Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Gearbox/Diff Failure? help please!!

Search this Thread

Old 02 January 2011, 04:29 PM
AndyStiWagon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Gearbox/Diff Failure? help please!!

Evening all, new to the site and new scooby owner.

Well i bought it knowing it had a box/diff fault, was whining like hell and crunching in most the gears.

The car i got is a 1994 WRX wagon import 2.0 turbo

Got it all insured etc, been plodding about in it as it normal, went town, put some 99momentum in it, and give it a few beans and seemed fine apart from some extreme whining downshifting!!
Approaching a junction, and BOOOM!!

Lost all drive, got it recovered home and seems some nasty, smelly grey diff/g.box oil leaking?

Earlier i went out started it, put in gear and tries to move, but then goes bang again and ceases to move again. Am i right in thinking the clutch is ok, as is the gearbox allowing me to engage gears etc and it is the diff thats wrecked?

Some info would be greatly appreiciated as i dont want to go out and buy bits unnecessarily as they not cheap!!1

Thanks ppl Andy
Old 02 January 2011, 04:37 PM
AndyStiWagon
Scooby Regular

people?
Old 02 January 2011, 05:20 PM
mbayley77
Scooby Regular

do you have drive in any gear at all? including reverse?
If there is drive in certain gears and not others suggests to me that it is a gearbox fault. if nothing could be either.
Im no expert but just made sense in my little mind I await to be shot down
Old 02 January 2011, 05:36 PM
AndyStiWagon
Scooby Regular

no drive in any gear, starts to drive as soon as u release clutch,........................................... ..bang no drive?
Old 03 January 2011, 04:51 PM
GetaScoobyFix
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyStiWagon
no drive in any gear, starts to drive as soon as u release clutch,........................................... ..bang no drive?
i had a 752vb3fa box in a my95wrx import, which acording to the tranny chart has the same ratios and final drive as is in the 752vb3ca,

my box wasnt wining and it locked up on me changing from 2nd to 3rd and almost stopped me dead in my tracks,

when i tryed to move off it moved but there was a very loud clunking noise and very stiff gear change,

when i removed the box you could see where the front diff had damaged the casing ie: a crack where the diff or pieces of it had been banging around inside

i replaced it with the same code box and it started wining after 12000miles so i replaced it whith a UK 754vn1aa, i have explained on your other thread what you need to do in order to do this conversion,

if you are going to run more than say 340bhp then rather look for a 5sp dccd with the 754 casing or go 6sp

i have also know that the 5th gear on the vn1aa has a nice long ratio but it is weaker than the 5th in the close ratio box

if you can find a 754vn1aa from a low milage car and the box has not been opend or repaired and you arent going for high bhp,
i would recomend this conversion

hope this helps

greg

ps: have the clutch checked/changed while the box is out and do have the flywheel machined as you dont want to end up with a clutch judder