Clutch Service queery

Search this Thread

Old 18 November 2010, 01:22 PM
Wagon_Pete
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Service queery

Hi everyone,
Ok so my clutch needs doing however only bought the car a couple of months ago from the garage with a 1 year parts and labour warranty. However as im sure youre all aware these warranties never cover "fair wear and tear" but what constitutes fair? The car is on 76.5k miles and has Full service history (by that i mean a fully stamped book) and from what I have found, Subaru's servicing guide for the WRX says that the clutch should have been inspected at 75k in other words when I bought it. So going by that I can see one of three scenarios.
1) they knew the clutch needed replacing and sold it to me with that knowledge and as such in its self voiding the warranty or
2) The clutch was in good condition at the point of the service and so therfor the fact that it is failing now means that it would not fall under the fair wear and tear heading or
3) They didnt inspect the clutch and so didnt complete the service as required and stamped the book incorrectly and so under these circumstances have not fulfilled the terms of the purchase.
If any of these have been done or not surely I would be able to get the clutch replaced either by the warranty or the garage.
Sorry for rambling on but can anyone confirm my logic?
Cheers
Pete

Last edited by Wagon_Pete; 18 November 2010 at 01:24 PM.
Old 19 November 2010, 09:57 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wagon_Pete
Hi everyone,
Ok so my clutch needs doing however only bought the car a couple of months ago from the garage with a 1 year parts and labour warranty. However as im sure youre all aware these warranties never cover "fair wear and tear" but what constitutes fair? The car is on 76.5k miles and has Full service history (by that i mean a fully stamped book) and from what I have found, Subaru's servicing guide for the WRX says that the clutch should have been inspected at 75k in other words when I bought it. So going by that I can see one of three scenarios.
1) they knew the clutch needed replacing and sold it to me with that knowledge and as such in its self voiding the warranty or
2) The clutch was in good condition at the point of the service and so therfor the fact that it is failing now means that it would not fall under the fair wear and tear heading or
3) They didnt inspect the clutch and so didnt complete the service as required and stamped the book incorrectly and so under these circumstances have not fulfilled the terms of the purchase.
If any of these have been done or not surely I would be able to get the clutch replaced either by the warranty or the garage.
Sorry for rambling on but can anyone confirm my logic?
Cheers
Pete

Pete, You're " p*ssing into the wind " if you think that anyone is going to provide a free clutch at 76.000 miles regardless of whose or what warranty.

There is no way to inspect a clutch in a service, as it requires taking the engine or gearbox out to do that. Obliquely, it refers to clutch operation and what is the condition of the hydraulic hoses and linkage. Removing a box is around 3.5 - 4 hours work None of the schedules allow that time within the service cost.

It is a fair wear and tear item and ought to have done better than 76,000 miles but if it does high town mileage as opposed to motorway miles then it is fair to say it has done its share.

Any time or cost you expend trying to get it done foc is wasted in my opinion you might as well save that money and put it to the cost of the repair that is going to have to be done.

No malice intended above - just a plain few facts.

If we can help you get sorted call me.

David APi

Our new rolling road is rolling, why aren't you here?

Agents for:

Simtek, the most exciting new Ecu for years
Buddy Club exhausts
Hayward & Scott exhausts
Carbonetics clutches
BC suspension
Samco hose kits
Hybrid front mount intercooler kits
AP Racing brakes and clutches
Performance friction products

And of course; the well known APi Performance Exedy organic clutch

www.apiengines.com
www.apiimpreza.com

01926 614333
Old 19 November 2010, 04:57 PM
Wagon_Pete
Scooby Regular

Well as long as SLAB's Clutch is still available then I've just had a quote for the labour at my local garage @ £200 so I pretty much ripped his arm off after the last two places quoted £350 and £500 just for labour.
Old 19 November 2010, 05:03 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer

We only charge £200 + VAT . Any more is opportunism.

David
Old 19 November 2010, 05:06 PM
Wagon_Pete
Scooby Regular

Fair play to that David, the £200 price from my local included VAT but I'll keep you in mind in the future. Though you are a fair distance from me.
Old 19 November 2010, 05:16 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

" The taste of quality lasts far longer than the taste of cheapness."

Jeez, did I really say that at 5 pm on a Friday?, it's more like a Monday sort of thing.....

Good luck, David
Old 01 December 2010, 07:23 PM
dotthedog
Scooby Newbie

I thought a clutch was a whole day job on an Impreza. For an experianced fitter how long does it take start to finish and what is the average price of a good quality oem clutch kit.

eddie
Old 01 December 2010, 07:36 PM
happydude303
Scooby Regular

3 hours tops