Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

What 5 Speed Clutch for a potential 360BHP

Search this Thread

Old 06 March 2010, 07:29 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What 5 Speed Clutch for a potential 360BHP

Have always rated the Exedy well and recommended to others, despite never fitting one myself.

Now my time has come.....
Been running an ADL Blueprint OE Spec clutch for around 6 years and 31,000 miles.
In this time it was initially running 270BHP, then upto 310BHP/305ftlb for about 3 years. The last 2 years 335BHP/310ftlb.

Clutch has finally started to slip 4th.....

I am soon dropping a larger turbo on and am aiming for 350-360BHP.

So do I go for an OE Spec Exedy, the Stage 1 or maybe more ??

Cheers
Old 06 March 2010, 07:34 PM
DaveBeck
412/425 of forged love

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive got a ACT clutch. Got it from the states. might be slightly over kill at present but its there if you want to upgrade power in future

ACT F1 STREET RACING CLUTCH KIT SUBARU IMPREZA WRX 5spd : eBay Motors (item 350203536332 end time Mar-14-10 10:02:30 PDT)
Old 06 March 2010, 07:45 PM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

Having had 2 stage 1 Exedy clutches now - I think I'll be trying the API version next!
Old 08 March 2010, 04:35 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Hi Scott, I would recommend the Exedy Uprated Organic with the anti-judder friction plate. A good clutch that works well: AZTEC PERFORMANCE ONLINE STORE - WHOLESALE PRICES DIRECT TO THE PUBLIC - Clutches & Lightweight Flywheels :: Subaru Impreza :: Exedy Uprated Organic Racing Clutch Kit - Pink Box - Anti-Judder - 5 Speed
Old 08 March 2010, 04:42 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

AP Racing organic
Old 08 March 2010, 07:35 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BOB'5
Cheer Bob'5 saw your link on another thread and pretty sure it's what i'm after. How does yours differ from the Lateral, Scoobyworld etc...items.
PM me if required
Old 08 March 2010, 08:06 PM
172sport
Scooby Regular

Mine judders like a bitch, A mate has the API version and that is almost as bad, I will be trying something different (make wise) when I next change my gearbox.
Old 09 March 2010, 01:06 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

my car is 450bhp/380 ft lb and the Ap works well...
Old 09 March 2010, 01:22 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

There appears to be an anti-judder version available, is that what you are running
Old 09 March 2010, 01:29 PM
New_scooby_04

You need to take into account the condition of the flywheel. No clutch AP, Exedy included will cure judder if your flywheel is past its best.

At the OPs level Exedy organic would cope fine

David at APi good to speak to about this
Old 09 March 2010, 04:15 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by 172sport
Mine judders like a bitch, A mate has the API version and that is almost as bad, I will be trying something different (make wise) when I next change my gearbox.
As I have said before on other threads. It's curious that it has been reported by a 3rd party that the APi clutch judders, when the owner of said clutch has never reported it as juddering directly to APi

David APi

Our new rolling road is ready to roll.

Agents for:

Simtek, the most exciting new Ecu for years
Buddy Club exhausts
Hayward & Scott exhausts
Carbonetics clutches
BC suspension
Samco hose kits
Hybrid front mount intercooler kits
AP Racing brakes and clutches
Performance friction products

And of course; the well known APi Performance Exedy organic clutch

www.apiengines.com
www.apiimpreza.com

01926 614333
Old 09 March 2010, 04:52 PM
172sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by APIDavid
As I have said before on other threads. It's curious that it has been reported by a 3rd party that the APi clutch judders, when the owner of said clutch has never reported it as juddering directly to APi

David APi

Our new rolling road is ready to roll.

Agents for:

Simtek, the most exciting new Ecu for years
Buddy Club exhausts
Hayward & Scott exhausts
Carbonetics clutches
BC suspension
Samco hose kits
Hybrid front mount intercooler kits
AP Racing brakes and clutches
Performance friction products

And of course; the well known APi Performance Exedy organic clutch

www.apiengines.com
www.apiimpreza.com

01926 614333
After you ****ed him about so much why would he bother??????
Old 10 March 2010, 09:43 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer

Originally Posted by 172sport
After you ****ed him about so much why would he bother??????
I seem to recall it was 50-50.

