Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

DIY clutch change

Search this Thread

Old 25 May 2010, 08:10 PM
wrighty338
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY clutch change

Classic 5sp, how long we looking at? engine out seems the easiest way, is that true as opposed to dropping the box/shafts/prop/diff off instead?

any Speacial tools needed? heard of a clutch alignment tool, whats this
Old 25 May 2010, 09:17 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

I found taking the engine out easiest if you dont have a ramp and a gearbox jack. Clutch allignment tool ensures that the clutch plate is lined up to the centre of the crank and in turn the centre of the geabox shaft, if its not alligned then the gearbox wont go back on because once the pressure plate is bolted down correctly the clutch plate isnt going to move.

Saying that I didnt have a clutch allignment tool I made something up and then did it by eye lol.... went back together first time though.

Also you need to remember to pull the clutch fork shaft out before trying to pull the gearbox from the engine (once everything else is undone). This is done by taking the bung on the gearbox out which is located around the starter motor then threading a long bolt into the end of the shaft which you can then pull out (cant remeber wat thread, M6 maybe) Doesnt come out with a little pull either lol.

If you can find the manual that used to be kicking around on the net then you can follow how to remove the engine quite easily.

Good Luck with it mate!

Gaz
Old 25 May 2010, 09:20 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

p.s. Time wise your looking about a day to take the engine out and a day to put it back in if you havent done it before... probably not even a complete day either quite a slow paced one!

However, if your like me and think.... "oh the engines out now might as well tidy it up abit and add some more mods" then could be around two weeks lol

Gaz
Old 25 May 2010, 09:26 PM
shaunyboyuk
Scooby Regular

engine out can be easyer as said if you dont have a ramp, the boxes are mega heavy. As for clutch fork its a 10mm hex key and m6 thread as said. You still need to take shafts off and pop the prop off.
Old 26 May 2010, 06:56 AM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shaunyboyuk
engine out can be easyer as said if you dont have a ramp, the boxes are mega heavy. As for clutch fork its a 10mm hex key and m6 thread as said. You still need to take shafts off and pop the prop off.
I never took any other shafts or prop off :S ?? I just removed the engine completely. Are you talking about moving the engine forward abit and then the gearbox back abit to get the clutch in?

Gaz
Old 26 May 2010, 07:51 AM
wrighty338
Scooby Regular

surly you can undo the engine and lift it out without taking anything else off
Old 26 May 2010, 09:16 AM
budd
Scooby Regular

the prop attaches to the rear diff, the drive shafts run through the front suspension you've got to remove these!!! both are easy however, simply unbolt the prop and remove, (drain the G/B oil first it makes a right mess on the drive !!!) half shafts slide off once you've knocked out the roll pin and undone the wishbone.
Hire a engine lift if you don't have one, lift the lot out together through the top, if none of the bolts are siezed you should have the lot out in less than 2 hrs, it's one of the easier engines to remove.

Trending Topics

Old 26 May 2010, 10:27 AM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrighty338
surly you can undo the engine and lift it out without taking anything else off
I just took the engine out without taking any driveshafts off and without undooing the prop! It sounds like bud took the engine and gearbox out together maybe?

Not sure what advantage that would give you but I personally just took all the wiring off the engine, labeling all the connnectors up as you go, Undo the downpipe from turbo, 2 engine mount bolts, 6 gearbox bolts and the clutch fork pin (not in that exact order).... then I think I loosend the gearbox mounts and jacked that up a little so the engine and gearbox were aiming up and out slightly, split the gearbox from the engine which was helped by the engine lift and just took the engine out alone! This was shown in my project thread last year and there was definatly no removal of any other shafts lol

Gaz
Old 26 May 2010, 10:42 AM
budd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GazJenno
I just took the engine out without taking any driveshafts off and without undooing the prop! It sounds like bud took the engine and gearbox out together maybe?

Not sure what advantage that would give you but I personally just took all the wiring off the engine, labeling all the connnectors up as you go, Undo the downpipe from turbo, 2 engine mount bolts, 6 gearbox bolts and the clutch fork pin (not in that exact order).... then I think I loosend the gearbox mounts and jacked that up a little so the engine and gearbox were aiming up and out slightly, split the gearbox from the engine which was helped by the engine lift and just took the engine out alone! This was shown in my project thread last year and there was definatly no removal of any other shafts lol

Gaz
sorry your absolutely right, I had some work to do on the gear box so removed the lot, didn't think about it when I posted it, (I've been up since 4am!!) if removing just the engine it's even easier, quite right leave the G/B in place. the release arm fork is the only thing that's unusual in that you need to remove the pivot to release the engine from the box other than that it's straight forward.

Last edited by budd; 26 May 2010 at 10:46 AM.
Old 26 May 2010, 11:10 AM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by budd
sorry your absolutely right, I had some work to do on the gear box so removed the lot, didn't think about it when I posted it, (I've been up since 4am!!) if removing just the engine it's even easier, quite right leave the G/B in place. the release arm fork is the only thing that's unusual in that you need to remove the pivot to release the engine from the box other than that it's straight forward.
no worries... lol I was starting to think I had missed something.

Gaz
Old 26 May 2010, 11:16 AM
budd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GazJenno
no worries... lol I was starting to think I had missed something.

Gaz
No Mate it's just me I think I'm going senile LOL,
Or maybe it’s some Subaru related illness that makes jobs appear more complicated than they actually are, this seems to have been happening a lot lately, perhaps I should buy another Nissan they seemed a lot easier!!