack it up remove the wheel and caliper complete and refit the wheel and give it the shake test

Also i have just finished sorting mine out for the same problem due to being a seized caliper on the O\S\F depends wethther you have 2-pot or 4-pot caliper as the 4-pots dont work on sliders!!
Surely no way a Hawkeye caliper should have seized yet - it would only be 5 years old!
Having read this again, sounds more like you had a small object possibly a stone trapped between the pad and the disc, which would have explained the scoring.

If the noise has gone you don't need to worry about the bearing - a wheel bearing noise would remain constant even if you cleaned the calipers and re-greased them.
And unless the wheel is literally wobbling all over the place it won't knacker your discs and pads; I drove mine for about a week before I could get it to the dealer and have it fixed (I asked them if it was safe to do so), and there was no damage to the discs or pads.
Think whoever told you that was a scaremonger. The only danger is ignoring noises like that when they continue!
Old 06 May 2011, 10:47 PM
scottydog137
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bugeye_Scoob
Surely no way a Hawkeye caliper should have seized yet - it would only be 5 years old!
Having read this again, sounds more like you had a small object possibly a stone trapped between the pad and the disc, which would have explained the scoring.

If the noise has gone you don't need to worry about the bearing - a wheel bearing noise would remain constant even if you cleaned the calipers and re-greased them.
And unless the wheel is literally wobbling all over the place it won't knacker your discs and pads; I drove mine for about a week before I could get it to the dealer and have it fixed (I asked them if it was safe to do so), and there was no damage to the discs or pads.
Think whoever told you that was a scaremonger. The only danger is ignoring noises like that when they continue!
5 years is plenty of time for seizure to set in!!!

However re-reading the posts correctly it sounds like the brake pad anti-squeal clips were dis-lodged causing the scoring on the pads\discs or a stone lodged in the pad\caliper. If the noise has now gone that it is almost definately not a wheel bearing as it would continue.

Thanxs bugeye scoob for re-educating me!!!

Some photos would really help!!

Last edited by scottydog137; 06 May 2011 at 10:49 PM.
Old 07 May 2011, 07:15 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by scottydog137
5 years is plenty of time for seizure to set in!!!

However re-reading the posts correctly it sounds like the brake pad anti-squeal clips were dis-lodged causing the scoring on the pads\discs or a stone lodged in the pad\caliper. If the noise has now gone that it is almost definately not a wheel bearing as it would continue.

Thanxs bugeye scoob for re-educating me!!!

Some photos would really help!!

5 years ain't all that long dude - my car's 10 years old and no seizure - maybe if it'd been parked for a significant length of time though....

Most likely candidate is a stone between pad and disc. The brake shims you're talking about sit behind the pads dude, not in front so it would be nigh on impossible for them to have been dislodged and have causes the damage.
They sit very tightly in there trust me!
Old 10 May 2011, 05:40 PM
hawkeyescoob
Scooby Regular

I have a weird noise at rear of the car but struggling to pin point as exhaust is quite loud - any other way I can check if its the wheel bearing if the usual wheel shake test doesnt do it
Old 10 May 2011, 07:59 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by hawkeyescoob
I have a weird noise at rear of the car but struggling to pin point as exhaust is quite loud - any other way I can check if its the wheel bearing if the usual wheel shake test doesnt do it
Got a bung for the exhaust?
If not, I'm not sure how audible the noise will be outside of the car - if it's real loud you could try getting a passenger to hand out the back window and listen?
In my experience, having had both front bearings replaced in the past, it's a very distinctive noise and it's either definitely there or not.

If it's only very very faint I'd suggest it might be something else.
Don't forget, you could have a sticking caliper, a stone trapped, brake disc guard rubbing (I've had that once)....process of elimination I'm afraid