Even so, if someone gets a faulty product, they usually complain even more if the original transaction didn't go as planned.

David
Old 10 March 2010, 10:24 AM
New_scooby_04

FWIW I have an Exedy organic from David on an Impreza with 340+ bhp/torque. I got it originally because the std OEM item was juddering when cold. THe exedy unit has been on there 30+k miles now, never judders and handles the power torque just fine.

Ns04
Old 12 March 2010, 02:23 PM
Bo_Duke
Scooby Regular

David,

Just to clarify, I am the owner of said clutch.

For the record I am complaining about the judder on the clutch you sold me. Are you willing to replace?

I seem to recall it was 50-50.

Even so, if someone gets a faulty product, they usually complain even more if the original transaction didn't go as planned.
The reason I did not complain about the £300 part, was due to the f*cking about I presumed I would receive from API, as per purchasing! Presumably it would have gone along the lines of "Well you didnt fit it correctly.......it must be your flywheel......yada yada yada".

I seem to remember the 'BAD' dealings being considerably less than 50:50, allow me to expand;

1. API charged £40 more than Aztec for some special machine work that eliminated clutch judder......that hasn't.

2. API sent a clutch that didn't fit.

3. API (David) then, after I took my car apart to fit API's clutch and found it didn't fit, tried to tell me the clutch did fit. After David spoke to various mechanics I was again informed it would fit. I distinctly remember having to say "Its like putting a round peg in a square hole" before you were willing to accept it was wrong.

3. After informing you I had a trackday on the Sunday, you were willing to send a new clutch out. Unfortunately, what I received did not resemble a clutch. It was an incorrect delivery.

4. After finally receiving the correct part, it was fitted and then juddered.

5. I then called API numberous times to arrange the clutch return, being told each time you were on the phone and leaving a message for you to call me. You didn't call so I emailed which you also ignored.

6. Then after I gave up, you decided to charge me for the second clutch and send me a bill.

The only thing I can commend API on is refunding the clutch which I should not have been billed for.

As a regular RCM customer I am used to excellent service, Scooby Clinic have also been more than helpful of late. The same I personally cannot say for API and I will not come back again.

Sorry to lay it on the line David, I know a lot of people hold you in high regard, but to come onto a public forum and start questioning why I didn't bring the clutch back, after the initial dealings boiled my blood somewhat!
Old 12 March 2010, 03:20 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

At last, a voice that I can respond to.

The original clutch was incorrect we know that, but if I recall it got caught up in a week where we had 11 parcels delivered wrong all over the country and we moved heaven and earth to get them where they should be.

At that point, it was discovered that the clutch that arrived wasn't a pair, but had an inorrect friction disc, in fact it was the one from a 2.5 WRX, we eventually discovered, but that at the time we didn't stock, or even knew we had. We attempted to get a correct one delivered on the Saturday a.m. to get you to your track day, but after that we had no more contact. I think I posted on here at the time that we assumed it had gone OK.

I sent emails and letters written to your home address asking for the return of the clutch disc. We only had a house phone number and obviously during the day no one answers. Neither did our mobile contact number for you.

After no responses, I probably sent a letter by recorded delivery.

I even went as far as to say in one letter that unless it was returned, we would assume you had used it and therefore it needed paying for.

It was only after we forced the issue by charging you for it that we suddenly got a phone call saying that you should have sent it back.

It came back, we refunded you and all moved on

So, A mess.

But, had I been told that the eventual clutch wasn't up to the job we would have dealt with it properly and correctly, after all it was allegedly a faulty product.

David APi

Last edited by APIDavid; 12 March 2010 at 03:22 PM.
Old 12 March 2010, 03:29 PM
Bo_Duke
Scooby Regular

OK David let's put the past behind us.

