Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Who offers the best replacement Impreza ECU?

Search this Thread

Old 27 March 2002, 01:59 PM
scoobysnacks
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

As above really. Which company's ECU gives the best 'useful' gains of both torque and power across the rev range and how much does it cost?
One more thing - will I still get fantastic gains without replacing my standard catted downpipe (can't be bothered with the hastle of swapping back at MOT time or possibly not being legal on the road...) My car's a 98 WRX with Piper X filter and Magnex straight through centre and Magnex back box.
Thanks for any help.
Old 27 March 2002, 02:13 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It more depends on the map, mapper and your preferences rather than the actual ECU?

Options include Unichip, Ecutek, Link, GEMS, Motec. The first two are not replacement ECUs. You could always run a catted centre section and a decat downpipe - would give a substantial gain.

[Edited by john banks - 3/27/2002 2:14:32 PM]
Old 27 March 2002, 05:44 PM
scoobysnacks
Scooby Regular

Question

Thanks John. Point taken about the mapping. I guess some are more mappable than others though or the company supplying it generally offer a better mapping service? About the decatted centre - Where can I get one that will be good enough for an MOT pass without having to really heat it up and then hope... I know PE do one but the price was very high IIRC. Surley there must be cheaper ones on the market or is a second hand 'heat and hope' UK one the only cheaper option?
Old 27 March 2002, 11:00 PM
FOZ STiV5
Scooby Regular

If you are running an import you will struggle to pass a std MOT anywhere..... they run very rich. Most indpendant subaru garages will be very helpful regarding the latter.... if you get my meaning.

My GEMS has been mapped so that the fast idle speeds during the MOT test will show ideal MOT pass like results

I have another option of a duel map so could run any setup I like??

Cheers,

Julian