Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Scoobysport downpipe

Search this Thread

Old 16 April 2002, 11:11 AM
Kempo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

WOW! Says it all - had this fitted on friday by the guys and it is awesome. I cann't believe the noise of the turbo now (UK95). It was always quite whistley before but now you hear the turbo doing evrything, spinning up, spinning down, chattering on full boost and all from 2000 rpm.

There is a noticeable decrease in turbo lag, by as much as 500 - 750 rpm and it goes all the way to the redline in a frenzy of noise. It has made the Magnex backbox deeper sounding and really hard edged under full throttle.

I now leave the stereo in the house!
Old 17 April 2002, 06:12 PM
PING
Scooby Regular

Kempo,

So the DP has got your turbo spooling quicker and earlier then ...

Changing your DP, has this added a lot of noise or is it that you can now hear what's going on?

Steve
Old 17 April 2002, 06:37 PM
Kempo
Scooby Regular

Smile

Steve

It's not made it too loud at all, but definitely a case of you hear what's going on. Before, I could only hear the turbo spin up with the windows open or in particular in 5th down the motorway.

Now, you hear the turbo as soon as you are on the throttle. It's a great sound, I'm finding it seriously addictive

Great mod!
Old 17 April 2002, 06:54 PM
PING
Scooby Regular

Kempo,

Cheers

so 10 percent noisier, or is it not quantifiable like that?

Funny thing noise. I've always wanted something quiet, but as I'm doing little bits & pieces to the car, I'm enjoying hearing the differences ... I can understand the addiction!

Steve
Old 17 April 2002, 09:28 PM
BugEyed
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi

The de-cat downpipe will give you more noise for two reasons;
  • The removal of the cat removes its effect as a restriction (and hence silencer) in the exhaust. You'll probably have noticed this when removing the 2nd cat (or 3rd cat in the MY01+) in your car if you didn't change it as the same time as the backbox.
  • The stainless steel construction of these means that they are bound to be noisier - stainless steel suffers from worse NVH properties than conventional steel. In crude terms it "rings". This means that it tends to acentuate any mechanical noises, such as those from the turbo and wastegate (yeah, OK, they are one unit, but you know what I mean). You can reduce this noise by lagging the downpipe if you wish. On my car I gained a noise reduction as it stopped by heatshields vibrating!
Hope this helps.

Duncan
Old 17 April 2002, 11:42 PM
PING
Scooby Regular

Duncan,

Thanks very much ... That all makes sense
How would you go about lagging a DP?

Steve
Old 18 April 2002, 08:31 AM
BugEyed
Scooby Regular

You can buy exhaust wrap from most suppliers - try Demon Tweeks.

However, it is easier if you wrap the downpipe before you fit it , but it can be done in situ. Just allow for the normal scratched knuckles etc.

Duncan
Old 18 April 2002, 09:57 AM
Kempo
Scooby Regular

Duncan

Do you know if it's necessary to lag the downpipe, or what the benefits are. I appreciate that the heat sheilds are there to, well, sheild the heat - my new downpipe is now "naked".

On my MY95 model, there is a heat exchanger that is vented from the bonnet scoop and takes air down to the turbo / downpipe. I know later models don't have this as the intercooler is mounted square and is slightly larger (the width of the scoop?).
Hopefully this will prevent any problems of increased temperature under the bonnet. It has actually made it quieter in some respects for me as the heat sheilds were cracked and recommended for replacement at last service - they are now gone

Offset the cost of those (£40 - 60) against the cost of DP and it wasn't too expensive.

Steve, down the motorway, maybe a 10 - 15% increase in noise at varying speeds - round town, no noticeable increase at all (apart from turbo whistle ) and under acceleration

My other half didn't think it was much louder, more a change in sound rather than huge increase in volume

Paul
Old 18 April 2002, 10:20 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation

Downpipes are a good performance enhancer, picking up from as low as 1500rpm and letting the car rev beautifully to the red line
Unlike most people who do actually go for the scoobysport d/p i had a change of mind and opted for a twin dump 3inch d/p ie Scoobymania all i can say is that its not as intrusive in the cabin as some downpipes and that the sound from the outside is great
Trouble is nowerdays is that there are so many good downpipes out there for our cars, and in the end its personal opinions but if i was to purchase another then id go back to Scoobymania as the improvement low down is quite noticable with the PPP ive got fitted

Tony
Old 18 April 2002, 11:53 AM
BugEyed
Scooby Regular

Cool

Kempo

The intercooler doesn't fully occupy the scoop on my car (an MY01). Like yours there is a "bypass" that channels air down to the turbo. I'm not sure whether this is as much to cool the turbo with the car moving or to allow hot air out with the car static. I do know that the vents on the Cossie are for the latter purpose, and when Ford tried to delete them on the Sapphire it create teriffic problems with underbody heat and paint damage.

My guess is that the heat shields are present to stop heat damaging the body / paint and prevent the heat getting into the engine compartment. Removing them will therefore potentially cause problems, but I don't know of any reported cases. I suggested the exhaust wrap more on the basis of cutting noise although it will also reduce heat. Our American cousins are keen on keeping exhaust gas temps up to improve gas flow, but I'm not convinced by the theory. I've yet to see an F1 or similar car with wrapped exhaust except where there are underbody heat problems.

Duncan
Old 18 April 2002, 12:23 PM
Sideways
Scooby Regular

Kempo, I have a Scoobysport downpipe too and they're lovely. The noise I agree is very addictive. However it really should have the OE heat shield modded and refitted as no shield at all can cause the steering rack to dry out.
There was a lenghy discussion thread on here but I can't seem to find it at the mo.

Cheers Jay.
Old 18 April 2002, 02:19 PM
PING
Scooby Regular

Tonyburns,
''Picking up from as low as 1500rpm''!
Mine currently (MY00 with TEK2) picks up from 2,000 with a standard twin peashooter exhaust ... will a change in DP really make that much difference?!:
''Twin Dump'' - any idea what advantages this has over any other design?

Kempo,
10-15% extra noise on the Mway sounds reasonable, especially if the missus didn't mind!
Am I right in thinking you HAD to remove your heatshield to add the DP ?

Duncan,
Thanks for the wrapping info.

Steve

[Edited by PING - 4/18/2002 2:42:22 PM]