Many thanks for the response. How would API like to proceed with replacment of said faulty product?
Old 12 March 2010, 03:46 PM
happydude303
Scooby Regular

well i have have one of dave at api uprated exceedy 400/400 cluthes in and its taken the 390bhp 370ft in my car spot on and its does not have any judder what so ever and no ratles no slliping for 350.00 ish that the cluth to go for no need to spend 500.00 on and ap or helix one for that power, and i use to runa blue print on 350bhp 335ft it lasted for a yera but was in the car for about two years before at over 300 bhp but that exceedy cluth dave does is the one trust me you want regret it
Old 12 March 2010, 03:54 PM
happydude303
Scooby Regular

sorry to bang on about the api clutch but after being sold a **** competion clutch from some turd of a company on here and wasting 300.oo im just so happy... dude
Old 12 March 2010, 03:57 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Bo_Duke
OK David let's put the past behind us.

Many thanks for the response. How would API like to proceed with replacment of said faulty product?

Well, it's parts warranty, so l need the clutch back here for inspection together with its flywheel and we'll move on.

That can be done two or three ways;

Take the clutch off and return it and we'll sort out what's what and if appropriate, send out a free replacement.

OR, you can have a clutch sent out immediately, pending an inspection of the 'faulty unit' that will arrive after the new one is installed. The problem that people don't like about that wa, is that the replacement clutch needs to be paid for and if appropriate, a refund will be issued.

Or you can bring the car here for the work and just pay the labour charge for the removal and installation of the clutch / flywheel. That is done at warranty labour rates which is £36.00 + VAT per hour, instead of £48.00 + VAT per hour . 4.5 hours will be charged.

David
Old 12 March 2010, 05:23 PM
172sport
Scooby Regular

So Knocking on 200 quid just for you to say yay or nay, and you wonder why he couldnt be arsed..............!

Maybe I'm cynical but I have a feeling what the answer would be. LOL

RCM all the way
Old 12 March 2010, 06:23 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Scott.T
Cheer Bob'5 saw your link on another thread and pretty sure it's what i'm after. How does yours differ from the Lateral, Scoobyworld etc...items.
PM me if required
Not sure about Scoobyworld, but the Lateral supplied one will be the same as ours.

AZTEC PERFORMANCE ONLINE STORE - WHOLESALE PRICES DIRECT TO THE PUBLIC - Clutches & Lightweight Flywheels :: Subaru Impreza :: Exedy Uprated Organic Racing Clutch Kit - Pink Box - Anti-Judder - 5 Speed

Originally Posted by Scott.T
There appears to be an anti-judder version available, is that what you are running
Correct, Exedy UK do an uprated anti-judder friction plate, which is what we sell with our uprated 5 speed kits. Exedy OEM replacement clutches have never been an issue.
Old 12 March 2010, 09:16 PM
Bo_Duke
Scooby Regular

Correct, Exedy UK do an uprated anti-judder friction plate, which is what we sell with our uprated 5 speed kits. Exedy OEM replacement clutches have never been an issue.
David,

Taking the nugget of information from Bob'5, before we go down the route of costing me a lot of time or money to resolve this problem....

Is the anti-judder version 100% what was supplied by API? Can you say with 100% certainty, given the mix up's we had? (and the extra $ I paid for it over Aztec's version)

I seem to recall you commented they are sent somewhere locally by API for remanufacter of some description to cure the judder.....

Dave
Old 13 March 2010, 12:33 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Bo_Duke
David,

Taking the nugget of information from Bob'5, before we go down the route of costing me a lot of time or money to resolve this problem....

Is the anti-judder version 100% what was supplied by API? Can you say with 100% certainty, given the mix up's we had? (and the extra $ I paid for it over Aztec's version)

I seem to recall you commented they are sent somewhere locally by API for remanufacter of some description to cure the judder.....

