Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

STi ecu in a 2001 blobeye wrx?

Search this Thread

Old 30 October 2010, 10:52 PM
Jokah
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STi ecu in a 2001 blobeye wrx?

Im trying to find out if its safe to swap in an STI ecu into my 2001 blobeye wrx.

I eventually plan to have a custom remap but just want to see if theres some cheap gains to be had while I gather the funds.

Currently no mods appart from snorkel mod with green panel filter. Soon I hope to have a straight through exhaust system as well.

Are there any ecu's I'd be able to purchase second hand that would give me a safe performance increase?
Old 30 October 2010, 11:21 PM
bugeyejohn
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont know about the blobeyes but on the bugeyes the sti wont fit the wrx apparently you can fit a prodrive one but its proberly best to sort out any mods then remap
Old 31 October 2010, 12:25 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jokah
Im trying to find out if its safe to swap in an STI ecu into my 2001 blobeye wrx.
As has already been said, it's probably safe in as much as I doubt you could physically plug an 02MY STi ECU into your loom. Even if you could, the car won't start until you resync the immobiliser, and even then it'll run like sh*t due to the significant differences between the STi and WRX engine. So no, this is not something you want to waste your time and money trying.

Currently no mods appart from snorkel mod with green panel filter.
What do you mean by "snorkel mod"? There is no need or point modifying or removing the intake resonator. More likely to reduce performance by doing so than the reverse IME (and that of others).

Soon I hope to have a straight through exhaust system as well.
You're likely to find overboost happening as a result of fitting that, so you'd at least need to fit a boost gauge first and potentially be prepared to pay for a remap straight away if you can't solve it the old fashioned way.

Are there any ecu's I'd be able to purchase second hand that would give me a safe performance increase?
2001MY PPP ECU - complete with the other parts of the kit (at least the Y-pipe and restrictor pill), but again this won't work properly with the exhaust you are thinking of purchasing. Again as above you will also need to figure on paying someone to re-synchronise your immobiliser if you change ECU.

Side point - this thread's not really in the best forum. Might be worth asking one of the mods to move it to Gen Tech.
Old 31 October 2010, 01:54 AM
Jokah
Scooby Newbie

Your advice was exactly what I was looking for. Looks Like I'll just have to be patient and wait untill I've got enough money to do everything at once.
Old 31 October 2010, 06:52 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not even sure that the sti ecu would start the car but it it did it would run like a bag of nails. Some major differences in the ecu set ups such as injector size would mean it would run lean as f**k and the fact that the TGV's will be locked shut will effectively limit the car to about 140 bhp iirc so not really what you would want

Best bet is to save up and get your currect ecu mapped for your current mods. Remaps range from £350 upwards
Old 31 October 2010, 12:06 PM
Jokah
Scooby Newbie

I've been quoted £400 + travel charges to have mine custom remapped. I've just had a look at your website and it looks like you guys have much more experiennce and you do it cheaper.

Expect a call from me in the near future.