Dave
Dave , We have the friction discs re-lined here in the Uk with competition material supplied by Valeo [ who seem to be the name in clutch friction, similar to Gates are for Cam belts.]

We supply nothing else on our uprated kits. Just occasionally when we get caught short for stock I do supply AP racing friction discs, which actually cost a lot more than the APi version. But an outstanding order needs to be filled ASAP and we take that on the chin.

You will have had an uprated one - no question.

The key to anti-judder is as simple as having a good flywheel surface to run the clutch on in the first place. We do say at the outset on our sales description that we would be unable to support a claim for judder under warranty, if the flywheel is not either skimmed or replaced at the same time as the clutch. Common sense really.

The other thing that can cause judder is poor fitting and letting the weight of the transmission hang on the clutch splines whilst it is battled into place. twist the friction disc and it will always judder, no matter what or who made it.

Dragging the box onto the engine by pulling it in by the clutch housing bolts has a similar effect.

I have no idea what bob'5 stuff is all about, so cannot comment upon his clutches at all.

David
Old 13 March 2010, 07:23 AM
172sport
Scooby Regular

How come when you get them hot, ie slip the clutch a bit they work fine. Well for a short time.

Its almost as if you clear/clean the build-up off the flywheel.

Can you explain this?

To me it doesnt sound like alignment as you can make the judder go away.

I'm convinced its a material issue giving symptoms, much like you get when your brakes pick up, how many folks thought they had warped discs when infact it was pad deposits.......... Clean them up and there fine!

As for poor fitting, it was lined up using an old cut down input shaft,Using a resurfaced fly, the box fell on easy
Old 13 March 2010, 11:24 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

It isn't alignment in use it is alignment when fitting. If the disc is not centralised really well when fitting the box the first time ther is a chance to twist the friction disc on the way in. First time you press the clutch pedal it will align itself properly, but it may not have been that good by eye.

It is also the weight of the box hanging on the spline whilst fitting if all doesn't go smoothly while fitting for the first time. Once distorted they will never straigthen.

The grip/judder thing will be heat related and frankly it can go either way: get better or get worse, no way to tell what it'll do 'til it does it.

All will be revealed when the disc is inspected by who ever, a bit like fingerprints they tell a story from what you see.

David
Old 14 March 2010, 04:01 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by happydude303
well i have have one of dave at api uprated exceedy 400/400 cluthes in and its taken the 390bhp 370ft in my car spot on and its does not have any judder what so ever and no ratles no slliping for 350.00 ish that the cluth to go for no need to spend 500.00 on and ap or helix one for that power, and i use to runa blue print on 350bhp 335ft it lasted for a yera but was in the car for about two years before at over 300 bhp but that exceedy cluth dave does is the one trust me you want regret it
Thanks for the info. A bit of a shock coming on here today to see all this kicking off. i guess thats why I don't come on here so often these days.

Good to read you also had a blueprint, sounds like they cope for a few years.
Mine done 'the ring' last year and a few weeks back the brakes stuck on after a wash...bloody Brembo's (car was sat in the garage for a week with wet brakes). Needless to say a few revs, a touch of clutch slippage and smell was required to back the car out of the garage. that was probably the finalnail
Old 15 March 2010, 10:45 AM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

I have no idea what bob'5 stuff is all about, so cannot comment upon his clutches at all.

David
Just to clarify, Aztec Performance supplied uprated 5 speed clutches come directly from Exedy UK as a complete kit, with the Exedy Uprated Anti-Judder friction plates
Old 15 March 2010, 06:35 PM
172sport
Scooby Regular

Just to clarify, Aztec Performance supplied uprated 5 speed clutches come directly from Exedy UK as a complete kit, with the Exedy Uprated Anti-Judder friction plates

Mine was bought from you so how come mine judders?
Old 15 March 2010, 06:41 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

We've only just started doing the anti-judder version, so unlikely yours will be as you ordered yours back in 2008.

I have the exact same clutch as yours on my own car.

Quick Reply: What 5 Speed Clutch for a potential 360BHP